Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:08 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Did you expect him NOT to raise his prices in 10 years?

I'm sure you're making more today than you were 10 years ago?

Seeing as the average cost of living over the past 10 years has risen about 26% I'd say his measly $825.00 increase is more than generous! Heck Sherwin Williams last year alone raised materials 3% now factor everything else that went up like gas,insurance,wages etc.

https://www.reference.com/world-view...d75a2b4c53df1d

You basically have 3 choices here:

1- If you were happy with his work hire him. You got 10 years out of his last paint job and with this sun/heat that's pretty darn good. You could also upgrade to a better grade of paint and you should get a few more years out of the next paint job.

2- Hire someone cheaper who will probably water down the materials and just give you a quick "blow and go" job and you'll be lucky to get 5 years out of it.

3- Do it yourself. Then you can save money on labor but spend every weekend working on a job you're probably going to hate.

The old saying "You get what you pay for" still holds true for just about everything in life.

I understand and appreciate your comments. Just wasn't expecting a 40% increase. I am definitely not making 40% more let alone 26% more than 10 years ago. I don't keep up with contractor prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
2000 sq ft here done 2 years ago, power washed first, then Dunn Edwards top o' the line paint , sprayed 2 coats, cost $2000.00.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I understand and appreciate your comments. Just wasn't expecting a 40% increase. I am definitely not making 40% more let alone 26% more than 10 years ago. I don't keep up with contractor prices.
Quote:
The owner-operator painter I used 10 years ago to paint my house is $825 more now for the same house and job and those are bulk (10 or more houses to commit) prices.
There is no way in Hell you are going to get remotely close to $1175 (2009 pricing). Here is why: 10 years ago (early 2009), AZ was deep into the great recession. Honestly, people were clawing over themselves to find any construction related work. Back in 2012 era, I posted on C-D something like "if you ever want to get something done on your home, NOW IS THE TIME". For instance, I had my 14' tall, wide fireplace beautifully stoned (120 square foot). I went directly to the manufacture in PHX for $2.50 a square foot in material (man make but excellent quality). Not possible today to go "direct" let alone that price. The installation labor was $2.50 a square and they did an amazing job. Multiple by 3 for that labor today. Multiple by 2 for the materials. Yea, my specific contractor went out of business. They were starving as a contractor and they had to change careers to eat and pay the bills.

I had my entire interior painted from a contractor I would never recommend. But that's a different story all together. I have a room with 20 foot ceilings. Another large room with 14 foot ceilings. Nothing below 10 foot tall rooms and the house is 3700 square foot. I wanted to buy the paint because I know some contractors and cultures like to dilute it. The labor was $1700 (three bids all in that range). I calculated the hourly man hours after the job was done. They averaged $9 an hour. The labor would be at least triple today. And that was in 2011. The supplies might be 20% more (I paid around $1200 for the best materials).

So of course there was a big increase in pricing over the great recession. in PHX and for the sub contractors, it should have been called a depression. So to benchmark your wages versus a contractor especially in PHX and under the strange economy isn't applicable.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-13-2019 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
There is no way in Hell you are going to get remotely close to $1175 (2009 pricing). Here is why: 10 years ago (early 2009), AZ was deep into the great recession. Honestly, people were clawing over themselves to find any construction related work. Back in 2012 era, I posted on C-D something like "if you ever want to get something done on your home, NOW IS THE TIME". For instance, I had my 14' tall, wide fireplace beautifully stoned (120 square foot). I went directly to the manufacture in PHX for $2.50 a square foot in material (man make but excellent quality). Not possible today to go "direct" let alone that price. The installation labor was $2.50 a square and they did an amazing job. Multiple by 3 for that labor today. Multiple by 2 for the materials. Yea, my specific contractor went out of business. They were starving as a contractor and they had to change careers to eat and pay the bills.

I had my entire interior painted from a contractor I would never recommend. But that's a different story all together. I have a room with 20 foot ceilings. Another large room with 14 foot ceilings. Nothing below 10 foot tall rooms and the house is 3700 square foot. I wanted to buy the paint because I know some contractors and cultures like to dilute it. The labor was $1700 (three bids all in that range). I calculated the hourly man hours after the job was done. They averaged $9 an hour. The labor would be at least triple today. And that was in 2011. The supplies might be 20% more (I paid around $1200 for the best materials).

So of course there was a big increase in pricing over the great recession. in PHX and for the sub contractors, it should have been called a depression. So to benchmark your wages versus a contractor especially in PHX and under the strange economy isn't applicable.

Appreciate the history and perspective. I paid $2000 plus tax ten years ago to paint a 2000square ft house. Now it is $2825 plus tax. I will have to reluctantly grin and bear it because HOA is mandating everyone paint by a certain date.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the history and perspective. I paid $2000 plus tax ten years ago to paint a 2000square ft house. Now it is $2825 plus tax. I will have to reluctantly grin and bear it because HOA is mandating everyone paint by a certain date.
If you get three quotes all around $2800, that is the current market rates. My home cost me around $4K to paint a few years ago. My neighbor got a quote for over $5K recently. It seems that demand is higher than the supply. That reminds me of CES, 2019 hotels. Four Queens was going for $250 a night. Now it is $29. every hotel room was close to full even in Boulder City. The law of supply and demand is at work here. We need a small recession to bring pricing back in line. It seems everyone thinks they are worth top dollar even with less than idea service.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:40 PM

What do you all think about painting garage doors and outside lights an accent color instead of the main color of the house? Is this a trend that in 10 years people will say "Oh that's so 2010 decade styling?" or is no accent color now considered dated?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
What do you all think about painting garage doors and outside lights an accent color instead of the main color of the house? Is this a trend that in 10 years people will say "Oh that's so 2010 decade styling?" or is no accent color now considered dated?
I don’t know about painting a light fixture, but having a garage that’s the same color as the house seems a bit odd/ugly.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,560 times
Quote:
Usually the garage door gets painted the same color as the trim. I've never seen anyone paint their outside light fixtures the color of their house before.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Painting the outside lights sounds odd to me. If you want to change it up some, get a new set of garage lights. Inside and out, lighting supercharges the home.

Re: the garage door. My eye prefers some contrast. So I prefer the garage door to be the same as the accent color. In fact, I had them paint my exterior door and frame as well as door to the fenced in brick wall the accent color. We've gotten a lot of complements using that approach. Actually, the HOA design committee recommended doing what I just said and I took their advice.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you get three quotes all around $2800, that is the current market rates. My home cost me around $4K to paint a few years ago. My neighbor got a quote for over $5K recently. It seems that demand is higher than the supply. That reminds me of CES, 2019 hotels. Four Queens was going for $250 a night. Now it is $29. every hotel room was close to full even in Boulder City. The law of supply and demand is at work here. We need a small recession to bring pricing back in line. It seems everyone thinks they are worth top dollar even with less than idea service.

I agree that given the price quotes I am receiving, demand must be higher than supply. I calculated that the actual paint for my house will cost $500. Based on observing a solo owner-operator painter in my neighborhood, I think he spent 20 total hours prepping, power-washing and painting a 2000 square foot house by himself. He charges $2800. Subtracting $500 for the paint equals $2300. So basically, he's charging around $115/hr for labor and since he's an owner-operator, doesn't have the overhead of a large painting contractor. Do most homeowners not realize the high hourly rate painters are paid compared to other professions that require more skill and/or education? Since labor makes up the largest cost of the job, why do homeowners and painters believe their labor is worth over $100 per hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: