Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 PM

727 posts, read 716,088 times

Advertisements

We will be in Phoenix for a tour of ASU in August. We fly in on Sunday evening, and leave out on Tuesday morning. The tour is on Monday morning.

I'm debating whether to rent a car and, if I do, what routes to take. Then, what to do or see in a short visit.

The hotel is the Hyatt Place North on N. 25th Ave. It has a local area shuttle (but not airport transportation) that runs until 8pm.

I'm thinking that by the time we get out of the airport, it will be probably 7pm. If I rent a car, I usually like to take non-highway routes when I can. (I actually do that where I live now, too.) Google shows N. 7th Ave as an avoid highways route. Is that going to be ok, as in safe and not terribly aggravating? We won't be in a hurry and it would be nice to stop at a grocery store and eat dinner on the way to the hotel. Since it's Sunday, I'm guessing we shouldn't expect terrible traffic.

How about that route going back to the airport on Tuesday? The flight is late morning, so we probably need to be at the airport around 8:30.

Rental car prices aren't bad, something like $115 for the stay. It looks as if public transportation takes about 3x longer than driving because of all the stops. I haven't priced Uber, but am thinking that Tuesday am. is commuter time, and might be surge pricing.

Finally, what suggestions do you have for something entertaining (and probably indoors) for Monday afternoon? Something unique to the area but not too far away.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
7th Avenue is a busy, wide arterial street with center lanes that reverse direction from morning to evening. It can feel a lot like a highway. 15th Avenue would be a more calm alternative.

If you prefer public transport, you could take light rail from the airport to the station at 19th Ave / Dunlap. From there, you could use either the hotel shuttle or a taxi to travel the last mile or two to the hotel.

One question, though: If your reason for the trip is to tour ASU, why not stay closer to campus?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 PM

Thank you, exit. I'll take a look at that route. It sounds more like something I'd like.

I wouldn't mind using public transportation, but since the hotel shuttle stops at 8pm, I wasn't sure about getting up there in time to use it the first night since we don't land until after 6pm.

We're touring the West campus, and the Hyatt was one of the two hotels the school recommended as closest to there.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:22 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
We're touring the West campus, and the Hyatt was one of the two hotels the school recommended as closest to there.
Okay. That makes sense. I was assuming (incorrectly) that you meant the Tempe campus. There aren't any hotels within walking distance of ASU West, so the Hyatt Place may very well be one of the closest options.

In terms of something to do indoors on Monday afternoon, I can't think of anything near ASU West other than movie theaters, malls, and bowling alleys. That campus is in a suburban part of Phoenix on the Glendale border and not near a lot of major cultural attractions. If you want something unique to Phoenix, I'd suggest either the Heard Museum or the Musical Instrument Museum. Both are open Mondays, but they're also more than 10 miles from your hotel, so the rental car is probably a good idea.

Last edited by exit2lef; 07-11-2018 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 AM

I should have mentioned which campus. Sorry about that.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Renting a car would be preferable. Public transportation outside of a few corridors is unreliable and doesn’t often showcase the best of humanity. The Hyatt Place where you’re staying is off of a frontage road of a freeway, so there is no direct access to the bus line unless you’re willing to walk 5-10 minutes to Peoria Avenue to catch the bus. It will be August too, which I think makes the idea of taking public transit even less desirable.

I would take freeways as the surface streets will create a much longer trip with all the traffic lights. The surface streets here act as freeways, with people driving well above the speed limit and engaging in all sorts of stupidity.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:44 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
In the heat of July????? Yeah, rent a car.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I would take freeways as the surface streets will create a much longer trip with all the traffic lights. The surface streets here act as freeways, with people driving well above the speed limit and engaging in all sorts of stupidity.
Yikes! Now I'm not sure I even want to drive. Usually, I can depend on the local routes to be a little calmer than highways. I don't mind a longer drive, if it's less crazy than a freeway. I try to avoid highways in unfamiliar places because I don't know the ins and outs (for example: which lane to get into and when, where the exits are wonky, where the "splits" are. Things like that.) You can't always depend on navigation, either. She has let me astray more than once, and I have lost connections before. That is not fun.

How is Uber there?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
How is Uber there?
Uber works fine in the valley.

I would say this: The Phoenix Metro is a very car-centric area. If you are planning on having a car once moving here, then rent a car. If you are planning on relying solely on Uber/Public Transit, then do that. Either way, you will soon realize that having access to a vehicle is much more of a necessity here than in many other cities.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Uber works fine in the valley.

I would say this: The Phoenix Metro is a very car-centric area. If you are planning on having a car once moving here, then rent a car. If you are planning on relying solely on Uber/Public Transit, then do that. Either way, you will soon realize that having access to a vehicle is much more of a necessity here than in many other cities.
I'll only be there for 1 1/2 days.

Leaning towards Uber right now as long as it's readily available.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area