Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
When the economy "tanks" it will be the same story, only it will be harder to get these low end low wage jobs. The only thing really booming right now is low end jobs. High end jobs have either stayed flat or declined, other than maybe medical but its debatable if we should even be calling those "good" jobs considering the type of work nurses are doing and the hours they work, they maybe decent pay but the hours, working conditions I have heard are aweful in most hospitals. Maybe if you are involved with some specialty aspect of medicine where you have 9-5 hours and are not dealing with the masses it would be considered a good job.
It's too bad that everyone has either a low end job or a declining high end job. And I don't think the only people that have higher paying jobs are nurses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:07 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
It's too bad that everyone has either a low end job or a declining high end job. And I don't think the only people that have higher paying jobs are nurses.
Medical is the only good paying jobs that are hiring in large enough numbers to matter evenly distributed acrosss the USA. Other high paying jobs are scant, of course people have them, people also win the lottery.

But the huge boom in jobs is not high paying non medical jobs.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM

277 posts, read 276,367 times
You guys are all quite negative, wage growth in the Phoenix area has been quite good, your anecdotal expieirence is irrelevant the stats are all good

Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Medical is the only good paying jobs that are hiring in large enough numbers to matter evenly distributed acrosss the USA. Other high paying jobs are scant, of course people have them, people also win the lottery.

But the huge boom in jobs is not high paying non medical jobs.
For well educated or entrepreneurial type people with good skills there are a ton of high paying jobs outside of the medical field. All my friends have one or had one and are now retired like me. True, they are all highly educated or highly skilled and flexible and can transfer to a number of industries that require hey good deal of intelligence or managerial skills or both. You’ve got to start with a series of good choices and then build from there. Society can’t do everything for everyone.

You might have to move out of your comfort zone psychologically or you might have to move away from mommy and daddy and relatives to progress your career. If you don’t want to do that, that’s fine also, just don’t complain.

Even people with lower paying jobs could save a few hundred a month and nowadays put it in an index fund for 30 years and they would have a ton of money later on to retire on. These are the same people I see here in line at Starbucks every day spending $10 a day on stupid drinks. These are the same people I also see every day and restaurants spending money that they should be saving.

Last edited by Burkmere; 10-22-2018 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM

90 posts, read 69,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
For well educated or entrepreneurial type people with good skills there are a ton of high paying jobs outside of the medical field. All my friends have one or had one and are now retired like me. True, they are all highly educated or highly skilled and flexible and can transfer to a number of industries that require hey good deal of intelligence or managerial skills or both.
You're 100% right, but miss one thing: these people aren't coming to Phoenix.

A lot of highly educated talent gets imported to the Valley. As someone who works in data science management, hiring for it is **** poor because Phoenix's Tech pool is shallow. My tech team was hiring a big data developer with Unix experience, even being basic enough to just do SQL/HQL, etc, and you can't find it. When I started job hunting here, I felt like a king because banks and credit card companies got into a bidding war, and I ended up with what would be a VP salary in Ohio to live in the desert... which costs the same.

Basically, most people good in the field are in the Bay Area, Austin or Denver. Phoenix just doesn't have the allure to get talent here.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You guys are all quite negative, wage growth in the Phoenix area has been quite good, your anecdotal expieirence is irrelevant the stats are all good
Shh, don't want to interrupt the pitty parade now.

Quote:
Phoenix workers saw total compensation climb 3.5 percent for the year that ended in June 2018. That is higher than the national average of 2.9 percent and ahead of inflation, which also sits at 2.9 percent, according to BLS numbers.

Wages and salaries were slightly higher at 3.6 percent, according to BLS.

Total compensation includes wages, salaries and costs for benefits such as health insurance.
If you aren't receiving an annual raise then your employer is trash and you need a new job. Staying in a job that doesn't at least, the very least, keep up with inflation will only hurt you in the long run.

If you were taking pay cuts year over year you wouldn't stay there. Not getting a raise that is equal to inflation is the exact same thing.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
You're 100% right, but miss one thing: these people aren't coming to Phoenix.

A lot of highly educated talent gets imported to the Valley. As someone who works in data science management, hiring for it is **** poor because Phoenix's Tech pool is shallow. My tech team was hiring a big data developer with Unix experience, even being basic enough to just do SQL/HQL, etc, and you can't find it. When I started job hunting here, I felt like a king because banks and credit card companies got into a bidding war, and I ended up with what would be a VP salary in Ohio to live in the desert... which costs the same.

Basically, most people good in the field are in the Bay Area, Austin or Denver. Phoenix just doesn't have the allure to get talent here.
Fine with me. I'm retired.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:35 AM

33 posts, read 36,185 times
Quote:
When the economy "tanks" it will be the same story, only it will be harder to get these low end low wage jobs. The only thing really booming right now is low end jobs. High end jobs have either stayed flat or declined, other than maybe medical but its debatable if we should even be calling those "good" jobs considering the type of work nurses are doing and the hours they work, they maybe decent pay but the hours, working conditions I have heard are aweful in most hospitals. Maybe if you are involved with some specialty aspect of medicine where you have 9-5 hours and are not dealing with the masses it would be considered a good job.
Is there such thing as a “well paying” 9-5 profession? All professionals I know work much more than 40 hours per week. Accountants, lawyers, stock brokers, computer programmers, doctors, contractors, business owners, even my dry cleaner and local bar tenders work more than 40 hours per week.

Perhaps you need to rethink your work ethic? Instead of complaining, go fix your situation. If not, learn to live within your means and with the fact that the new economy is passing you by. Having a victim mentality isn’t going to fix your problems and only makes things worse.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 AM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
I am in software development and in the 5 years I've been doing it, I can count the number of times I've worked more than 40 hours or worked on a weekend day on one hand. But yes, admittedly that's not typical.

Also, for all these wage growth stats, let's not include insurance and all that other stuff; and let's talk about median, not average. So, pure actual hourly wage as listed on the paycheck, and going with the median.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerzz View Post
Is there such thing as a “well paying” 9-5 profession? All professionals I know work much more than 40 hours per week. Accountants, lawyers, stock brokers, computer programmers, doctors, contractors, business owners, even my dry cleaner and local bar tenders work more than 40 hours per week.

Perhaps you need to rethink your work ethic? Instead of complaining, go fix your situation. If not, learn to live within your means and with the fact that the new economy is passing you by. Having a victim mentality isn’t going to fix your problems and only makes things worse.
I work in engineering (electrical/embedded/software) and yeah my days are typically 8 hour days. Sometimes it requires overtime, but rarely. Once or twice a year tops for 2-3 weeks max.

I make a good salary for the Phoenix metro area and have decent benefits so no complaints in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area