Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 PM

33 posts, read 50,084 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to the Phoenix area this summer. We're from Pittsburgh, and every church and every fire hall seems to have great Lenten fish fries. I've been told that once we move, we can pretty much kiss a multitude of Lenten fish fries goodbye. Is there any community in or around Phoenix that has a lot of Lenten fish fries to choose from? I'm not talking commercial restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 05:20 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
This came up when I asked google : phoenix, az, lenten fish fries:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...10.qwkASqg95B4

Most of these are churches.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis2009 View Post
We'll be moving to the Phoenix area this summer. We're from Pittsburgh, and every church and every fire hall seems to have great Lenten fish fries. I've been told that once we move, we can pretty much kiss a multitude of Lenten fish fries goodbye. Is there any community in or around Phoenix that has a lot of Lenten fish fries to choose from? I'm not talking commercial restaurants.

Considering that a good portion of the population that resides or visits Phoenix in February, March, and April, many Catholic Churches in Tucson and Phoenix serve fried fish on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent.

Personally, the quality has been very disappointing compared to Chicago and Wisconsin and I think that I would be more inclined to skip them.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I don't know who told you to kiss them good bye, I think almost every city or region in the country has churches that provide fish fries during lent. They will not be a common as in areas with a high % of Roman Catholics but you can find them. Our little town of less than 30,000 people have churches that offer them on Fridays. Like suggested by hertforshire, try posting on the Phoenix board.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Phoenix is nothing like Pittsburgh when it comes to church food. That is one thing I miss. A few years ago I printed out the listings from the Youngstown newspaper, a town much smaller than Pittsburgh, and it was 2 1/2 pages of church food sales. Until that day my neighbors didn't really understand what I meant by church food. They were amazed.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
You'll be fine. I went to Catholic parochial schools and then attended a Catholic university in the midwest. I am from rural AZ. Phoenix has a large Catholic presence. It's not like the Florida Panhandle. Over there, the Catholic population was < 5%. But even there they had local churches doing the fish fry (albeit smaller). By contrast, Phoenix is just huge for a Catholic presence. I lived in North FL for over 10 years.

The other large presence would be Protestant or Mormon churches in Phoenix. Arizona is known for having many Mormons in Phoenix and the smaller towns. But Arizona has had a Catholic presence since the arrival of the Spaniards in the early 1500s with many missionaries ever since. I have noticed that people who move here from the midwest tend to be Catholic as well.

But like other regions, there is a large efflux of young adults from the Catholic Church. However, the aggregate community is still large and thriving. Just look up the diocese website and you'll find what you are looking for. I go to Mass at downtown Phoenix simply out of preference. But Chandler, Gilbert, Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, etc. have very active congregations.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 PM

33 posts, read 50,084 times
Thank you, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area