Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM

52,369 posts, read 52,828,351 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've always liked the Phoenix area and have been out there several times over the years and I don't recall traffic being all that bad there. Granted I haven't been there in probably 7 or 8 so years now and was just wondering how the phoenix metro traffic is comparing to the LA area. I drive around a lot for work and have done so in the LA area for 20 plus years, I know the LA area really well and know the hell that it is. This hell I speak of is really getting to me. I mean really. When it takes you 2 plus hours to drive 30 miles we've got a problem here. That is fairly common too. I've had commutes that take only an hour or so going 25-ish mile or so and that even sucks, in a perfect world that drive should only be a half hour drive, but whatever. I've sorta peaked out at about an hour and 15 mins or so, after that I just get damn cranky.

I'm looking to get out of the LA area in the next couple of years or so depending how things go. I'm looking at Phoenix just because comparing to So Cal the population is less than half and the job market for my industry appears to be fairly robust.

My question is really aimed toward people that have transplanted from So Cal and know the traffic here and can compare it to the traffic in the Phoenix metro area in todays times. I know that 5 plus years ago traffic was less in both places but as time goes it tends to get worse. I just wanna get a feeling of how bad it is between the two cities comparatively speaking. All are welcomed to chime in, but like a said transplants would probably have a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM

848 posts, read 971,164 times
Outside of rush hour, over the 4 years I've been here I'd say I average about a mile per minute or faster total trip time when doing mostly freeway driving.

Even during rush hour, outside of being too close to downtown Phoenix or the Scottsdale Air Park area, it's not too much worse than that for me. None of this 2 or 3 minutes per mile business like where I'm from in Northern California or where I went to school in Southern California.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,169,024 times
Really no comparison. The only thing close would be Rush (3) hours? Even then there may be a slow down and occasional stop and go due to an accident or your typical inch-worm type of traffic pattern around on-ramps.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,093,007 times
Not a transplant, although I have driven through LA on weekdays a couple of times.

There are rush hour times in Phoenix, mostly heading into the center of the city. Earlier this year I had to drive from our house in Gilbert into the downtown area a number of times, a trip of about 40 miles. I would leave at 7:15 am in order to be there at 9:00 am. This included a ten minute walk, and it was something I could not be late for. If the time were less strict I could have left at 7:30 and been okay most of the time.

The good thing about Phoenix is that there are reasonable places to live all over the metro area. If you know where you're going to be working you should be able to live close enough to have a reasonable commute. But don't expect to drive between any two points whenever you like in a reasonable amount of time.

Edit: Also, if you come out to check for yourself, understand there is a big difference between winter traffic and summer traffic. Winter brings a huge number of tourists, plus snowbirds. In the summer they are gone, and locals are getting out of town for vacations and to escape the heat.

Last edited by hikernut; 07-20-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 PM

277 posts, read 277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hey all,

I've always liked the Phoenix area and have been out there several times over the years and I don't recall traffic being all that bad there. Granted I haven't been there in probably 7 or 8 so years now and was just wondering how the phoenix metro traffic is comparing to the LA area. I drive around a lot for work and have done so in the LA area for 20 plus years, I know the LA area really well and know the hell that it is. This hell I speak of is really getting to me. I mean really. When it takes you 2 plus hours to drive 30 miles we've got a problem here. That is fairly common too. I've had commutes that take only an hour or so going 25-ish mile or so and that even sucks, in a perfect world that drive should only be a half hour drive, but whatever. I've sorta peaked out at about an hour and 15 mins or so, after that I just get damn cranky.

I'm looking to get out of the LA area in the next couple of years or so depending how things go. I'm looking at Phoenix just because comparing to So Cal the population is less than half and the job market for my industry appears to be fairly robust.

My question is really aimed toward people that have transplanted from So Cal and know the traffic here and can compare it to the traffic in the Phoenix metro area in todays times. I know that 5 plus years ago traffic was less in both places but as time goes it tends to get worse. I just wanna get a feeling of how bad it is between the two cities comparatively speaking. All are welcomed to chime in, but like a said transplants would probably have a better idea.
It’s better than La, Chicago and DC but it’s growing rappidly and traffic is obviously not great during rush hour or during spring training but it’s not bad compared to most cities

I believe there was a study that the Phoenix metro ranked like#22 in traffic witch is great considering we are closing in on # 10 in population

Old 07-20-2018, 10:55 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,668,401 times
The traffic here is nothing like it is in california. In most of california, there are not enough freeways, or freeway lanes, to accommodate the population. I live on 59th and thomas and I have to commute 11 miles to 13th and washington. That morning commute is a breeze and coming home isn't too bad either. Maybe when school is back in session or when it is winter, it will be worse.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:13 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,634,320 times
Nothing compared to LA. I have driven 65 at 6 PM on a Friday on a downtown Phoenix freeway. There are some spots of minor slowing here and there. Rush hour can be lengthy here, especially in the afternoon, because of the diversity of work schedules. The traffic is generally predictable, starting as early as 2 PM and completely wrapping up by 7:15 - 7:30 PM on all freeways. Morning rush hour can start as early as 5 AM and is usually over by 9:30 AM or so. The only place of occasional traffic outside of the rush hour is Interstate 10 in the downtown area. That can sometimes get mysteriously backed up on a weekend or during the middle of the day, likely due to merging and weaving traffic.

The biggest difference between here and LA is the density of crashes and how they're handled. Drivers here get into crashes like no one's business. A big part of our traffic comes from the drivers who like to rubberneck and be nosy instead of paying attention to the road. The crashes seem to occur in the same spots time and time again. This contributes to daily backups that would be less intense if people just minded their business. The highway patrol/local police shut down freeways for frequent fatal collisions and "police situations/incidents" that seem to happen multiple times a week. Phoenix has so few freeways that a short section of freeway shut down can cause pretty big headaches for those trying to get through.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 AM

269 posts, read 217,366 times
Nothing close to L.A. in my opinion. That traffic outside of rush hour in L.A. is one of the worst Ive seen in America.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 AM

13,923 posts, read 8,104,752 times
LA is much worse.

However, after spending time in Mesa I have noticed a fair number of car accidents along local streets which were real bang-ups.

I attribute this to the speed in which people drive along streets such as Power and Rucker where I believe the speed limit is 40.

It seems drivers travel a good 5 or sometimes 10 miles an hour over that.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:00 AM

656 posts, read 815,892 times
We have less people here tailgating you at 78mph while texting and steering with their knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area