Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 PM

153 posts, read 135,835 times

Advertisements

"Before signing lease, make sure the a/c system sounds quiet enough and blows COLD."

Will do Doug, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
That's what I'm looking for. The brokers for house and apt. rentals have large deposits for multiple pets and sometimes a monthly pet fee...quite insane, so I'll be avoiding those.
It is not the brokers that set the fees, it is the owners of the property. The broker works for and gets paid by the owner. I don't think you are going to avoid fees even if you find a property being rented out directly by the owner. They charge these fees because they can and because they want to be compensated for the wear and tear done on their property by humans and pets. You really can't blame them for that......I am guessing Chairmaker that you may have multiple pets. I just think you need to be prepared for the reality and responsibility if you do. Good luck in your quest.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
It is not the brokers that set the fees, it is the owners of the property. The broker works for and gets paid by the owner. I don't think you are going to avoid fees even if you find a property being rented out directly by the owner. They charge these fees because they can and because they want to be compensated for the wear and tear done on their property by humans and pets. You really can't blame them for that......I am guessing Chairmaker that you may have multiple pets. I just think you need to be prepared for the reality and responsibility if you do. Good luck in your quest.
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I would like to see some of the pet owners give some estimates for floor covering. I don't like the way it is often called a "deposit," when it is stated that it is non-refundable.....causes animosity, and the property managers are big players in the junk fee business, so it is not like they are that trustworthy anyway.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That's not what I'm seeing at all. Anytime a broker is involved the added fees are notable. You sound like a broker trying cover bases.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 845 times
typically any the tenant's representative is compensated from the commission the landlord's rep. collects. you can search realprosaz.com for homes for rent and if you like any contact any agent on the site to help you view them

Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerZack View Post
typically any the tenant's representative is compensated from the commission the landlord's rep. collects. you can search realprosaz.com for homes for rent and if you like any contact any agent on the site to help you view them
I typically don't like brokers or commissioned salespeople for that matter(but that's another discussion). But, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and check out realprosaz. Thank you.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
Well... the fees will be paid by the tenant no matter how it's charged. The tenants are the only ones who bring the money to the table. I certainly am not going to pay commissions when a tenant brings a broker/agent with them and if I use an agent to list their commission with either be paid in fees or through the rent.

I do charge pet fees and rent because pets accelerate wear, dogs especially (get your dogs nails clipped people). Aditionally, you can/will get charged for damage if the pets do excessive wear even when paying a pet fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I would like to see some of the pet owners give some estimates for floor covering. I don't like the way it is often called a "deposit," when it is stated that it is non-refundable.....causes animosity, and the property managers are big players in the junk fee business, so it is not like they are that trustworthy anyway.
I don't think the standard leases use the term "non-refundable deposit" anymore, the apartment association and the Realtors leases both use the term fee.

Under the law (ARS 33-1321(B)), if they take a single penny of non-refundable fees, monthly pet rent isn't a fee, then they have to tell you what the fee is for; if they don't then you can go after them for a refund. Generally it is a vague "used for redecorating" kind of BS though.

ARS 33-1300s are the rental laws in AZ (1400s are for trailer parks), with ARS 33-1321 being about deposits/fees.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:12 PM

"I don't think the standard leases use the term "non-refundable deposit" anymore, the apartment association and the Realtors leases both use the term fee."

I'm on the tenant end of this discussion. I've done a lot of searching and am seeing the absolute ridiculous of charging a monthly fee X the number of pets to charging a "non-refundable" pet deposit. Those things are noted in the ads.

Rental laws are for the most part quite useless for me. I would never recover the time lost going after a "landlord". I just want an honest landlord or honest homeowner to rent from. I know...I'm dreaming.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
I have more than a handful of rentals and don't allow pets in any of my properties other than one specific tenant that I consider "grandfathered in". Pets are not a protected class, so I don't have to unless it's a service animal. Who wants to deal with carpet damage, cat pee, fur all over the place? I have a dog so it's not for a lack of liking animals, but people with pets can look elsewhere and those landlords should charge a pretty penny for it.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I have more than a handful of rentals and don't allow pets in any of my properties other than one specific tenant that I consider "grandfathered in". Pets are not a protected class, so I don't have to unless it's a service animal. Who wants to deal with carpet damage, cat pee, fur all over the place? I have a dog so it's not for a lack of liking animals, but people with pets can look elsewhere and those landlords should charge a pretty penny for it.
That's the funny thing. I know for a fact people are harder on rentals than pets. I have 3 cats. They have never peed anywhere other than their litter boxes which are cleaned daily. I have letters from landlords to back those claims. But, I suppose we are the unique pet owners that actually care for our pets which in turn leads to a pet being non-destructive. But of course, I understand the landlord or property managers point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area