Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
There are lots of apartments all around the campus. Look at the apartments across Rural Rd. or Apache Blvd.

You wouldn’t even need to drive. Just walk to classes (like I used to do).

But MillBurray said he didn't want to be in the sea of students, so that's not where he's going to want to live.

MillBurray- I would go south of Broadway, or maybe even Southern, near Rural Road, which is Route 72 for the bus line and takes you right to and from campus. You can combine that with the free neighborhood shuttle Orbit buses. You could also go into south Tempe (in this case, south of Southern, along Mill Avenue or Kyrene Road (bus routes 65 and 66, which also serve the campus). Here's the site for the bus info: www.valleymetro.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:01 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
South Scottsdale will be less college’y, nice and a very easy commute. Lots of nice apartments to choose from.
There are some good housing choices in southern Scottsdale, just over the Tempe line. One note of caution, however: Currently bus route 72 runs every 10 minutes between Scottsdale Fashion Square and the Tempe Transportation Center. There is a proposal to reduce that frequency to every 20 minutes starting in October. Scottsdale wants to reallocate its limited spending on public transportation to support more "trolleys" (neighborhood circulators much like Tempe's Orbit) within its own boundaries and is proposing to fund that service partially via cutbacks in regular bus service that connects Scottsdale to its neighbors.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 24,389 times
Thanks! this information has been super helpful. I'd never heard of the Orbit service before, but it seems like an interesting way to get around. I think I'll focus my search on two locations.

South Tempe, since it seems convenient yet not too close to campus. There seems to be a good amount of options for transportation. And just glancing at maps of the area, there are a variety of "basic need" stores close by.

Downtown, I've always enjoyed being in the city. I also recall going to First Friday art festival downtown, I really liked the vibe and the people I met. It also seemed there were people around my age in and around downtown.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillBurray View Post
Thanks! this information has been super helpful. I'd never heard of the Orbit service before, but it seems like an interesting way to get around. I think I'll focus my search on two locations.

South Tempe, since it seems convenient yet not too close to campus. There seems to be a good amount of options for transportation. And just glancing at maps of the area, there are a variety of "basic need" stores close by.

Downtown, I've always enjoyed being in the city. I also recall going to First Friday art festival downtown, I really liked the vibe and the people I met. It also seemed there were people around my age in and around downtown.

I assume you mean downtown Phoenix, yes, that would be workable transportation-wise with the light rail. ASU also runs free buses between the downtown and Tempe campuses. Lots of younger people downtown, especially with the downtown campus.

I think you'd like south Tempe, too, (I've lived there a LONG time, and am a fan) so you have choices.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

22 posts, read 24,389 times
Yes, Downtown Phoenix. I'm from Atlanta and I tend to forget that the colloquial definition of 'downtown' isn't universal. Lol

Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, Downtown Phoenix. I'm from Atlanta and I tend to forget that the colloquial definition of 'downtown' isn't universal. Lol

LOL. Yes, many of our suburbs have "downtowns" of their own.

Hope you find just the place you are looking for.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 PM

720 posts, read 736,657 times
Quote:
Live near the lite rail unless you want to drive - go to apartments.com and see which apts are walking distance -

Old 05-03-2018, 01:59 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,650,962 times
Quote:
I am in the military and plan on separating this year and attending ASU. I have already been accepted to the school as a transfer student so I won't be required to live on campus. I am looking for a place that is convenient to ASU via public transportation or on foot, but also far enough to avoid being inundated in college 'kids'. Ideally I would like a commute that is around 30 minutes or less one way. I was stationed at Luke air force base roughly five years ago, so I am familiar with the Phoenix metro area, but more so the West Valley. Any advice is appreciated.
I went to ASU back in the 90s. Modern ASU has changed. It's a lot bigger, and there is now a metro rail that goes through campus. It starts on the east side near Mesa and goes to Central Phoenix. There are apartments in Mesa and Tempe near that metro rail and close to campus. You could also go into Scottsdale on that rail not too far from Camelback. It also goes to Central Phoenix.

But keep in mind that modern ASU has multiple campus branches. The main Tempe branch is bigger. And there is another branch downtown, ASU East, and ASU West near Thunderbird Road near Peoria/Glendale.
The Mayo Clinic near Fountain Hills also has an ASU branch for healthcare informatics.

You should check out the rail system - a lot of ASU students use it. It's convenient. I wish they had it in the 1990s when I was at ASU.

And thank you for your service. Best wishes at ASU.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I went to ASU back in the 90s. Modern ASU has changed. It's a lot bigger, and there is now a metro rail that goes through campus. It starts on the east side near Mesa and goes to Central Phoenix. There are apartments in Mesa and Tempe near that metro rail and close to campus. You could also go into Scottsdale on that rail not too far from Camelback. It also goes to Central Phoenix.

But keep in mind that modern ASU has multiple campus branches. The main Tempe branch is bigger. And there is another branch downtown, ASU East, and ASU West near Thunderbird Road near Peoria/Glendale.
The Mayo Clinic near Fountain Hills also has an ASU branch for healthcare informatics.

You should check out the rail system - a lot of ASU students use it. It's convenient. I wish they had it in the 1990s when I was at ASU.

And thank you for your service. Best wishes at ASU.

You can't go to Scottsdale ON the light rail.

The problem with the apartments right along the light rail in Tempe is that they cater to students, mostly undergrads. That might not be what MillBurray is looking for.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,370 times
I'm currently an undergrad business student at ASU. I currently live at an off-campus apartment that caters to students (but isn't a massive luxury student apartment complex) in the area east of Rural Rd and north of Apache Blvd. From my front door to my classroom door at W.P. Carey is about a 15-20 minute walk (which I usually do at a leisurely pace). Where I am is pretty quiet, and there are plenty of apartment complexes, houses and small duplexes in the area that have a mix of students and older professionals. Once you get beyond the luxury complexes, its pretty quiet and you certainly don't feel like you're mixed in with a bunch of rowdy college kids. You can easily find one bedroom units where I am for $700/month, and probably even cheaper if you look a little deeper (I live in a 2 bedroom for $600/month). Of course, you can pay less if you're willing to split with a roommate

If I were to go through the housing selection process again, I personally would go with a one bedroom that is a bit farther from campus that is on Tempe's Orbit line, which is a free shuttle service that operates around various neighborhoods in Tempe (Orbit | City of Tempe, AZ). On weekdays, they operate pretty frequently (every 10-15 minutes) and into early and late hours. It's easy to use, mostly quick and allow you to be a little farther away from the activity and noise of campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area