Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereld View Post
This is interesting, I was under the impression that humidity wasn't an issue there, nor where mosquitos! I have been looking in the Fountain Hills area, but I am absolutely open to other areas. Do you have any recommendations on where I should NOT look, specifically because of mosquitos?
They NEVER tell you it gets humid here, but its a lie. This entire month has been a swampy mess. It happens every monsoon season. Currently the humidity is 52% and the dew point at 67 degrees. That's sticky as hell. Our record dew point this month has been 75 degrees. That is Louisiana levels of moisture in the air.

Don't let anyone tell you "oh, its not as bad as such-and-such place". Some of the humidity burns off in the afternoon, but mornings and evenings can rival anywhere. And this lasts from July til the end of September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
This is interesting, I was under the impression that humidity wasn't an issue there, nor where mosquitos! I have been looking in the Fountain Hills area, but I am absolutely open to other areas. Do you have any recommendations on where I should NOT look, specifically because of mosquitos?
It's nowhere near Florida humidity levels. Don't worry about it. Most transplants from actual humid areas don't even bat an eye. I've seen less than a dozen mosquitoes in my almost 5 years here and I've lived in several parts of the valley.

That being said, let's not turn this into another humidity argument weather thread. There's more than enough of those already.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
OP, form your own opinion. As of this exact moment, our humidity and dew point levels are just slightly off of Miami's. I'm talking 6 degree dew point difference, and 8% humidity difference. Have no fear, this post will be deleted because its FACTUAL proof that we can and do get as hot and humid as anywhere else. Regarding mosquitos, some areas are plagued, others are not. My area in Scottsdale has a ton of them. I'm just letting you know beforehand. Areas of Tempe require mosquito fogging, just like you'd find out east or down south.

Phoenix:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...ate/2017-07-15

Miami:
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/fl/miami

Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It's nowhere near Florida humidity levels. Don't worry about it. Most transplants from actual humid areas don't even bat an eye. I've seen less than a dozen mosquitoes in my almost 5 years here and I've lived in several parts of the valley.

That being said, let's not turn this into another humidity argument weather thread. There's more than enough of those already.
Agreed, I'm from Toronto and it's NO WHERE near as humid as Toronto (which is WAY less humid than FL). I hate humidity and I find it great here.

OP, go online and Google the humidity % in Tampa and PHX and you'll see a HUGE difference - it is very short lived here.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:32 AM

277 posts, read 276,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was planning to move to Las Vegas before I moved to Phoenix. What made the final decision for me was the job market (not great in Las Vegas) and the fact that LV is colder in the winter. I visit LV as often as I can and cook consider it a second home. It's a quick 45 minute flight or 4-5 hour drive away.

LV is definitely a 24 hour town. I've had issues finding dinner after 9pm in Phoenix! But both cities have a lot of great dining options.

As far as mountain views, I'd say in Phoenix check out North Scottsdale or the Cave Creek area. You won't find mountain views in the southeast suburbs like Chandler as someone suggested.

LV does have My Charleston which is about 40 miles outside the city, the closest higher elevation to Phoenix is Flagstaff.

I love Las Vegas and may still move there one day but I'd say for your list of wants I'd settle on Phoenix and visit Las Vegas often.
As long as you aren’t in a commmuter suburb most restaurants serve diner till 10 or 11 and some bars and fast food are till 2am or 24 hours.

Of course nothing is 24hrs like Vegas even most of nyc is quite after 2am

Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It really isn’t as “humid” as it gets it’s like 40% and usually at night or in the morning.

Anywhere in Scottsdale you are about 15 minutes from upscale walkable shopping and entertainment

Anywhere up in paradise valley or uptown Phoenix or Arcadia is even closer and you have thebbudget and income for those very desirable areas which beat the pants off of Vegas both as neighborhoods and for non-gimmick tourist nightlife’s

Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:

Super humid? No. Not compared to Tampa. For a few months in the summer, humidity is higher, but not as high Florida or lots of other places, and it varies more from day to day depending on the strength of the "monsoon" circulation. Mosquitos are not the issue they are in FL, either. Yes, we have them, more so in the areas where there are more green lawns, flood irrigation, etc. which are found in parts of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa, and perhaps in those neighborhoods that border agricultural areas. Outside of those areas, they are not a real issue. My sister lives in central FL, so I have personal experience with the humidity and the mosquitos.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Super humid? No. Not compared to Tampa. For a few months in the summer, humidity is higher, but not as high Florida or lots of other places, and it varies more from day to day depending on the strength of the "monsoon" circulation. Mosquitos are not the issue they are in FL, either. Yes, we have them, more so in the areas where there are more green lawns, flood irrigation, etc. which are found in parts of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa, and perhaps in those neighborhoods that border agricultural areas. Outside of those areas, they are not a real issue. My sister lives in central FL, so I have personal experience with the humidity and the mosquitos.
BIG CATS is on a mission to prove that we are as humid as the south because at specific points it can be humid.

Of course that’s dumb and like saying we get cold because it has at times gotten down to the low 20’s in Phoenix, or that Minnesota is hot becuase it’s gotten to triple digit temps during heat waves.

We just had a very unusual and swampy week of monsoon storms that is extremely uncommon and therefore we are basically south Florida lol

Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 AM

189 posts, read 230,840 times
wtf mosquitos!?! lol someone's on crack

Old 07-19-2018, 11:46 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Certain areas have mosquitoes. Gilbert and Chandler fog when it gets bad as well. Normally around greenbelts, lake communities, etc. Somewhere with water. We get them in the backyard for a couple of months every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area