Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:09 PM

38 posts, read 27,269 times

Advertisements

Well it’s been 3 months since I packed up my car, left Charlotte, and drove across the country to start my new life in Phoenix, so I thought I’d give an update and share my thoughts on the transition so far:

The weather-I survived my first summer! In all honesty, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. For the most part, I’m actually enjoying the dry heat, and am finding it to be far more tolerable than the oppressive humidity on the east coast. On most days, I’ve been able to leave my office at lunch and take a short walk to the cafe around the corner or the Starbucks across the street, despite the 100+ temps. Had I tried to take the same walk back in Charlotte in 80+ degree temps, I’d been drenched in sweat due to the humidity.

The people/social scene- To date, I’ve found the vast majority of people I’ve met to be very laid back and friendly. In the short time I’ve been here, I’ve had no trouble meeting people, and have already started to form a few meaningful friendships. I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find that there is no shortage of single people my age (early 40s) who are looking to socialize and make new friends. And there are plenty of activities and events to keep me busy- happy hours, great restaurants, paint nights, festivals, etc.

The scenery- I’m still getting used to the desert landscape. While the scenery is beautiful in its own way, I do miss the lush greenery of the east coast. With that being said, I’ve heard that Flagstaff is beautiful in the fall, so I’ll definitely be planning some weekend road trips over the next few months.

So these are my overall thoughts to date. I’m still adjusting, but overall I believe this was a good move for me, and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 10:38 PM

720 posts, read 736,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaz2018 View Post
Well it’s been 3 months since I packed up my car, left Charlotte, and drove across the country to start my new life in Phoenix, so I thought I’d give an update and share my thoughts on the transition so far:

The weather-I survived my first summer! In all honesty, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. For the most part, I’m actually enjoying the dry heat, and am finding it to be far more tolerable than the oppressive humidity on the east coast. On most days, I’ve been able to leave my office at lunch and take a short walk to the cafe around the corner or the Starbucks across the street, despite the 100+ temps. Had I tried to take the same walk back in Charlotte in 80+ degree temps, I’d been drenched in sweat due to the humidity.

The people/social scene- To date, I’ve found the vast majority of people I’ve met to be very laid back and friendly. In the short time I’ve been here, I’ve had no trouble meeting people, and have already started to form a few meaningful friendships. I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find that there is no shortage of single people my age (early 40s) who are looking to socialize and make new friends. And there are plenty of activities and events to keep me busy- happy hours, great restaurants, paint nights, festivals, etc.

The scenery- I’m still getting used to the desert landscape. While the scenery is beautiful in its own way, I do miss the lush greenery of the east coast. With that being said, I’ve heard that Flagstaff is beautiful in the fall, so I’ll definitely be planning some weekend road trips over the next few months.

So these are my overall thoughts to date. I’m still adjusting, but overall I believe this was a good move for me, and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.
Woohoo glad you are enjoying AZ! You don't have to go so far to Flagstaff to see green - Payson, Prescott, Pine, Strawberry are all a little over an hour away - and in town you can take a nice walk on the greenbelt - or what's called Indian Bend Wash - I'm actually looking forward to a bike ride finally on that 11 mile strip with those Lime bikes but waiting till weather cools off a bit!!! I'm going to forward your note to my sister who thinks she can't survive without a beach but puts up with so much stress from everything else!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
Well, well, well! You moved during the hottest time of the year and have made it this far in! It will be hot this week, but our weather will start getting cooler. (There will still be occasions when the heat flares up) Glad to hear you're making the adjustment socially as well. As for missing the greenery back east; Flagstaff is green, but I find Payson and Pinetop just as green. None of it matches the greenery back east...or the fall foliage! The desert can be a magical place.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,811,585 times
Moved to Phoenix 4yrs ago from Charlotte. Love Phoenix over Charlotte 5times over!
Definitely more to do for singles in their 40’s here than in Charlotte. Lots more activities going on here than in Charlotte.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 09-08-2018 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
Glad you're enjoying the adjustment, there's no deciduous forests in the Southwest or most of the West generally speaking, you can head to Washington for a similar lush experience but you're generally still surrounded by evergreens there as opposed to what you're used to out East.

There is one epic "hike" (I use the term hike loosely given that it's a pretty flat, low exertion trail) in Oak Creek Canyon. It's called West Fork Canyon and it's absolutely stunning in the fall. You can check the foliage maps for when peak is expected, typically it's in mid-October and due to the geography and amount of water in the canyon you do get a lot of Oak trees that are amazing each fall.

Flagstaff is also great, Aspens give you tons of yellow but not the oranges and reds you'll find in Oak Creek.

Glad you're enjoying Arizona so far, the desert is a beautiful place, if you haven't had a chance to visit the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix yet be sure to stop by. You'll learn a lot about the very unique plants that live in the Sonoran including when they bloom and how they survive. Learning more always helps you appreciate it more.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:20 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Moved to Phoenix 4yrs ago from Charlotte. Love Phoenix over Charlotte 5times over!
Definitely more to do for singles in their 40’s here than in Charlotte. Lots more activities going on here than in Charlotte.
It's been 4 yrs??? That went fast! Of course, the challenge is to stay beyond five years as the average time of departure is between 3-5 yrs.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Woohoo glad you are enjoying AZ! You don't have to go so far to Flagstaff to see green - Payson, Prescott, Pine, Strawberry are all a little over an hour away - and in town you can take a nice walk on the greenbelt - or what's called Indian Bend Wash - I'm actually looking forward to a bike ride finally on that 11 mile strip with those Lime bikes but waiting till weather cools off a bit!!! I'm going to forward your note to my sister who thinks she can't survive without a beach but puts up with so much stress from everything else!

Thanks for the tip! I just googled Indian Bend Wash and it sounds great. Will be the perfect way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when it cools down a bit. :-)

Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Well, well, well! You moved during the hottest time of the year and have made it this far in! It will be hot this week, but our weather will start getting cooler. (There will still be occasions when the heat flares up) Glad to hear you're making the adjustment socially as well. As for missing the greenery back east; Flagstaff is green, but I find Payson and Pinetop just as green. None of it matches the greenery back east...or the fall foliage! The desert can be a magical place.
I haven't been to Payson or Pinetop yet. I'll have to add them to my list! :-)

Old 09-09-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

Funny, you were leaving Charlotte about the same time I rolled it-I arrived on 6/20/2014.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying Phoenix after 4 years!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,436,955 times
There is also a very impressive forest in southern NM just east of Silver city. Nice weekend drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area