Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 9,781 times

Advertisements

My husband and I commute to midtown Manhattan everyday for work. We used to live in NYC, but moved into a suburb 30 min north about 2 years ago. Its ok, but we are only here because we are close to Manhattan for work and to work hard for the $ haha.

As we get into our 40s....we are seriously considering moving to Arizona to slow down the pace of our lifestyle and spend more time with my sister, who moved there about 2 years ago and try to have a better work/life balance

We would both get jobs wherever we could find them in the Phoenix area in our respective industries. We have looked and there are jobs available, we assume they would pay less.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge to share RE the transition from working in Manhattan to working Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM

566 posts, read 572,829 times
Hey! We recently moved here from the NYC area. We lived in Brooklyn for 12 years and then my husband commuted an absurd distance from PA to Brooklyn for work. My sister and family live in Westchester and they commute into Manhattan for work. I will say this: I really love it here. Phoenix feels way different than NYC and yet there are small things about it's urban feel that reminds me of NY. The absolute best thing about living here is the 15 minutes it takes my husband to get to work in North Central Phoenix. Just the best work life balance. I miss NY, but not the grind. I work from home so not factor either way, but my husband... just so much better here. I hope my own sister decides to come here too.

Message me if you want to chat more.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:30 AM

383 posts, read 633,658 times
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and worked most of my life in NYC. (Midtown, Downtown & Downtown Brooklyn)
I moved to Westchester, and then to Stamford, CT and did the daily commute to Manhattan and Brooklyn. Not a pretty commute via MetroNorth and subway.
Four years ago we decided to move to the Tampa, Florida area. Long story short, it was a lesson learned. Between the humidity, mosquitoes, and the fact we had to evacuate our home during hurricane Irma, we decided on finding another city that we would enjoy.
We decided to visit Phoenix in 2017 and loved it. Our hotel was out in Chandler, and we got a taste of suburbia. Very nice area, but not urban enough for this Brooklyn boy.
We moved out here in April 2018, and live in Midtown Phoenix. Urban living, but nowhere in comparison to NYC. We live walking distance from the Light Rail, so my commute is a breeze. 20 minutes to work, and my employer pays for my light rail fare for saving the environment.
We are 5-10 minutes from everything. Restaurants, theatre, bars, museums, and movies. We walk to the Phoenix Theatre, where we just saw Jersey Boys, Little Shop Of Horrors, and West Side Story. Downtown is 5 minutes away, we can hop on the rail without worrying about parking. In one direction we have tall office buildings, and 1 block in the other direction we have an historic neighborhood with beautiful homes. Traffic seems light as compared to NYC.
Freeway traffic is heavy most of the time.
Summer heat is extreme. Oven like temperatures can reach 117 during the day and maybe cool down to 100 by midnight. Phoenix does get humidity in the summer, and we do have dust storms. You don't want to be out in one. The spring and fall months are beautiful. This winter was cold and it rained often. (yes I had to wear a jacket with my sweatshirt)
We are extremely happy living here. Come visit and try it out for yourselves.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
My first question would be, have you spent extensive time visiting your sister - including summertime?

Old 04-05-2019, 01:59 PM

163 posts, read 206,853 times
I moved out here from Dutchess County NY in 2014 and love it. I used to commute 2 hours EACH WAY on the train to NYC for work. I work from home now so can't speak to the commuting out here but my girlfriend commutes about 45 min and the traffic is pretty bad. But the lifestyle you can live in this area is awesome imo and you have every amenity and entertainment option you can think of. I love the weather - especially right now - and don't miss living back east at all.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:46 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
They say if you can live in New York you can live anywhere. But Edward Abbey said if you can live anywhere, why would you live in New York?

Actual toughness is tested in our summers. If you can handle that, you are tough enough to live here.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:29 AM

344 posts, read 812,538 times
Moved here from NYC over a decade ago. There are a few things in NYC that I miss, for which trips are almost enough. In general, the quality of life in Phoenix and in the southwest part of the country is so much better. There are migrations out of the northeast and elsewhere, and I’d guess there would be even more here in the southwest if they knew what it was like. Even the dreaded summers here, I’ll gladly take over NYC heat and subways.

There are some challenges in moving, but the economy’s good and this would be the time to move, rent in a couple of areas you discover you like, and give it a chance.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
They say if you can live in New York you can live anywhere. But Edward Abbey said if you can live anywhere, why would you live in New York?

Actual toughness is tested in our summers. If you can handle that, you are tough enough to live here.
As someone who travels to NYC frequently I can say the winters there also test your toughness, it’s easy to forget how harsh winter can be in the northeast after a few winters in Phoenix but a negative windchill is no joke just as a 117 day is here. I’ll still gladly take Phoenix over NYC, Manhattan is great to visit.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 9,781 times
thanks to everyone who responded. I have been to phoenix in August, December, and my third trip in Late May is coming up.
I tend to agree...NYC is a beast to live in and the winters are brutal.

I love working here though, the energy, the pulse, i'm just so afraid I won't feel the energy or passion for job in Phoenix. I guess there is no way to tell.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I have met a lot of people that lived in the major cities on the east coast in my life.
It's very different out west to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: