Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:36 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Many bars, some clubs, lots of coffee shops, lots of lunch type restaurants, a couple delis.
Thanks, will visit there in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:31 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Because downtown Phoenix is thriving and there is no reason to move 1000 of miles away and drastically overpay to live near manhattan, if you’re lucky.
I didn't say Manhattan, I said Pittsburgh, which is far more urban than here (and probably cheaper, too). The urban experience here is subpar at best.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM

872 posts, read 998,915 times
Quote:
Because downtown Phoenix is thriving and there is no reason to move 1000 of miles away and drastically overpay to live near manhattan, if you’re lucky.
People pay thousands and thousands to live in a box in NYC, Boston and SF

Old 08-09-2018, 02:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I didn't say Manhattan, I said Pittsburgh, which is far more urban than here (and probably cheaper, too). The urban experience here is subpar at best.
The OP didn’t ask about moving to Pittsburgh, they asked about downtown Phoenix. You say it’s subpar but 5,000+ new units say a lot of others think it’s well worth it.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
People pay thousands and thousands to live in a box in NYC, Boston and SF
That's because those are all Alpha Class cities, that's why. They're high-paying, high-powered cities that bring in talent worldwide. They have massive, dense urban cores that meet the exact definition of such (minus Boston). Not only that, but they're ideally located, too. They pay that money to live there because its worth it with Michelin-starred restaurants, world famous venues, endless amenities, massive diversity, and 24/7 nightlife.

It sounds crazy to us to pay that kind of money for such a small place, but if you're a dyed-in-the-wool urbanista, nothing but the best will do, and you'll willingly pay those prices.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The OP didn’t ask about moving to Pittsburgh, they asked about downtown Phoenix. You say it’s subpar but 5,000+ new units say a lot of others think it’s well worth it.
Right. But they're looking for an urban experience with delis, etc, that sounds more East Coast then Southwest, hence my recommendation. They're searching for something that doesn't exist, and it will only lead to unhappiness, right? Hence my suggestion to move somewhere that their wildest urban dreams can come true. We all know people looking for that NYC lifestyle would never choose PHX.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:45 PM

277 posts, read 276,207 times
Quote:
That's because those are all Alpha Class cities, that's why. They're high-paying, high-powered cities that bring in talent worldwide. They have massive, dense urban cores that meet the exact definition of such (minus Boston). Not only that, but they're ideally located, too. They pay that money to live there because its worth it with Michelin-starred restaurants, world famous venues, endless amenities, massive diversity, and 24/7 nightlife.

It sounds crazy to us to pay that kind of money for such a small place, but if you're a dyed-in-the-wool urbanista, nothing but the best will do, and you'll willingly pay those prices.
Big cats what is wrogn with you? They asked about moviong to downtown phoenix in a phoenix forum.

They know it isnt NYC or San Francisco.

And furthermore do you think these things happen overnight? The reason downtown hasnt thrived is detractors liek you dischouraging people from moving and going there.

Just go away already your input is not helpfull.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Right. But they're looking for an urban experience with delis, etc, that sounds more East Coast then Southwest, hence my recommendation. They're searching for something that doesn't exist, and it will only lead to unhappiness, right? Hence my suggestion to move somewhere that their wildest urban dreams can come true. We all know people looking for that NYC lifestyle would never choose PHX.
I know plenty of people happy with the urban environment downtown Phoenix offers and the pace at which it’s growing only means it will get better. Just because you disagree doesn’t mean everyone does. Telling someone their best option is to move at least 2,000 miles away is pretty extreme. At a minimum one should rent downtown Phoenix before jumping to the conclusion that it’s not going to work and they therefore need to move across the continent.

We do have 3 delis immediately located downtown 1 NY style, one Philly style and a third generic. Just for point of reference in all this.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:

They also seriously pinch your financials and continually top overrated cities lists, it’s rare that the most popular anything equates to the best solutions.

These cities also rank for the top cities people are leaving or wish they could leave...

Phoenix on the other hand usually comes in underrated and offers far more bang for your buck. Our growth trends serve as evidence to this.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Big cats what is wrogn with you? They asked about moviong to downtown phoenix in a phoenix forum.

They know it isnt NYC or San Francisco.

And furthermore do you think these things happen overnight? The reason downtown hasnt thrived is detractors liek you dischouraging people from moving and going there.

Just go away already your input is not helpfull.
Its a public forum. You don't like what I have to say, block me.

And good heavens, use frickin spell check, please. That hurt my brain reading that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area