Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 119,285 times

Advertisements

What teams do you think will make Superball in 2023?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 12:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post

You mean Super Bowl, and that's a fairly ridiculous question. Predictions for the next year often don't pan out... five years down the road, who knows.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'm curious where the bulk of the festivities will take place in '23, one of the primary lots used for the past 2 super bowls is now under construction with Block 23 taking its place. Civic Space Park could work as well as Hance park, if the renovations are done along with the multitude of other condos/apartments/retail close to the park along Roosevelt and South, Hance could be the perfect hub for downtown events.

Hance Park was used for the concerts during the Final Four, it should work. Renovations should be done by then. Civic Space Park could be sued for smaller outdoor events.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:32 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Those of us who were born & reared here love Arizona for many things, and most of us look forward to the incoming clouds, wind and rain. We want them to arrive early and often.
Absolutely right.
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Jim Cantore (Weather Channel) does NOT have to be here for us to know what's coming. We don't care how hard or soft they're about to come at us -- and we DON'T want every rainstorm to be given some ridiculous name either!
I never watch the Weather Channel anymore. Seems like most of their broadcasts lately are specials about climate change, or something else that's not even related to weather. The weathercasters on the local news channels leave a lot to be desired as well. They're the ones who gloat about how "beautiful" it is when we have unusually warm & dry winters (like this past one) ... however, with the drought worsening, and the wildfire season early & active, they're now acting like it's terrible that we're not getting any rain. They should have been concerned when there was hardly any rain or snow this last winter! If they knew anything about climatology, they would know that the chances of us getting any moisture during May or June are slim to none.

Quote:
I'm curious where the bulk of the festivities will take place in '23, one of the primary lots used for the past 2 super bowls is now under construction with Block 23 taking its place. Civic Space Park could work as well as Hance park, if the renovations are done along with the multitude of other condos/apartments/retail close to the park along Roosevelt and South, Hance could be the perfect hub for downtown events.
Hance Park would be a good location for the events, so long as it's made into a true urban destination, and not just a "deck park" over the 10 freeway like it was originally designed for. Although a lot smaller, it seems that Civic Space Park would be a great location as well. I recall that during the 2015 Super Bowl, one of the ESPN sportscasters commented about UOP Stadium being one of the more sprawling NFL locations. With that in mind, it would be great if the area around it could be built up by 2023 so it would be more of a true destination instead of just another suburban/exurban hit & miss development. But with less than 5 years to go, don't count on it. That's precisely why most of the events took place downtown instead of Westgate, and why there was such a huge crowd.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,663,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
49ers!!!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times
With both L.A. and Las Vegas building new NFL stadiums, this will definitely increase the competition among host cities. The Phoenix area has to prove to be better as far as events, hotel accommodations, dining, attractions, etc. if we're going to be on the revolving list for Super Bowl sites after 2023. What concerns me is the new NFL venue in Las Vegas: it is in a much better location (off a major freeway near many of the famed resorts), whereas UOP Stadium is a little too far reaching for many. Although not completed yet, I already think the Raiders Stadium has many advantages over the Cards Stadium for hosting future Super Bowls.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:48 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
With both L.A. and Las Vegas building new NFL stadiums, this will definitely increase the competition among host cities. The Phoenix area has to prove to be better as far as events, hotel accommodations, dining, attractions, etc. if we're going to be on the revolving list for Super Bowl sites after 2023. What concerns me is the new NFL venue in Las Vegas: it is in a much better location (off a major freeway near many of the famed resorts), whereas UOP Stadium is a little too far reaching for many. Although not completed yet, I already think the Raiders Stadium has many advantages over the Cards Stadium for hosting future Super Bowls.
Vegas will be a strong contender, the only drawback may be gaming limitations if gambling on a locally hosted super bowl is for some reason not allowed. Otherwise it’s hard to imagine a better host city, Vegas does nothing but host tourists year round.

I know the LA stadium is projected to cost $3 plus Billion so I’m sure it’ll be nice but Inglewood isn’t any better than Glendale in terms of an ideal location. LA has a lot of traffic problems without the big game in town but I’m sure they’ll be in the hunt as a warm weather climate in the second largest city.

With a 10 year old stadium and a lot more competition in the Southwest it could be a while before another one comes through the valley. I guess we’ll see how strong our pull is after ‘23.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:04 PM

277 posts, read 276,792 times
Quote:
Vegas will be a strong contender, the only drawback may be gaming limitations if gambling on a locally hosted super bowl is for some reason not allowed. Otherwise it’s hard to imagine a better host city, Vegas does nothing but host tourists year round.

I know the LA stadium is projected to cost $3 plus Billion so I’m sure it’ll be nice but Inglewood isn’t any better than Glendale in terms of an ideal location. LA has a lot of traffic problems without the big game in town but I’m sure they’ll be in the hunt as a warm weather climate in the second largest city.

With a 10 year old stadium and a lot more competition in the Southwest it could be a while before another one comes through the valley. I guess we’ll see how strong our pull is after ‘23.
After 2023 the stadium will be getting close to 20 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing the cards chime up about a new stadium in the mid 2020's anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: