Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,242 times

Advertisements

I came out here for a job about 2 years ago and bought a house in a newer neighborhood in Avondale. I have friends in the area and didn't do a lot of research because I figured if it was good enough for them it was fine for me. I bought a house in January of 2007 and got what I thought was a good price at the time. Since then I figure the selling price has dropped at least 15%.

This neighborhood has lots of renters, the HOA is strained, and the overall appearance has dropped. The increasing amount of graffiti and junk sales on Saturdays turns my stomach.

I feel now I was totally naive to the real estate situation out here and I rushed into a situation.

My job isn't working out and I want to move back to my home state in 2 years. If there are any residents of the west valley who could give me some insight on what they think the next 2 years will mean for me in selling my house I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,193,263 times
I'm somewhat optimistic about the market turning around, but I don't think Avondale will recoup for a while more. Some areas will do much better than others. But, if your area is going down in appeal (it already doesn't have much of a positive appeal) then it will be that much harder to recover. If you lived in a really nice, desirable area, then you *might* be able to recover in two years (but probably not by 15%). Others will say another 5-10 years to get back to 06-07 prices. No one knows for sure.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 PM

307 posts, read 955,932 times
Default Home state?

Where are you from?

Curious....

Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,242 times
Default home state

my home state is Kansas.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 PM

307 posts, read 955,932 times
Default Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjoe View Post
my home state is Kansas.
I have some family outside KCMO area...

I thought about relocating to that area; however, my wife is from East coast and I cannot convince her about the KC area (KCK or KCMO).

Our family lives in a smaller town about 60 miles from state line...

We've had nice visits in both summer/winter, seems like a nice area!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 AM

132 posts, read 594,091 times
where did u buy in Avondale. the prices were still bit high in beginning of 2007 so I agree with SABLEBABY that I don't think 2 yrs will help you even to even out.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 PM

39,128 posts, read 51,416,088 times
I don't think you are in a really good position. My crystal ball says prices on the new homes are near bottom now, so look at what a new home in your area same as yours would cost. Maybe you can get a bit more because you have decorated and have landscaping. Once the buyers return, prices are going to bounce a little as builders cut the incentives and try to regain profitability, most significantly at the low end. The 120K house will be a memory. Once that has worked through it's back to appreciation at about the inflation rate unless you are in a hot area that was underpriced for the sudden interest. Avondale is not going to be that kind of area, I don't think. If you are 15% down right now, you're looking at 3-4 years to get back to even IF the market stabilizes fairly soon. On the bright side, you could have bought in 2006 and then you would be much worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area