Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 1,830 times

Advertisements

Our family is vacationing in Phoenix and trying to coordinate the best place in the airport to meet. None of of us have been in that airport before. I looked at the online maps but couldn't judge the distance so I'm seeking advice from those who are familiar with the airport.

My 80 year old mom will be arriving on Delta in Terminal 3 and has difficulty walking long distances. I am scheduled to arrive on Southwest ten minutes later in Terminal 4. My Aunt and Uncle will be picking us up at the airport. They will be driving in from Scottsdale where they have rented a condo. They are driving to Arizona so are not familiar with the airport.

Any advice on a convenient place for all of us to meet? Which parking lot would be best for my Uncle to limit my Mom's walking distance? Does each terminal have its own baggage area? How far is Terminal 4 from Terminal 3? Once I land, can I access my Mom's gate in Terminal 3 to assist her or is it past a separate security area?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Looking forward to warmer temperatures and sunshine!

Last edited by NoSeaNearby; 01-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Corrected terminal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM

105 posts, read 84,922 times
Delta should be in Terminal 3, not Terminal 2. This isn't an answer to your question, but it would have been more complicated if she was arriving in Terminal 2, which is further from T3 and T4 and 'less connected'.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Have your aunt and uncle pick up your mom at Terminal 2 first. The parking area is right across from the terminal. She can request wheelchair assistance from the flight attendant on the plane- they will meet her at the plane and assist her, I suspect they can take her to the car. Then, they can pick you up at the curb at Terminal 4, after you have claimed your luggage. If it is easier for them, they can park the car in the terminal 4 garage and one of them could come in and meet you at baggage claim by the carousel where your bags come in, and the other can stay with your mom.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper3785 View Post
Delta should be in Terminal 3, not Terminal 2. This isn't an answer to your question, but it would have been more complicated if she was arriving in Terminal 2, which is further from T3 and T4 and 'less connected'.

Thanks for catching that mistake! Originally we were looking at an Alaska flight which would have been in Terminal 2 but switched to Delta because their arrival time was closer to mine. I will edit my original post to reflect Terminal 3.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Have your aunt and uncle pick up your mom at Terminal 2 first. The parking area is right across from the terminal. She can request wheelchair assistance from the flight attendant on the plane- they will meet her at the plane and assist her, I suspect they can take her to the car. Then, they can pick you up at the curb at Terminal 4, after you have claimed your luggage. If it is easier for them, they can park the car in the terminal 4 garage and one of them could come in and meet you at baggage claim by the carousel where your bags come in, and the other can stay with your mom.

Thanks! As pointed out above, I unfortunately posted the wrong terminal in my original post but have corrected it to Terminal 3. Regardless, I like your idea of them parking closer to my Mom and getting her to the car before picking me up curbside. I'm assuming this verifies my assumption that each terminal has its own baggage claim area?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
If it were me I'd have Mom cool her jets in Term 3 while you make your way over there via the tram from Term 4 then everyone gets picked up at 3.

That said, Term 3 has just gone through an extensive remodel, so while it has recently re-opened that doesn't mean it's any less a cluster than it has been on the outside during construction.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM

843 posts, read 565,973 times
Yes, each terminal has it's own baggage claim. Term #3 is being renovated so it is rather messed up, fewer areas to pick up curbside, areas inside that are partitioned off, etc.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:56 PM

640 posts, read 958,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
If it were me I'd have Mom cool her jets in Term 3 while you make your way over there via the tram from Term 4 then everyone gets picked up at 3.

That said, Term 3 has just gone through an extensive remodel, so while it has recently re-opened that doesn't mean it's any less a cluster than it has been on the outside during construction.

Good luck!!!
Pretty much what Take57 said.

Have aunt and uncle park in the garage at T3 to meet mom. The three of them wait for you at baggage claim. You land, get your stuff and take the Sky Train from T4 to T3 to meet up with them. If they aren’t familiar with the airport, you don’t want them driving around trying to figure out how to find you at T4.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 PM

586 posts, read 541,787 times
Aren't terminal 3 and 4 just right in a line? Pickup at 3 and then drive straight ahead to pickup at 4. No need to over think it.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Pretty much what Take57 said.

Have aunt and uncle park in the garage at T3 to meet mom. The three of them wait for you at baggage claim. You land, get your stuff and take the Sky Train from T4 to T3 to meet up with them. If they aren’t familiar with the airport, you don’t want them driving around trying to figure out how to find you at T4.
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I have convinced Mom to request wheelchair assistance in Phoenix as she has done in the past in Seattle. I will have my uncle park in Terminal 3 and meet Mom at the baggage claim. I can get my bags in Terminal 4 and make my way over to them. That way we can load in the parking garage and be on our way as a group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area