Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:12 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Why does she need to send her husband to do that?
I guess if she prefers confrontation than she could just do it herself. Personally as a husband I would never send my wife to do that, but I guess every relationship has different dynamics.

Regardless of that, someone on your lease should go down and plead your case.

I'm not trying to get into a whole debate on sexism lol, and my apologies if that's how my post sounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 03:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I guess if she prefers confrontation than she could just do it herself. Personally as a husband I would never send my wife to do that, but I guess every relationship has different dynamics.

Regardless of that, someone on your lease should go down and plead your case.

I'm not trying to get into a whole debate on sexism lol, and my apologies if that's how my post sounded.
Requesting that an air conditioner be fixed isn't very confrontational and seems like a task that anyone could handle. It just seemed bizarre and patronizing that a woman came here and asked for help and the response was to tell her to send her husband. I guess you didn't mean it that way.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:05 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Turn your water heater off except for an hour in the morning (and one hr in the evening if needed). I wash dishes and shower in the a.m. so my heater is on for an hour in the a.m. It's more than enough to do what I need in the a.m., and the water is still warm enough around dinner time to do another batch of dishes if needed. It really does save $ on the power.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaXArte View Post

Also, I have a question: Yesterday was a pretty hot day and our A/C would only go up to 80 (no matter how low we set it). Is this normal or is something wrong with our A/C? I lean towards this simply being the new normal (no matter where you live), but my husband insists that it isn't. I just think we live in a desert, you know? lol.
It's not normal - you should ask the office to check your A/C. Of course don't be surprised if they tell you it's fine. That's what my complex did. About three days later it was blowing only hot air. They fixed it at that point and it's been working great ever since then.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
men negotiate better than women
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I mean, should we even let them vote?

Don't bust his chops. He was only generalizing. I thought generalizing was fair-game on C-D?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-08-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,803 times
Hey everyone! Thank you all for the replies and tips. I'm going to be researching and looking into a lot of those things.

And I will ask my office about the A/C. I'm currently awaiting the "lease renewal" offer from them, so I won't rock the boat just yet, but as soon as I sign the renewal, I'll be asking them to fix the A/C.

Also, I totally think women can handle confrontation and all that, but personally, I'm too nice. I let my husband handle that kind of stuff because I feel bad giving people a hard time. LOL. But that's just me. My sisters in law are totally the opposite and will fight until they get what they want. To each their own!

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM

551 posts, read 1,591,308 times
You air conditioner (and I mean AC not a swampie) should be under 80 degrees if you set the thermostat for a lower temperature. It needs to be checked out.

You are doing the right things. Close black out curtains. Try not to run unneeded electronics as electronics produce heat. Do laundry at night and if a clothesline is available hang your clothes up outside. The warm night air will dry the clothes.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,050,658 times
All those little tiny tips are fine and dandy, but they don't solve the root of the problem. The AC probably has a refrigerant leak or was improperly charged. The OP's experience brings back bad memories for me when I was in the same situation.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 PM

551 posts, read 1,591,308 times
I agree the AC needs to be looked at. Doing small things add up to bigger things.

If truly desperate I think you can place bottles of ice in front of a fan. The air blowing across the frozen bottles should help cool things off in a localized area. I have several of the Lasko 4924 High Velocity Blower Fans. There is a newer model out but I haven't tried it. I can recommend the 4924 as it cools you off. Best fan we've ever owned.

Link: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Easy...-Water-Bottles

Old 07-10-2018, 12:46 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
All those little tiny tips are fine and dandy, but they don't solve the root of the problem. The AC probably has a refrigerant leak or was improperly charged. The OP's experience brings back bad memories for me when I was in the same situation.

How do you know though?

Was the A/C on all night and never dropped below 80?

What was the internal load?

Did the cooling load match the system design?

There are too many variables to jump to the conclusion that the A/C has a leak (and the old charge of "you need more refrigerant").

I'm not saying the OP doesn't have a problem, but posting "my A/C won't hit 80" is not a service call I'd want to take without more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: