Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM

22 posts, read 35,009 times

Advertisements

I've seen homes there at a great price. It isn't too far from sports stadiums and the commute to downtown looks reasonable. Anything I should know about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcf View Post
I've seen homes there at a great price. It isn't too far from sports stadiums and the commute to downtown looks reasonable. Anything I should know about the area?
Yes. I don't know the exact boundaries but at a quick glance I would say that you should know that a massive part of that area is very ghetto, the more east the more bad.

Edit: I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but you should at least know what you're getting into if you didn't already know that.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Yes. I don't know the exact boundaries but at a quick glance I would say that you should know that a massive part of that area is very ghetto, the more east the more bad.

Edit: I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but you should at least know what you're getting into if you didn't already know that.
Okay, thanks for the heads up. That's definitely of concern to me. How bad are we talking out of curiosity? Sorry I'm not familiar with the Phoenix area.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the heads up. That's definitely of concern to me. How bad are we talking out of curiosity? Sorry I'm not familiar with the Phoenix area.
Idk man you can ask 10 different ppl and get 10 different answers...I live in a "bad" area and I have zero problems. It's just like any poverty stricken area in any metro in the USA, just maybe more Hispanics and less blacks than a lot of cities...I would say F it, if the price is right then rent here, and if you don't like it you can just move.

If you're trying to buy a house here, I wouldn't buy a house anywhere without spending some time there yourself first.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
It is a very big area of the city, stretches from 23rd Ave all the way west to the city limits with Avondale and Tolleson, and from I-10 down to the Salt River Bed.

Broken up by zip code, it is covered by 85009,85043 and 85353. I would avoid 85009 entirely, which is very poor and high crime. 85043 is better in the south west (south of Buckeye and west of 59th Ave) and worse in the northeast (east of 59th Ave and north of Buckeye). 85043 is also mainly industrial zoned along Buckeye Rd. 85353 is a Tolleson zip code, but also serves Phoenix south of Buckeye and west of 83rd Ave. This is the best of the three areas in Estrella Village. Is quite suburban in nature around 83rd Ave to 99th Ave along Lower Buckeye and along Broadway

The only concern is schools. East of 59th Ave north of Lower Buckeye and east of 67th Ave south of Lower Buckeye is in Phoenix Union High School District, and the schools it's zoned to (Carl Hayden except for the area from 51st to 67th Ave south of Lower Buckeye, which is zoned to Betty Fairfax) are both pretty bad.

The rest of Estrella is in Tolleson Union High School District, and is zoned to three different High Schools (Sierra Linda east of 83rd Ave, Tolleson Union from 83rd to 99th Ave's, and La Joya west of 99th Ave). Not as familiar with the Tolleson Union district as far as school quality, but I think it's below average.

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 05-21-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Had a co-worker lived in that area was lot of crime gun shots, dope house, drug sales, and fights at the park. He got into it with some kids at the park who were tagging up the play ground one kid went got his gang banger brother who pulled up his shirt had a gun tucked in his pants.

Last straw was guy running a barbershop out of his garage some guys went to rob him pulled guns bullets flew up and down the street. He found a few rounds lodged inside his garage dry wall. This was back in 2011 maybe some of that area has gotten better or worse.

You can find crime rate heat maps online most of the issue is theft it's just something I wouldn't' want to worry about when I'm at work all day.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 PM

Based on the replies I'm getting, it seems like Estrella Village might not be the best area to move to. Crime is a major factor in my decision. Can anyone tell me how Goodyear compares Estrella Village as far as crime? And thanks to everyone that responded, I appreciate any and all feedback regarding these areas.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Goodyear has much less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area