Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 07:36 PM

153 posts, read 135,591 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a long shot here. Wondering if any has had a similar experience.

I am in the U.S. in Arizona. I did 2 VISA cash withdrawals with my visa/debit card at a well known US bank(2 different branches) from my well known Canadian bank. Well, the amounts were taken out twice with each transaction. We spoke to the US bank in person and they showed me the data of the amounts taken out once each only. We spoke to the Canadian bank where the funds originated and it was a very weird experience. The fraud division told me definitely do not call the dispute division. They said that the US bank takes the funds out twice for some reason, it happens to everyone doing a similar cash wishdrawal with their Canadian debit/visa card.

The fraud division said this would be corrected in 7 days for each transaction.

The US bank spent 2 hours with us on Saturday trying to get an answer for us. That same manager called us today to ask if we got any answers from our bank in Canada. He didn't have reply for what we told him. But he said he was going to answers from the higher ups in the US bank.

Sorry for how this was written. If something similar has happened to you, please reply.

Thank you,
CM13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 07:50 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
I'm taking a long shot here. Wondering if any has had a similar experience.

I am in the U.S. in Arizona. I did 2 VISA cash withdrawals with my visa/debit card at a well known US bank(2 different branches) from my well known Canadian bank. Well, the amounts were taken out twice with each transaction. We spoke to the US bank in person and they showed me the data of the amounts taken out once each only. We spoke to the Canadian bank where the funds originated and it was a very weird experience. The fraud division told me definitely do not call the dispute division. They said that the US bank takes the funds out twice for some reason, it happens to everyone doing a similar cash wishdrawal with their Canadian debit/visa card.

The fraud division said this would be corrected in 7 days for each transaction.

The US bank spent 2 hours with us on Saturday trying to get an answer for us. That same manager called us today to ask if we got any answers from our bank in Canada. He didn't have reply for what we told him. But he said he was going to answers from the higher ups in the US bank.

Sorry for how this was written. If something similar has happened to you, please reply.

Thank you,
CM13
Kind of.. In Mazatlan, Mexico, I used my USA debit card to withdrawal cash funds. I got charged for transactions that didn't happen. With two different MX banks and two different trips. No money came out but I was charged the $$'s I attempted to pull out each time. I called my bank (USBank no less) and they got the funds back. If I didn't micro manage it, I'd be $300x2 transactions poorer.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 PM

hmmm.....not a popular subject. I'm guessing this doesn't happen a lot. Maybe it is genuine fraud the bank is trying to cover up...trying to keep it out of the news.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 PM

Update. No fraud, but nobody admitted fault. Chase bank blamed it on Scotiabank. Scotiabank blamed Chase................sigh.................and another sigh..........................there is no justice, only money.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:37 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Sounds like the US bank is putting a "hit" on your card to verify the Canadian account before your actual ATM transaction goes through. I used to manage an E-commerce site and what you're describing sounds similar. If you hadn't checked your account the duplicated transaction should have gone away automatically within 7-10 days. (emphasis on should).

Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
Whom do you believe to be at fault - Visa or the U.S. bank? It sounds as if you didn't get Visa to look into it, and I think you should. It's in their interest to know if someone is acting wrongly via their company.

If it were me, I'd do it in writing, not by telephone, sending the letter to all involved. Perhaps you can persuade your bank to write a letter on their official stationery. And, just for fun, if you write the letter yourself, include in the letter that you are mentioning this disturbing incident to the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. That might wake them up.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov

Old 03-31-2019, 01:24 AM

It went away within 7 days all funds returned, but this is a bad joke on us. US to Canada or vice versa transactions should not feel like doing money transfers to a Mexican cartel. But this is how one of these banks is making us feel. The Scotiabank in particular, gave very "foggy" responses. I chatted with the US bank assistant manager yesterday and he too admitted no fault. Needless to say, there'll be no more over the border VISA cash withdrawals. The digital age seems to still be in the "stone age".

Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Whom do you believe to be at fault - Visa or the U.S. bank? It sounds as if you didn't get Visa to look into it, and I think you should. It's in their interest to know if someone is acting wrongly via their company.

If it were me, I'd do it in writing, not by telephone, sending the letter to all involved. Perhaps you can persuade your bank to write a letter on their official stationery. And, just for fun, if you write the letter yourself, include in the letter that you are mentioning this disturbing incident to the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. That might wake them up.

Thanks for the idea Voebe, I will write a letter and copy the banks on it.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

I’d copy in your states’s attorney general as well.
I had an issue with a retailer and copied in my and their AG. The AG in the other state sent them a (likely form) letter and , poof!, issue promptly resolved.

I’d consider engaging a local media consumer advocate, too. These institutions start getting calls from the media and their tune changes. They own the government, so they may not scared of their bed partner, but if their public image is put at risk that could mean someone’s not getting their bonus - which immediately makes it a critical issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area