Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:58 AM

11 posts, read 11,705 times

Advertisements

So the timing of us moving is looking more like its going to happen in the heat of the summer. Are there any advantages to moving during the blazing heat? Like do prices go down in summer because people dont want to move during that time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaguz View Post
So the timing of us moving is looking more like its going to happen in the heat of the summer. Are there any advantages to moving during the blazing heat? Like do prices go down in summer because people dont want to move during that time of year?
Prices for what? If you mean rent or home prices, no. You may find some short term rentals for a discount while college students are gone and the resorts offer great starvation packages, including cheap golf. but there isn’t a massive drop in a 12 month lease rate as the result of it being hot outside.

There’s not nearly as much seasonal variability as there used to be here, we do get a welcome respite from snowbirds and tourists along with a 12 week hiatus from college students. But the Summer is still a popular time to move because the kiddos are out of school, while some things in life adjust for the heat our world doesn’t revolve around the weather. People still do just about everything you do elsewhere in the summer here.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:19 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
I've always been told summer is peak home sale month as families want to be settled by the time school starts. If that's correct, then logically movers should also be busy during the summer. Add to it many renters may not want to move themselves in the summer and spring for a moving service, and movers might be even busier. Just a guess though, I don't know for sure.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
My parents moved from IL to AZ in July, 30-some years ago. Yes, it was hot, but everyone survived. Phoenix is a huge metropolis, and the city does not shut down because of the heat. People adjust and adapt, and go on living their lives. In the summer, people hop from their air-conditioned cars to the air-conditioned buildings, and do not spend as much time outdoors. Of course, swimming pools help, but in general people are busy earning a living and do not have that much leisure time. They are busy with work and activities, just like anywhere else.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:44 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
I moved from Dallas last July. Hot in Dallas, but hotter here for sure. I didn’t notice much difference from any other move in regard to prices. I actually tried to schedule firefighter movers here in AZ to unload the truck, but they were booked. I guess they could’ve been loading people up to move to cooler climates, but I doubt it. Lol.

I was happy to be moving here among the sun, palm trees, and mountains, so that was my advantage.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:59 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
I would try to do most of the physical moving work, before the sun comes up...after the sun goes down...
Drink plenty of water.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
Well, there's a big psychological advantage - you'll get it out of the way and not worry about it.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
we moved here from Illinois in August, and yes, it was hot; the movers showed up at 5:30am, and the truck was emptied by 11am..the movers charged their higher rates, since, obviously, most people move during the summer..
But, as others have said, life doesn't stop here when it hits 110+. You learn to stay out of the sun, drink water endlessly, and schedule your outdoor necessities early in the am, or way after sundown.
Its light here in the summer at 5:00 am or so, so you see lots of outdoor activities early in the day. Most trades men, for sure painters, roofers, and those that work out side, are usually done by 2pm, the latest, some stop at noon when its really hot..

But, to answer your question, most prices arent lower in the summer..

Old 03-30-2019, 09:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
My rental rates go up from end of April through September because so many people are moving, if you look right now there is very little available in a lot of areas. The slow season for unfirnished rentals is Nov-Jan, if you don't go after the short term and furnished market then you aren't going to attract snowbirds.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:27 AM

346 posts, read 549,414 times
We moved the end of July almost 4 years ago and we were able to get a great deal on a VRBO home to live in (with our pets!) until we closed on our new house; winter and spring training rates were WAY higher and since we were staying weeks, not days, the owner was willing to slash the offseason rates even more.

During the summer commuting is a little easier and the wait for tables at restaurants is shorter but that’s about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: