Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM

48 posts, read 152,465 times

Advertisements

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. My mother and I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada, and have been living in Vegas for three years. Unfortunately, we feel that our time in Vegas needs to come to an end for the following reasons:

-The absence of a community spirit (We are not impossible to get along with. The people in Vegas are, as they are unforgivably rude and empty)
-The high rate of fatal car accidents (a Las Vegas newspaper and channel have recently reported a drastic increase in fatal car accidents)
-A high rate of violent crime
-The small list of recreational activities outside of gambling, shopping and drinking
-The rising cost of living, and how the previously mentioned points do nothing to soften the cost of living's blow

We're considering Scottsdale, Gilbert and Phoenix. Unfortunately, we're getting conflicting stories on how Arizona is a spectacular state to move to, but at the same time, it's one of the worst. Our salary is about $30,000 a year, but our main points of concern are:

-Crime rate (particularly violent)
-Sense of community
-Diversity and tolerance towards diverse communities
-Unemployment rate/Job market
-Recreational activities
-Cost of living

Any insightful information you have on Scottsdale, Gilbert, Phoenix or just Arizona in general would be most helpful. If we can't stand Vegas, would we enjoy living in Arizona at all?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. My mother and I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada, and have been living in Vegas for three years. Unfortunately, we feel that our time in Vegas needs to come to an end for the following reasons:

-The absence of a community spirit (We are not impossible to get along with. The people in Vegas are, as they are unforgivably rude and empty)
-The high rate of fatal car accidents (a Las Vegas newspaper and channel have recently reported a drastic increase in fatal car accidents)
-A high rate of violent crime
-The small list of recreational activities outside of gambling, shopping and drinking
-The rising cost of living, and how the previously mentioned points do nothing to soften the cost of living's blow

We're considering Scottsdale, Gilbert and Phoenix. Unfortunately, we're getting conflicting stories on how Arizona is a spectacular state to move to, but at the same time, it's one of the worst. Our salary is about $30,000 a year, but our main points of concern are:

-Crime rate (particularly violent)
-Sense of community
-Diversity and tolerance towards diverse communities
-Unemployment rate/Job market
-Recreational activities
-Cost of living

Any insightful information you have on Scottsdale, Gilbert, Phoenix or just Arizona in general would be most helpful. If we can't stand Vegas, would we enjoy living in Arizona at all?

Thank you for your help.
30k each or total?

-Crime rate (particularly violent)> not bad at all. Most crime is drugs and property crime. Violence is usually domestic. Most crime is in the western side of the metro and central parts of Mesa. The west side does get nicer once you get to about 67th or 75th Ave and north of US 60.

-Sense of community>better in the east valley and central Phoenix because they are more established. On the whole, not great. Phoenix is a transient city like Vegas but to a much lesser extent.

-Diversity and tolerance towards diverse communities>Not sure what you mean by this, but Phoenix is very integrated in terms of race/culture and is generally divided by economics. My neighbors are, for example, African American, Indian, Hispanic, Asian, and White, all on one block. Most people in Phoenix are White, Hispanic, African American, or Native American with small pockets of Asian and Indian communities in Mesa, Tempe, and Chandler.

-Unemployment rate/Job market>could be better. If you work in service, Vegas is better. In most other industries, Phoenix is better.

-Recreational activities>drinking, eating out, hiking, long drives, gambling. Not terribly different than Vegas, but the hiking is more abundant

-Cost of living>About the same and also rising, especially rent in the central city.

On another note, not all of Arizona is Phoenix. This should probably be moved.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:39 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. My mother and I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada, and have been living in Vegas for three years.
Where in Las Vegas? It’s a big place. Many people have written to say that they’re happy there and cite none of the factors you mention. So I’m wondering what neighborhood you’re in.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:30 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
I don't think you can live in an even remotely safe area on 30k a year in Phoenix.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I don't think you can live in an even remotely safe area on 30k a year in Phoenix.

They posted the same comment in the Dallas forum and noted it is $30k a year each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area