Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 AM

70 posts, read 75,060 times

Advertisements

We are interested in AZ to possibly retire to in 2 years - planning ahead & doing lots of research & visits.

We've been to Prescott/Prescott Valley - it didnt jump at us as where we would like to end up - Sedona area is pretty, but too touristy - not to live...Flagstaff - too much snow...lol...Still may check out Oro Valley area, but right now ideally we are liking the outer Phoenix locations & love the real desert southwest feel with the cacti etc...

We live in New England & deal with hot humid summers - Its obviously a different kind of hot in Phoenix!! We have a lil cargo trailer we tricked out into a camper & we love to camp, but its too small to be able to take our fur baby cat for an extended lets say 1 or 2 month excursion & IMO cats are not meant to camp...lol...

That being said, for those of you who disappear for lets say a month or two & DONT have a second home, fancy RV, or cabin you go to, where do you go? Do you do perhaps a short term rental in the mountains in Colorado or something similar or perhaps by the beach areas in California?

We're not rich by any means - so just trying to glean info on semi-escapes from Phoenix during the really brutal harshest parts of the heat...

Thanks for any info/ideas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 10:24 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,295 times
Why limit yourself to one place? One summer you can go to Cali, another Flagstaff or for a real trip try Minnesota or Wisconsin. You can see the whole country. But, I guarantee you will be happy to return to AZ when you are done.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:47 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybunnie View Post
That being said, for those of you who disappear for lets say a month or two & DONT have a second home, fancy RV, or cabin you go to, where do you go? Do you do perhaps a short term rental in the mountains in Colorado or something similar or perhaps by the beach areas in California?

We're not rich by any means - so just trying to glean info on semi-escapes from Phoenix during the really brutal harshest parts of the heat...

Thanks for any info/ideas!!

Utah State University and the city of Logan, UT market a summer program to many senior Arizonans that encourage them to come to the mountains of Utah from June to August. I have attended several of their marketing presentations and what they are offering is a pretty good deal.

https://summercitizens.usu.edu/AboutUs.cfm

I have been to Logan on my own many times and I cannot think of a more pleasant way to spend the summer. However, I have not participated in this program as we actually enjoy the summer months in Southern Arizona.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Payson is 90 minutes from Phoenix and Silver City NM is 5 hours away. Both are nice getaways for the summer or long weekend.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Utah State University and the city of Logan, UT market a summer program to many senior Arizonans that encourage them to come to the mountains of Utah from June to August. I have attended several of their marketing presentations and what they are offering is a pretty good deal.

I have been to Logan on my own many times and I cannot think of a more pleasant way to spend the summer. However, I have not participated in this program as we actually enjoy the summer months in Southern Arizona.
Interesting!!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Why limit yourself to one place? One summer you can go to Cali, another Flagstaff or for a real trip try Minnesota or Wisconsin. You can see the whole country. But, I guarantee you will be happy to return to AZ when you are done.
Wouldnt want to go to the same place every time...thats kind of why I was asking options of what places/accommodations those without second homes etc...have found to be options

Old 03-24-2019, 02:48 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Or if you want to go even farther up north, how about Duluth, MN and UMD (University of MN Duluth). See Summer Senior Rental Program | UMD

Old 03-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Or if you want to go even farther up north, how about Duluth, MN and UMD (University of MN Duluth). See Summer Senior Rental Program | UMD
Again...interesting, but pets arent allowed...lol....

Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,371,820 times
Lots of folks escape the valley heat by going to a place like this for the hottest part of the summer....elevation 6000'. If you don't have your own RV, they have/had Park Models for seasonal rent. example of a Park Model.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-24-2019, 06:05 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
GREAT POINT.

We had planned to spend last July at St John's University at Collegeville, MN. We had all the planning and were getting ready to send in the check.

About two months before we were heading there, I received notification of a wedding and a 95th birthday that we had to attend in Ohio so we cancelled it.

One of my neighbors is retiring soon from UMD and has been pushing us to consider that area. We spent Easter in the Duluth area around 2012 and would like to head up there for a month or so in the future.

In addition to these locations, MOST Canadian universities offer summer accommodations and I think that over the years, we have stayed in at least ten of them throughout Canada when they have made sense.

================

The one disadvantage of the USU program is that the costs are a screaming bargain if you are able to spend the entire summer there. However, if you are like us and want to limit our summer trips to four weeks, it is quite a bit more expensive, butr still a good deal. And how can you not like the Cache Valley???

The USU facilities do have some pet friendly facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area