Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:26 PM

16 posts, read 30,772 times

Advertisements

Looking for a typical middle class area within Mesa. Seems like the houses are about mid 300's with a pool. Our jobs would be elementary school teaching and Clinical Social Work (seems like there is a County hospital there, Maricopa Integrated) maybe there are better options but there appear to be jobs in the local area without a California style commute of 2 hours each way.

Very tired of California cost without the California return. One of the many middle class families that have had enough. Is Mesa a nice area, or am I going to essentially more of the same. My trips to that area have seemed to indicate otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 02:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
There are some very nice areas in Mesa, but that's not your only choice in metro Phoenix in your price range, unless you have other reasons (family/friends in the area, for instance) for focusing on Mesa. Your job fields could take you to a lot of different areas of the Valley. If your concern is length of commute, best to figure out where your jobs will be before you get into anything too permanent in terms of housing.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 PM

551 posts, read 693,471 times
If you're just moving to Phoenix metro for cost of living, you'll hate it in five years and leave like the rest. Have other reasons for coming here other than just 'its cheaper.' - most states inland are cheaper than CA.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
I love what's happening with Mesa - the Metro line and the ASU annex, EVIT, and Main St. really it's a great time to be moving there IMO - I would look at Red Mountain School district area - you can get a really nice house in the 300s or even in the high 200s - I have two teachers there in the school system clients/friends- one who also commutes to Fountain Hills and he just takes the 87 (beeline) straight shot and no traffic- so you can take a look at Fountain Hills too if you're going to be working in Mesa -as well as other surrounding towns (gilbert, etc.)

Best of luck!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM

202 posts, read 220,154 times
West and Central Mesa are mostly old areas, there are pockets of newer housing that are nice, but you have to look for them. East Mesa is relatively new, with nicer neighborhoods. Chandler and Gilbert are nearby communities that are mostly nice and have a lot of good housing. I don't really think there is anything bad with Mesa for the most part, it just has a reputation of being drab and boring, while the rest of the East Valley is just new and boring.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
What made you hone in on Mesa of all places? Perhaps sharing that will help people guide you.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:43 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
West and Central Mesa are mostly old areas, there are pockets of newer housing that are nice, but you have to look for them. East Mesa is relatively new, with nicer neighborhoods. Chandler and Gilbert are nearby communities that are mostly nice and have a lot of good housing. I don't really think there is anything bad with Mesa for the most part, it just has a reputation of being drab and boring, while the rest of the East Valley is just new and boring.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
#
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
If you're just moving to Phoenix metro for cost of living, you'll hate it in five years and leave like the rest. Have other reasons for coming here other than just 'its cheaper.' - most states inland are cheaper than CA.
Wow, cactusland. That was kind of harsh. I think southern Californians who decide to leave CA may find metro Phx a good alternative--more so than other inland states. Reasons: similar architecture (lots of stucco homes, snow-free winters, many (but definitely not all) similar trees, freeway/sprawl growth pattern, and most importantly to many, close proximity to friends/family left in So. Cal.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 PM

300 posts, read 441,325 times
Northeast Mesa, neighborhoods like Red Mountain Ranch, Las Sendas, and Mountain Bridge are what you're looking for.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 AM

551 posts, read 693,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
#

Wow, cactusland. That was kind of harsh. I think southern Californians who decide to leave CA may find metro Phx a good alternative--more so than other inland states. Reasons: similar architecture (lots of stucco homes, snow-free winters, many (but definitely not all) similar trees, freeway/sprawl growth pattern, and most importantly to many, close proximity to friends/family left in So. Cal.
Just cost of living isn't enough of a reason to come to AZ vs other states. Sure, close proximity to CA is a bonus, but OP didn't state that, or really anything else to go over. And NV is also close in proximity to massive parts of CA - along with OR. And in terms of jobs, cost of living, TX is a very good alternative to AZ; without the heat. In terms of politics, many fleeing CA might find even NM a better alternative than AZ, unless they specifically have become more frugal or conservative over the years, as NM is (generally) more liberal, and has many beautiful (like AZ) and affordable areas.
The amount of money one would save would more than make up multiple plane tickets a year. It wasn't meant to be mean; it was an unfortunate truth that the Phoenix metro area can have a high turnover of people moving in and then discovering in five or so years that for one reason or another, they don't like it. I wanted a bit more information from OP, but OP hasn't posted back. If OP loves AZ for AZ, then welcome and I hope they like it here as much as the rest of us do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area