Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 48,245 times

Advertisements

I lived there from birth until the late 80s and may be moving back. I know the area has grown/been developed tremendously from yearly visits. I'm early 60s, m, single, moderate politically-but don't really discuss it with more than 3 close friends- and looking to spend $250K. My main concern is avoiding high crime areas. I have friends in the East Valley so that is a primary consideration, but I don't want to live in a home I hate just to be close to them. Also, if I wind up in a condo, noise transference is a main concern. I currently live in an apt and there is NO noise insulation between the units. The maintenance people told me so. Is there a construction type <term> I should look for in that case? Thanks for answering these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,608,873 times
If noise is a concern, look for something with lower density. Apartments and condos would be the worst choice.

Work with a realtor and look for townhomes in south Tempe (Warner and Rural area), near Tempe Public Market Cafe, or anywhere in that area. You'll find folks your age and younger and only 2 shared walls at the most. Also look for smaller single family homes in Chandler. I'm in Andersen Springs. Tons of smaller homes throughout the community. It's quiet for the most part and has greenbelts and little lakes. Very nice for walking.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,233 times
We are in opposite directions I just came from Phoenix (East Valley, Chandler) I'm in a condo here after selling my big AZ home. I've noticed the difference in construction here, very quiet. I'm afraid you are not going to find that solitude in any type of housing in Phoenix area. In a 2 story home you will hear the shower(water running) from upstairs to down.
You may want to consider the newest group of higher end rentals. They have them in several areas. By design their focus is on homeowners downsizing. They have created an atmosphere much different than the big rental developers. Check "Avilla Homes"
(they are all rental single story villas with no shared walls)
Also, there is anew group of mid-rise buildings in and around Chandler Mall. "The Met" and others. Regarding the area info above of Rural & Warner/Anderson Springs/Kyrene Road is a bit more difficult to find "smaller" homes.
Best of luck, when I left last Saturday it was 95

Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,233 times
Construction, in a home look for "post-tension" slab and blown and batt insulation. New construction will give you all the ratings for these. "Mattamy" is building in those areas, however, you will find cost has gone up for what $250K can buy.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM

720 posts, read 736,657 times
We just bought a nice 2 bedr/2bath patio home "detached" single story and in Scottsdale with pool and tennis as part of association at $95/mo hoa fee for < $250k- safe, friendly neighbors, block build btw, and lots to do in the area! That's what I would do if I were the op!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,738,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Victoria View Post
We are in opposite directions I just came from Phoenix (East Valley, Chandler) I'm in a condo here after selling my big AZ home. I've noticed the difference in construction here, very quiet. I'm afraid you are not going to find that solitude in any type of housing in Phoenix area. In a 2 story home you will hear the shower(water running) from upstairs to down.
You may want to consider the newest group of higher end rentals. They have them in several areas. By design their focus is on homeowners downsizing. They have created an atmosphere much different than the big rental developers. Check "Avilla Homes"
(they are all rental single story villas with no shared walls)
Also, there is anew group of mid-rise buildings in and around Chandler Mall. "The Met" and others. Regarding the area info above of Rural & Warner/Anderson Springs/Kyrene Road is a bit more difficult to find "smaller" homes.
Best of luck, when I left last Saturday it was 95
Where did you move to?

Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
We just bought a nice 2 bedr/2bath patio home "detached" single story and in Scottsdale with pool and tennis as part of association at $95/mo hoa fee for < $250k- safe, friendly neighbors, block build btw, and lots to do in the area! That's what I would do if I were the op!
Where is that, if you don't mind me asking?

What is block build? (concrete block and stucco?)

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 PM

720 posts, read 736,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish View Post
Where is that, if you don't mind me asking?

What is block build? (concrete block and stucco?)

Thanks.
Cement block - I think garage is frame? I don't remember inspection done in August. I'll PM you the community don't want to blast publicly - besides, there are plenty of these types of patio homes all over the valley - we wanted detached and no one above/below us - with our own yard!

Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,057,617 times
I think there should be an interior block wall between adjoining units. That's how my late dear Dad built them decades ago.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:25 AM

31,127 posts, read 22,155,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
If noise is a concern, look for something with lower density. Apartments and condos would be the worst choice.

Work wIth a realtor and look for townhomes in south Tempe (Warner and Rural area), near Tempe Public Market Cafe, or anywhere in that area. You'll find folks your age and younger and only 2 shared walls at the most. Also look for smaller single family homes in Chandler. I'm in Andersen Springs. Tons of smaller homes throughout the community. It's quiet for the most part and has greenbelts and little lakes. Very nice for walking.
There really aren't any town homes in 85284, Warner/Rural, under 250k any more. You can get a Town home in Villa Las Palmas for 265 and up. 85284 is one of the most expensive zip codes in the near south east valley. Your zip code would be a good choice as most town homes in this zip code are under 250k and its mostly a really good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area