Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM

31 posts, read 162,901 times

Advertisements

I was listening to WBUR at work in Boston. Moving to Phoenix in July, I was wondering for all of you transplanted Phoenecians, how do the PBS station(s) compare to other cities like WHYY (Philadelphia), WBUR & WGBH (Boston), WNET (New York) or even the CBC (Canada)? This applies to both radio and television programming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Keep in mind that PBS is television, and NPR is radio. The two entities are separate, although both organizations and their affiliate stations receive some federal funding via the Corporation for Public Television.

In Phoenix, the PBS station is KAET, Channel 8, which is affiliated with Arizona State University. It's pretty good with a strong HD signal. KAET produces a local news and public affairs program called "Horizon" that does a better job than a lot of print media of covering state government.

Phoenix has two NPR radio stations that are affiliated with Rio Salado Community College. KJZZ 91.5 runs NPR news and talk programming in the day and classic jazz at night. It has a strong signal that can be picked up throughout the metro area. KJZZ does a good job of supplementing NPR national news with its own local coverage. KBAQ 89.9 is the other NPR station, and it focuses on classical music. Unfortunately, it has a weak signal, so you'll need a good antenna to pick it up in some parts of town.

In comparison to some of the stations mentioned in your post, you will not find as many nationally distributed programs produced here, but you will find good local programming and community support.

Last edited by exit2lef; 03-27-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
The AZ PBS stations compare to any city in the US. Their programs are the same as those in all the states. Just at different times. They also have excellent local programs too. The quality of the color and sound is outstanding.
If you have digital/HDTV there is PBS 8, 8-1, 8-2 and 8-3 in the Phoenix Metro area with different programming on each channel.
You can go on the internet to the PBS site and see what is programmed daily/weekly for AZ as well as any other area in the country

Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Keep in mind that PBS is television, and NPR is radio. The two entities are separate, although both organizations and their affiliate stations receive some federal funding via the Corporation for Public Television.

In Phoenix, the PBS station is KAET, Channel 8, which is affiliated with Arizona State University. It's pretty good with a strong HD signal. KAET produces a local news and public affairs program called "Horizon" that does a better job than a lot of print media of covering state government.

Phoenix has two NPR radio stations that are affiliated with Rio Salado Community College. KJZZ 91.5 runs NPR news and talk programming in the day and classic jazz at night. It has a strong signal that can be picked up throughout the metro area. KJZZ does a good job of supplementing NPR national news with its own local coverage. KBAQ 89.9 is the other NPR station, and it focuses on classical music. Unfortunately, it has a weak signal, so you'll need a good antenna to pick it up in some parts of town.

In comparison to some of the stations mentioned in your post, you will not find as many nationally distributed programs produced here, but you will find good local programming and community support.
I'm on the east coast quite a bit. The only thing I HAVEN'T seen on PBS here is Sesame Street!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I'm on the east coast quite a bit. The only thing I HAVEN'T seen on PBS here is Sesame Street!
Do you mean in AZ? It's on in the morning.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 PM

77 posts, read 298,359 times
To clarify what one commenter said above, KBAQ is 89.5. Also, Frank Sprague has an amazing voice.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
To clarify what one commenter said above, KBAQ is 89.5. Also, Frank Sprague has an amazing voice.
I stand corrected. Thanks for setting the record straight on KBAQ's frequency.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

OOOO what channel??? And do they still have it in Spanish? I used to love watching it with my kids. Ah shucks, I'm still a kid at heart. (Don't tell my daughter she'd die on embarrassment!)

Old 03-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

OOOO what channel??? And do they still have it in Spanish? I used to love watching it with my kids. Ah shucks, I'm still a kid at heart. (Don't tell my daughter she'd die of embarrassment!)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,030 times
I was interested in Plazo Sesamo as well, but the puppets are all different, so I didn't like it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: