Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:27 PM

2,607 posts, read 2,335,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
Vegas Cons:

2. More crime. Crazy **** goes down in Vegas. Real crazy.

What crazy **** goes down in Vegas but not Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:30 PM

277 posts, read 277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
What crazy **** goes down in Vegas but not Phoenix?
Believe it or not Phoenix doesn’t have a terrible crime rate for a large city, pretty low murders and most of the crime is related to illegal immigration/drug dealing stuff

Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,984,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
wtf mosquitos!?! lol someone's on crack

Are you joking? I cant tell. If you're not, theyre a big problem in many areas (mine included). Did you know 11 people died in AZ from West Nile in 2014 alone? Did you know that areas of the Valley have to spray to kill them all? Its all in the article below.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...sing/25004481/

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Are you joking? I cant tell. If you're not, theyre a big problem in many areas (mine included). Did you know 11 people died in AZ from West Nile in 2014 alone? Did you know that areas of the Valley have to spray to kill them all? Its all in the article below.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...sing/25004481/
11/7 million

.0000016% of the population

ITS AN EPIDEMIC

Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,984,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
11/7 million

.0000016% of the population

ITS AN EPIDEMIC
For a state like AZ that "doesn't have mosquitos" (which some numb nuts actually believe), we happen to have the second highest rate of death by West Nile virus in the nation (only behind CA).

https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/statsma...ses-state.html

Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,323,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
As long as you aren’t in a commmuter suburb most restaurants serve diner till 10 or 11 and some bars and fast food are till 2am or 24 hours.

Of course nothing is 24hrs like Vegas even most of nyc is quite after 2am
I was in the city of Phoenix one night in particular (I stay out of the suburbs as much as possible) and after going to about 6 places I gave up trying to find something to eat out. This was at 9:30 at night, looking for a sit down place. That surprised me, but it happened.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,632,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereld View Post

@Yukon, when I say Modern, I mean the house architecture. I personally love mid-century modern homes, or really any kind of modern home. Here in Tampa we have a lot of Mediterranean style homes, with tile roofs, rounded lines, etc. I prefer straight lines. As far as I can tell, LV has a lot of similar Mediterranean architecture, whereas Phoenix has more of the contemporary architecture.
Tampa and PHX have mid-century modern homes, mostly in older neighborhoods. PHX however has more of those neighborhoods and they're usually nicer neighborhoods than the equivalent in Tampa (or at least when I moved from Tampa 11 years ago). I think there are more Craftsmen type homes here in PHX too, if you're into that style.

Big Cats is right, we DO get humid days here...but still NOTHING like Tampa. Not. Even. Close.

And yes, desert palms are just as festive at Christmas as Florida palms when decorated in lights

Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was in the city of Phoenix one night in particular (I stay out of the suburbs as much as possible) and after going to about 6 places I gave up trying to find something to eat out. This was at 9:30 at night, looking for a sit down place. That surprised me, but it happened.
The City of Phoenix is enormous and includes open desert. What part?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If you were in the central city area, Tempe, Scottsdale even downtown chandler and Gilbert you could find something past 9:30

You must of been way far north or some other suburban area even if it’s “city limits” the city limits covers like 67 miles north to south and 30 miles wide much of it is quiet suburbia

Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,610,624 times
OP, I've lived in both places. In LV I lived in both the Southern Highlands neighborhood and bought a house in Summerlin. My house in Summerlin was near the base of the Red Rock National Conservation area. LOVE LOVE LOVED the area. Nothing like waking up in the morning and looking up at those mountains.

Overall, amenities were great in LV, except for healthcare. Had to be hypervigilant about crime. I never get approached and pan handled in parking lots in the Phoenix area like I did in LV. That unnerved me.

I like the quality of the PHX freeways over LV. (Not a fan of Botts' dots in LV)

Funny you ask about mosquitoes. Relatively non-existent in LV. I live in Chandler now (Grew up in Scottsdale). I'm near a fantastic greenbelt but there are mosquitoes year round. Yes, they are here in the winter as well.

If you settle on LV, don't be surprised if you have to make multiple payments for utilities, etc. I had to pay property tax and house insurance (it's rolled into my mortgage here in AZ), you'll also have separate gas and electric bills, and they charge water / sewer and trash separately. Plus, it's not uncommon to have 2 HOA bills (Community and subdivision) and also SID/LID payments. I felt like I was constantly making payments. Just something to think about other than everyone telling you the restaurants are fabulous.

Where ever you settle I strongly suggest you rent first. Lots of house rentals in both locations to choose from in your price point. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area