Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM

105 posts, read 287,178 times

Advertisements

First off, I've never owned a house with central air, or even had window units, so my ac knowledge is nil.

We had a house built last year and we had someone come out to look at the unit since it is a year old, just to check that everything is running smoothly, and that there aren't any issues. The tech said that we needed a couple of pounds of refrigerant, but that he didn't see any evidence of a leak.

This seems really odd that a one year old ac unit would need more refrigerant. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntin View Post
First off, I've never owned a house with central air, or even had window units, so my ac knowledge is nil.

We had a house built last year and we had someone come out to look at the unit since it is a year old, just to check that everything is running smoothly, and that there aren't any issues. The tech said that we needed a couple of pounds of refrigerant, but that he didn't see any evidence of a leak.

This seems really odd that a one year old ac unit would need more refrigerant. Is this normal?

Sad to say, but yes, its quite common here in PHX. Homes are thrown together far too fast and far too cheap. My friend has been in his house for 40 days and has had to replace a capacitor already. 40 days!!!

Old 05-29-2018, 02:57 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,253,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Sad to say, but yes, its quite common here in PHX. Homes are thrown together far too fast and far too cheap. My friend has been in his house for 40 days and has had to replace a capacitor already. 40 days!!!
Good thing there is a warranty. All builders I'm aware of have a 1-2-10 warranty. 1 year on everything, 2 years on systems (electric, water, actually, etc.), and 10 years on structure. The OPs problem and this one would be covered on the 2 year at the least.

I've never had AC issues from a builder but there have been plenty of other problems.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:59 PM

44,660 posts, read 61,722,489 times
OP...Too many variables. That refrigerant thing could also be a racket. Happens frequently with unscrupulous techs. Our Trane 14 year old AC has never needed any refrigerant.
And 2 lbs, hmm, sounds fishy to me, get a second opinion.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:01 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:

Not 'normal.'

Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,487,033 times
No, not even close to normal. Absolutely a leak somewhere, tell them to fix it correctly, that is what you paid for when they installed it. They are sealed systems and in a perfect world should go decades without needing to be refilled.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,239,289 times
Remember, there are several levels of air conditioning.

Regular, Super, Extra Strength, Double Extra Strength, Nuclear Test Zone, and Phoenix Summer.

(tongue in cheek, ducks from the rubber chickens thrown at him)

Old 05-29-2018, 07:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:

Not at all normal, something has to be off and I'd get a second opinion on the leak. I've owned 2 new homes and 4 new A/C units in the valley and have not seen this issue before on a new unit.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Point 1: AC units do not consume refrigerant. If you are down, it was not charged enough to begin with or has a leak.

Point 2: There are no honest AC techs in the Phoenix area. It is best to avoid checkups as they are most often just a scam. The best check up is performance. If it blows cold air, it is working just fine. Get a thermometer and measure the temp of the air coming out of the vent closest to the air handler (the inside unit) and the temp of the air going to the return (pretty much the house temp). If you get 20 degrees colder than the air going in, great. 15, probably still OK. Anything less, you probably do need that refrigerant charge or have some other problem.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 AM

121 posts, read 117,445 times
Not in Phoenix yet but SOON.......that is not normal. If u need it there's a leak ! When u do need it you will blow warm air...After 10 years i found out mine needed it after I turned on the ac left and came home to find my place was 10 degrees warmer...Called got it filled and haven't had an issue since and was also informed there WAS a leak or he wouldn't of needed to be there and he put some kind of junk in it to seal the leak with the disclaimer that it may or may not hold (it did) and haven't had an issue since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: