Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 8,560 times

Advertisements

I have always purchased cars from car dealerships. My son is interested in buying a car from a private seller.
What steps do we need to take to make sure it has a clean title and to have it registered? How do we get a temporary license plate so it can be driven right away?
Please let me know any other information I’m not thinking of. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 03:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
First and foremost, PJ35 . . .

HAVE IT INSPECTED BY A QUALIFIED MECHANIC.

Here is the link to the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division website. https://servicearizona.com

Any and all questions concerning registration and title are clearly answered as well as telephone numbers.

Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:21 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
1: Title must be notarized. Typically a seller will already have done this in order to make the transaction go quickly. Many illegal "car dealerships" (individuals that sell more than 3 cars per year) will purchase a car, clean it up and re-sell the car so if you are running into one of these people, the title will not be in their name.

2: You can print out 3-day temp tags on servicearizona.com I think there is a nominal fee. If the tags are still good, I wouldn't worry about it, but if they are expired, you may want to. Problem is you will need the VIN in order to do this so it may not be practical until you get it home, unless you can get the seller to release the VIN to you before hand. This is not an un-reasonable request and shouldn't be a problem with an up front seller.

3: Find a TSI/Third Party title place nearby to do the title transfer. If you feel like something is shady, do this so if anything is wrong with the title, they will catch it. Exchange the cash once the title transfer is in place. Also, it is always a better feeling to walk away from a vehicle purchase with a clean title in your name. TSI/Third Party place can do the registration right there as well unless the vehicle in question needs an inspection. I would have the seller do this beforehand if it is required for registration.

Besides the question of mechanicals...if the car is new enough to have an OBDII port...I would definitely get something like BlueDriver or an OBDII scanner and check for fault codes during the car inspection. Depending on the make/model of the car there are some vehicle specific apps as well. BMWs I would use Carly for BMW and scan EVERYTHING, not that some mechanical/systems issues are a deal breaker, just so that you know what you are getting into.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
You can print a temporary plate online and run a lien search.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
1: Title must be notarized. Typically a seller will already have done this in order to make the transaction go quickly. Many illegal "car dealerships" (individuals that sell more than 3 cars per year) will purchase a car, clean it up and re-sell the car so if you are running into one of these people, the title will not be in their name.

2: You can print out 3-day temp tags on servicearizona.com I think there is a nominal fee. If the tags are still good, I wouldn't worry about it, but if they are expired, you may want to. Problem is you will need the VIN in order to do this so it may not be practical until you get it home, unless you can get the seller to release the VIN to you before hand. This is not an un-reasonable request and shouldn't be a problem with an up front seller.

3: Find a TSI/Third Party title place nearby to do the title transfer. If you feel like something is shady, do this so if anything is wrong with the title, they will catch it. Exchange the cash once the title transfer is in place. Also, it is always a better feeling to walk away from a vehicle purchase with a clean title in your name. TSI/Third Party place can do the registration right there as well unless the vehicle in question needs an inspection. I would have the seller do this beforehand if it is required for registration.

Besides the question of mechanicals...if the car is new enough to have an OBDII port...I would definitely get something like BlueDriver or an OBDII scanner and check for fault codes during the car inspection. Depending on the make/model of the car there are some vehicle specific apps as well. BMWs I would use Carly for BMW and scan EVERYTHING, not that some mechanical/systems issues are a deal breaker, just so that you know what you are getting into.
+++1

No matter if the title doesn't show any liens, you need to go to a dmv center or a third party dmv to verify no liens. I got burned on this once - go to a dmv center to verify that there aren't any liens! Government liens can be added even though they don't show on the title.. Child support, tall weeds, whatever, too much drama, you're buying a car, not a slot on jerry springer. Do the cash exchange at the dmv after verifying no liens!

Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
I usually just meet the seller with the vehicle down at one of those 3rd party MVD places get the entire transfer and registration done you will be required to bring an insurance card from another car you own to prove you have insurance before they will register it. If you don't have insurance yet they will only transfer the title and give you a 30 day temp registrations. It cost like $20 but well worth it you only wait short amount of time lot of them are open 9am-9pm at night.

The issue I have found with titles some people buy a vehicle from someone else who has had it notarized and signed, but the person your dealing with he is not that person.

A friend of mine paid $3500 for a car drove away with a title like this when we went to get it transferred the MVD told him the old owner had gotten a new title because the guy he bought it from was making payments and didn't pay him all the money.

He had to pay this other guy $1000 to get a clean title. Then he took the guy he bought it from to small claims but he never showed up to court. The court awarded $1500 to my friend but now he can't find this guy to collect the money.

I have bought many used cars, trailers, and motorcycles from private parties never had this happen to me 99% of the sellers honest. I won't buy from a private seller who refuses to meet me at a 3rd party MVD location the good thing is you get it all done at the same time.

If you are trying to sell a vehicle private party never take a check any check no matter who they say it came from always meet them at the bank have the bank cut you a check in person or cash only. Never accept out of town deals lot of scams out of India they text you or call you saying they will send you a cashiers check or money order.

Last edited by kell490; 06-16-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area