Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 PM

43 posts, read 112,246 times

Advertisements

I am new to AZ and as I am considering sofas for my new home, I wonder how leather furniture does in this dry area. Any problems? What about wood tables?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Should probably consider all plastic. No one has leather or wood furniture here.

j/k...if you are worried about it get a humidifier, if not, just normal leather cleaning/conditioning will take care of it. Haven't had any problem with wood indoors either.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpepsi View Post
I am new to AZ and as I am considering sofas for my new home, I wonder how leather furniture does in this dry area. Any problems? What about wood tables?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Should probably consider all plastic. No one has leather or wood furniture here.

j/k...if you are worried about it get a humidifier, if not, just normal leather cleaning/conditioning will take care of it. Haven't had any problem with wood indoors either.
Normally, as long as leather furniture remains indoors, it should be no major problem -- unless you have frisky cats and dogs which many animal lovers allow all over their furniture (as well as all over their guests)!

Old 06-22-2018, 05:43 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
I'll use Lexol conditioner on my leather furniture. Thus far, no problems but compared to where I've lived elsewhere it sure seems to soak the stuff up when applied which I suppose indicates a lot of moisture is being drawn out due to the weather. Just a precaution.

As for wood, cabinetry and such, if I'm going on an extended trip with the HVAC shut down I'll usually fill a few Home Depot 5 gal. buckets with water and put them around the house. Again, just to be on the safe side.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 PM

43 posts, read 112,246 times
Thank you for humoring me ��

Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'll use Lexol conditioner on my leather furniture. Thus far, no problems but compared to where I've lived elsewhere it sure seems to soak the stuff up when applied which I suppose indicates a lot of moisture is being drawn out due to the weather. Just a precaution.

As for wood, cabinetry and such, if I'm going on an extended trip with the HVAC shut down I'll usually fill a few Home Depot 5 gal. buckets with water and put them around the house. Again, just to be on the safe side.
I'm just cruising the City/Data Forum and decided to look in on Phoenix.

It's amazing how different areas of the country can be. You guys want to humidify in the summer, we want to get rid of it. I even have my crawlspace "encapsulated" with a full vapor barrier and a dehumidifier. A couple of days ago we had a dewpoint of 80 degrees ... that is considered "miserable". Relative humidity at the time was about 75%, and even in the middle of the day we're doing good to drop to 50% so it makes 90 feel like a rain forest.

I used to spend a lot of time in Yuma at the Proving Grounds and had an opportunity to play golf one day. It didn't feel so bad, even though it was about 107 as I recall. Grabbing a club would send a person to the ER with serious burns though.

I bought my son a tee shirt once that had a skeleton riding a donkey through the desert, and it said "But it's a dry heat". He loved that shirt.

You guys enjoy your summer.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:55 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm just cruising the City/Data Forum and decided to look in on Phoenix.

It's amazing how different areas of the country can be. You guys want to humidify in the summer, we want to get rid of it. I even have my crawlspace "encapsulated" with a full vapor barrier and a dehumidifier. A couple of days ago we had a dewpoint of 80 degrees ... that is considered "miserable". Relative humidity at the time was about 75%, and even in the middle of the day we're doing good to drop to 50% so it makes 90 feel like a rain forest.

I used to spend a lot of time in Yuma at the Proving Grounds and had an opportunity to play golf one day. It didn't feel so bad, even though it was about 107 as I recall. Grabbing a club would send a person to the ER with serious burns though.

I bought my son a tee shirt once that had a skeleton riding a donkey through the desert, and it said "But it's a dry heat". He loved that shirt.

You guys enjoy your summer.
Yep...

Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Yep...
Fantastic!

Old 06-29-2018, 03:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Keeping leather upholstery in a car parked outside has its problems. I'm constantly spraying leather conditioners on mine. Some areas are dried up beyond hope.

I Recommend garages and frequent leather conditioner applications.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
We have a large leather sectional and have had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: