Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times

Advertisements

1250 sq ft apt in Glendale, near Peoria. I live with three teenagers. We have APS. The bill has run between $154 and $259 the last few months. The $259 one was a higher bill when I had to turn on the heat. We were freezing. Last summer, bills were about $400. The apartment is West facing on one side. Thinking about moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
We have 2000 sq. ft home with Trane 19 seer unit, double pane solar windows, temps set at 74 degrees 24/7 all year around, and with APS econo plan our bill is $144.00 monthly.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:19 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where now?
I think “were” is missing an apostrophe. “We’re looking...”

Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
One relatively "easy" way to lop-off $50/mo from your electric bill is to get rid of your run of the mill electric water heater. Replace it with a hybrid (heat pump) water heater. They cost twice as much as standard elect water heaters, but you quickly recoup the difference.

If you have a gas water heater, leave it alone.

Also, has anyone mentioned solar screens on windows? A must for windows that get direct sun (east and west).

Old 03-22-2019, 02:04 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I have the prepaid service from SRP, and with the meter I can actually track the power usage by appliance.

The highest power sucking appliance is my water heater. It sucks more than the AC. I now turn it on for about 30 min in the morning, and another 30 min in the evening if I cooked alot and need to clean up. Saves me a good bit of money by doing that.

Second highest sucking appliance is a tie between the stove (oven or burner) and the heater. Space heaters use very little power, so I use them when needed. I also use a crock pot for a lot of my cooking.

Then AC comes in at third place. I really expected it to be the top power sucking appliance but it's not even close to the water heater usage.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I have the prepaid service from SRP, and with the meter I can actually track the power usage by appliance.

The highest power sucking appliance is my water heater. It sucks more than the AC. I now turn it on for about 30 min in the morning, and another 30 min in the evening if I cooked alot and need to clean up. Saves me a good bit of money by doing that.

Second highest sucking appliance is a tie between the stove (oven or burner) and the heater. Space heaters use very little power, so I use them when needed. I also use a crock pot for a lot of my cooking.

Then AC comes in at third place. I really expected it to be the top power sucking appliance but it's not even close to the water heater usage.
Wow! I had no idea water heaters and an oven were such energy hogs.

I am glad I have a gas water heater, heat, and stove.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM

121 posts, read 116,971 times
They are!! My bill is half of what others are posting because I have a gas water heater, stove and heat. My water bill is more of a concern since moving here than my electric bill which is crazy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Wow! I had no idea water heaters and an oven were such energy hogs.

I am glad I have a gas water heater, heat, and stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area