Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 5,471 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Phoenix from NYC. (I’m originally from the Midwest, husband is from
East coast) We currently live in lower Manhattan and children are aged 4.5 and 2.5. I know very little about Phoenix but looking for guidance on the areas that are a good fit for our family. Housing budget is approximately $2.1M. Ideally we’d like to send our kids to the best possible public school, and we’d like to be part of a community of young families with access to parks, restaurants etc. (pretty common I would think!) What do you think? Paradise Valley? If Scottsdale, which neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Arcadia in Phoenix. 85018. Central, lots of well-off families with kids, gorgeous homes, greenery, central location.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM

69 posts, read 77,305 times
I'd suggest not moving to Arizona. The schools here are an absolute joke even the ones in the best districts. If you do move here. I suggest highly not putting your kids in public schools thats for sure. Look at charters or private sounds like you have the money for that. We have some of the lowest paid teachers in the nation. The Basis Charter schools seem to do alright and seem to be ranked nationally. With the kind of money you have I'd look at moving to North Scottsdale. Also the heat here is insane you never really do get used to the 120 degree we get here 100 + days every year of 100 + degree weather.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM

102 posts, read 111,717 times
Hi! There are quite a few depending on the type of home you are looking for. Parts of Ahwatukee could work. Chandler Gilbert have some great areas and schools. Arcadia and Paradise Valley have some good options too. Having park access probably limits the last 2. Scottsdale has some too for sure. 85254 and 85260 have some nice options.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,471 times
Thanks for all the input.
My husband has now ruled out Gilbert and Chandler as being too far south.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM

69 posts, read 77,305 times
Wise decision not to look at Chandler before we bought our home in North Phoenix. We looked at chandler, Gilbert, Mesa. Commute can take a long time. You really want to look at where the job is going to be and then decide where you want to move from there.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:24 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
I'd suggest not moving to Arizona. The schools here are an absolute joke even the ones in the best districts. If you do move here. I suggest highly not putting your kids in public schools thats for sure. Look at charters or private sounds like you have the money for that. We have some of the lowest paid teachers in the nation. The Basis Charter schools seem to do alright and seem to be ranked nationally. With the kind of money you have I'd look at moving to North Scottsdale. Also the heat here is insane you never really do get used to the 120 degree we get here 100 + days every year of 100 + degree weather.
Thanks, OutdoorGirl. I thought the same thing on reading "best possible public school."

Old 04-15-2018, 04:48 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,186,182 times
With your budget, you have carte blanche. Paradise Valley is an obvious choice and certainly worth your consideration. If I was going to spend $2M it would be at the top of my list.

Some folks have mentioned Arcadia and that could also be an option for you, stay in the Scottsdale School district.

If you want to stay in the close in city Arizona Biltmore Estates and Phoenix Country Club are options.

If you want a Country Club/Golf planned community lifestyle Scottsdale can offer many choices. How suburban do you want to get?

If you want high-rise luxury living in a really cool area the Scottsdale Waterfront is almost like being in a big city.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 PM

45 posts, read 38,325 times
With that kind of money why would you move here? Especially if schools are a concern? People move here because it’s relativley cheap. If I had that kind of budget I’d be on the coast, not In the middle of a burning hot desert.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:37 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Phoenix Country Day School in Paradise Valley is where people who live in two million dollar homes send their kids. It is about $25,000 tuition per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area