Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times

Advertisements

Use Nextdoor, or go to www.wranglernews.com and look in the ads in their online edition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 04:49 PM

13,762 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Use Nextdoor, or go to www.wranglernews.com and look in the ads in their online edition.
When using Next-door web site search the handymans name or tel#.

If the name/tel# pops up in various thread and it's the same person recommending the handyman over and over again consider passing.

On the other hand if you see the person recommenced by various posters they might be worth contacting.

Next-door is a great site. However, there is still the question of finding the right person.

A lot of people claim to be able to do minor plumbing for example that aren't very good.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:37 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Labor costs are determined by demand. A skilled licensed handyman, which means they can do jobs over $1000 in labor and materials, are like gold. The last 2 I paid $70 and $75 an hour and I had to wait get on their schedule. They should make much more than some dime a dozen IT guy.

Most people will rightly hire a licensed, bonded and insured contractor for a job over $1000. A lot of people have minor projects that require a handyman, such as replacing a front door lock or installing a shower grab bar that does not require a license and the total cost of labor and materials is under $1000. For the aforementioned projects, most people are unwilling to pay $75/hr in labor for those tasks.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 AM

173 posts, read 465,622 times
Sigh. The good ones are retired (my go-to-guy did) and he recommended his nephew who is wayyyy too busy for little jobs. Most handymen now work for large landlords or monied clients - that's why I've learned to do a lotof those things myself. Recently changed out all the hardware and hinges on all the doors in my house - wasn't difficult at all. There's a YouTube video for everything, lol.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:25 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2snow View Post
Sigh. The good ones are retired (my go-to-guy did) and he recommended his nephew who is wayyyy too busy for little jobs. Most handymen now work for large landlords or monied clients - that's why I've learned to do a lotof those things myself. Recently changed out all the hardware and hinges on all the doors in my house - wasn't difficult at all. There's a YouTube video for everything, lol.
Agreed ^^. In 2019, finding a good, reliable handyman is a chore in itself. Once you find one, all too often they move on you or they found something more lucrative, etc. The economy is simply too good for people to mess around with making $20 an hour with their skill. I've been doing the same as you lately, it's just easier to watch a Youtube video versus trying to hire another handyman that moved or retired. Anybody who found a good handyman to work for $20 an hour should count their blessings. Good luck finding another.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:20 AM

13,762 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2snow View Post

Yes, if they're very good and charge in the 40-50 an hour range they are busy. It's rare you can get someone to come out the next day or two.

It also helps to keep cost down if you've already have the new part. This way they don't have to go to ACE or Home Depot.

And if someone is going to work for 20-30 dollars an hour... there's a reason. Generally the reason is they aren't very good.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:17 AM

7,142 posts, read 4,552,321 times
It’s called my husband)

Old 12-30-2019, 03:25 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,179 times
Didn't know that hourly rates for handyman labor have risen so much in the last several years. I live in a neighborhood of high transience, where people don't know one another well and hire large companies to do home improvement projects. Where would a senior citizen not on social media obtain a reference on a good general purpose handyman?

Old 12-30-2019, 03:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
What amazes me are the people that have the skills to write computer programs yet they DO NOT understand the simple basics of mechanics (although automobiles are getting more complicated), electrical, carpentry, plumbing etc.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:38 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
What amazes me are the people that have the skills to write computer programs yet they DO NOT understand the simple basics of mechanics (although automobiles are getting more complicated), electrical, carpentry, plumbing etc.
Why does that surprise you? It's a different skillset and intelligence (a different part of the brain). Some people are more natural with music, others with athletics. Some people are fast on their feet (comedians some salespeople etc) while others are analytical. Shall I go on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area