Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 1,784 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I’m currently in Cleveland and going through a dissolution of my marriage. I will have full custody of my sons, ages 6&8, with their Father having them summers in Ohio. I’m looking to relocate to the Phoenix area. My brother used to live in Tempe and a good friend of mine lives on the east side of Phoenix. I see pluses for both these areas. I will be a single Mom, working as a nurse, so would life an affordable area in the best school districts. School for my boys is a huge importance to me as my eldest has very high functioning autism and my youngest has suspected ADHD. They are a handful to say the least! They have done well in a school setting with some support s and education is very important to me as I want them to succeed. I’m unsure of the best school districts in the Phoenix area. Obviously safety is an important factor too, but unfortunately, with 2 kids, I would need to live in affordable area, looking for maybe $750 to pay in rent. Any insight? Thank you all so much, am looking to relocate next June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,096,135 times
Sorry to say but you won't be in a "good area" and paying $750 per month in rent. More like $950-1,000 for a decent place if you are lucky. As far as best school districts, generally: Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Higley, East Mesa, Madison in Central Phoenix, Deer Valley, Kyrene, and Scottsdale (more expensive). Mesa has some good schools, too, mostly on the east and north central parts of town but it varies widely. Just check GreatSchools.com ratings for any area you are looking at places in. Even mediocre overall districts can have a decent school or two. Consider charter schools, too. There are some very good ones spread around the metro. Best of luck.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,740,082 times
I echo what Shampoobanana said. You will need to raise your rental amount for something in a decent area.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:46 PM

45 posts, read 56,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandGirl82 View Post
Hey all! I’m currently in Cleveland and going through a dissolution of my marriage. I will have full custody of my sons, ages 6&8, with their Father having them summers in Ohio. I’m looking to relocate to the Phoenix area. My brother used to live in Tempe and a good friend of mine lives on the east side of Phoenix. I see pluses for both these areas. I will be a single Mom, working as a nurse, so would life an affordable area in the best school districts. School for my boys is a huge importance to me as my eldest has very high functioning autism and my youngest has suspected ADHD. They are a handful to say the least! They have done well in a school setting with some support s and education is very important to me as I want them to succeed. I’m unsure of the best school districts in the Phoenix area. Obviously safety is an important factor too, but unfortunately, with 2 kids, I would need to live in affordable area, looking for maybe $750 to pay in rent. Any insight? Thank you all so much, am looking to relocate next June.
I suggest you to look at Paradise Valley School District. Within the district boundaries you can find affordable price apartments and in safe areas. This location is close to the major freeways, SR51 and SR101. Look also closer to PV Mall on Cactus Rd. The district also have a school for sped kids.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,982,449 times
$750 will get you in the 'hood, girl. That means your kids will most likely be in bad schools (AZ's are ranked the worst, usually). They will get a better education in OH, if that's important to you. Or you will have to get a roommate, move somewhere nice in order for your kids to be safe and have a better education. Private schools are HUGE out here, that's another option you can investigate if you want to.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,755,371 times
Note that Arizona has open enrollment for public schools. You don't have to send your children to the neighborhood school, although there may be a waiting list and you'd have to provide your own transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area