Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 07:54 PM

262 posts, read 203,283 times

Advertisements

I am from the south. And I have traveled a lot. I found a way to find a good soul/southern food restaurant in just about every place I’ve been to. And I have found quite a few out here that are pretty good. Or at least I think so.

I would like to get everyone’s take on their favorite place out here and why it’s their favorite place. But my favorite places are probably as follows I will give my top three

3. Lolos Chicken And Waffles.

With multiple locations all over the valley this place is really good. It’s a little bit more upscale than the other two places I am about to list, however it is extremely good tasting food. I suggested the soul food platter or at least I think that’s what it’s called? It comes with a couple of breast of chicken and your choice of sides. And I think that all of the sides are really really good. They’re sweet tea could be a little sweeter.

2. Papa Joes Fish&Cue.

This place is located off of Bethany home in between 19th Ave. and I 17. I had a boss recommend this place to me a while back and his taste in food is pretty good or at least it matches mine so I took the recommendation. It was one of the few places recommended to me that I thoroughly enjoyed. They have a really good pool pork and I usually go for the fried okra and some purple Kool-Aid. The area may not be as desirable to some, and the parking is pretty crappy, but the food is absolutely amazing and the service is good as well. These people know how to cook, and I think it’s of really good value for the money as well.

1. Mrs. Whites Golden Rule Cafe

This one is located in downtown Phoenix close to the Diamondbacks stadium off of Jefferson. It is by far some of the best food I’ve ever had in my life. It seems as if every black celebrity, including the former president, that has visited this area, has their picture taken with the owner Mrs. Wade on the wall in the restaurant. It’s a great place to eat. It’s been there forever, and from what I understand the owner, Mrs. White, is the grandmother of Lolos from the Lolos chain. They have a pretty basic menu and their prices are pretty simple to follow as well. They are not upscale at all, but you’re not going there for the ambience, you are simply coming for the food and the good service. I love this place it has been recommended to me by multiple people over multiple years but I beat them to it and visited this place within my first couple of weeks here. It’s stood out from everything else in the area and I just had to try it. I was very lucky that I did as early as I did because I have been able to brag to everyone that I have been there. And thoroughly enjoyed myself each and every time.

What are your favorite places? What’s the place that I need to take my girlfriend out to next? Where would I find myself experiencing ‘the itis’?

Last edited by AndyDwyer480; 05-21-2018 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,669,968 times
I only been to Lolo's and their food is garbage. I wasn't impressed one bit.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,297,020 times
Creole Cajun Bistro in South Chandler is really good.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:10 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,472,740 times
Lolo's -- The restaurant's owner has been pursuing aggressive growth via franchising. In the process, quality may have suffered. I'd say it's still worth a try, but I recommend going to the original location in south Phoenix. Actually, the original location was next door. The current space near Buckeye and Central is an expanded version of the original.

Papa Joe's -- Counter service and disposable plates in a more casual atmosphere. When I've driven there, I've never had trouble finding parking. Plus, it's a short walk from the 19th Ave / Montebello light rail station. Joe does three types of fish. I've not been thrilled with the cod or the whiting, but the catfish is excellent, as are the sides and the desserts.

Mrs. White's -- I agree with the OP's description. This is place is literally the grandparent of Phoenix soul food. It can be pretty hectic on Sunday mornings after church. Go on a weekday for faster service.

Some new places to check out:

Rhema -- Recently located from Queen Creek to the Eastlake neighborhood of Phoenix, just a few blocks from Mrs. White's. I had some excellent brisket there recently. I look forward to trying the rest of the menu, including the "Super Brorrito" with fried chicken thighs and collards.

Trapp Haus BBQ -- A small counter service shop on Roosevelt Row. Good brisket and pulled pork. Nice tangy collard greens with a splash of vinegar. I've sampled a lot of the weekday menu and enjoyed just about everything. My next adventure is to try the Sunday brunch entrees like shrimp and grits.

The Root and Soul -- Just opened inside the DeSoto Central Market. Run by another one of Mrs. White's grandchildren. Have not tried this place yet, but it sounds promising.

The Larder + the Delta -- This place served some amazing food in its original location inside the DeSoto Central Market. Favorite included the perlou, a sort of low country rice dish, and the shrimp and grits. The restaurant is graduating to a standalone location, which will be just a block or two from DeSoto (around Portland & 1st Ave). No opening date has been set, but it should be soon.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,915,546 times
I'm from the south also and mrs. whites is the best I've found.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM

408 posts, read 582,656 times
1. Ezekiels in Ahwatukee
2. Lolos (the original location)
3. Mrs Whites - A Phoenix Staple.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:09 PM

262 posts, read 203,283 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have heard of a couple of the places that were recommended and would like to try one or two of them in the near future.

I feel like this is probably the best opportunity to also mention that Tom’s barbecue would be my number two on a barbecue list because they have multiple locations and the one at Southern and country club is pretty darn good. However, I would stay away from Bobby Q if you are new to town and enjoy actual barbecue.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,757,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
I feel like this is probably the best opportunity to also mention that Tom’s barbecue would be my number two on a barbecue list because they have multiple locations and the one at Southern and country club is pretty darn good. However, I would stay away from Bobby Q if you are new to town and enjoy actual barbecue.
Little Miss BBQ wins the prize for barbecue, but it's a Texas approach to barbecue as opposed to a Southern one.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 PM

269 posts, read 217,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Lolo's -- The restaurant's owner has been pursuing aggressive growth via franchising. In the process, quality may have suffered. I'd say it's still worth a try, but I recommend going to the original location in south Phoenix. Actually, the original location was next door. The current space near Buckeye and Central is an expanded version of the original.

Papa Joe's -- Counter service and disposable plates in a more casual atmosphere. When I've driven there, I've never had trouble finding parking. Plus, it's a short walk from the 19th Ave / Montebello light rail station. Joe does three types of fish. I've not been thrilled with the cod or the whiting, but the catfish is excellent, as are the sides and the desserts.

Mrs. White's -- I agree with the OP's description. This is place is literally the grandparent of Phoenix soul food. It can be pretty hectic on Sunday mornings after church. Go on a weekday for faster service.

Some new places to check out:

Rhema -- Recently located from Queen Creek to the Eastlake neighborhood of Phoenix, just a few blocks from Mrs. White's. I had some excellent brisket there recently. I look forward to trying the rest of the menu, including the "Super Brorrito" with fried chicken thighs and collards.

Trapp Haus BBQ -- A small counter service shop on Roosevelt Row. Good brisket and pulled pork. Nice tangy collard greens with a splash of vinegar. I've sampled a lot of the weekday menu and enjoyed just about everything. My next adventure is to try the Sunday brunch entrees like shrimp and grits.

The Root and Soul -- Just opened inside the DeSoto Central Market. Run by another one of Mrs. White's grandchildren. Have not tried this place yet, but it sounds promising.

The Larder + the Delta -- This place served some amazing food in its original location inside the DeSoto Central Market. Favorite included the perlou, a sort of low country rice dish, and the shrimp and grits. The restaurant is graduating to a standalone location, which will be just a block or two from DeSoto (around Portland & 1st Ave). No opening date has been set, but it should be soon.
Gonna try those new places out when I want to splurge. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area