Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 03:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times

Advertisements

I live near Shea and Scottsdale Rd and am looking for hearing aid/audiology places near there. I have used Metro Hearing which is closely but am having trouble getting a satisfactory pair of hearing aids. Might just be bad luck, but have been back in about 6 times, changed hearing aids, etc...and they still are not satisfactory.

Thanks for any help give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 06:30 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
One word: Costco

Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Two words: Absolutely Costco.

Really. They'll do you right.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:03 PM

Costco? Really? Wow...never thought of them for hearing tests and aids...thanks to both of you....

Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Costco? Really? Wow...never thought of them for hearing tests and aids...thanks to both of you....
Easy mistake to make.

I first became acquainted with their services when I needed ear impressions taken to have a set of custom IEM's (In-ear monitors) made in an attempt to help mitigate hearing damage I suffered from professionally (recording studios, edit bays and live shows). I don't know that they still offer this service but the tech sat me down and had me in and out in with the molds pronto charging next to nothing.

Later when it came time to finally bite the bullet and get real-deal aids I went to an audiologist connected with my doctor. I had the testing done and got my frequency response graph. I thought I'd run to Costco and get tested there as well. Belt and suspenders as it were. The tests and graphs were identical.

The Kirkland instruments themselves are made by one of the two companies on the planet that make medical hearing aids. Costco charges about 50% of what they retail for elsewhere. (Good prices on batteries as well.)

I submitted the charges to my insurance company and because they too hadn't considered Costco as a provider, kind of stalled the reimbursement. Privately, the person handling my account asked me a lot of details about all things Costco Hearing Center. It turned out her husband had a severe injury that had resulted in significant hearing loss and they were desperate to find affordable help. They then went to Costco and got things taken care of. Done and done. I was happy to learn shortly thereafter Costco was made an approved vendor for everyone in the entire company.

If I sound evangelical, I am. I made part of my living working in sound. I know I'm never going to get my critical ears back. Damage done. However, proper testing and the right instruments can help a lot. Costco did both in exceptional manner.

Not to end on a harsh note, but I've told this story elsewhere and inevitably there's an Audiologist that will take exception, that they and their services/instruments are vastly superior and worthy of the higher prices. Maybe, maybe not but it seems to be the same argument Opticians had when Zenni Optical came along, put a crack in the Luxottica cabal and started selling eyeglasses for ten bucks a pop. I'm sympathetic to the business demands, but I'm more sympathetic to people who could really increase the quality of their lives with things like glasses or hearing aids if not for someone grabbing that last dollar on the table.

Well I see I've went beyond my allotted time... good night, drive home safely, be sure and tip your servers!

Last edited by take57; 04-01-2019 at 02:31 AM..

Old 04-01-2019, 10:27 AM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I agree...Costco. Great service, great hearing aids, wonderful price.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Later when it came time to finally bite the bullet and get real-deal aids I went to an audiologist connected with my doctor.
I did that, too. Had a horrible experience. The testing was fine but then he handed me a list of 300 different hearing aids, with prices. He said, "Pick one. Any one of these will work."

I couldn't. I didn't know anything about hearing aids to know which would be best or would be worth the money. The audiologist's office badgered me every Friday to make a selection: "We have to get our order in today!" I begged them to choose for me. Finally, I told them to buzz off.

Went to Costco. Was tested. Results were identical to audiologist's testing. The guy said, "This pair is the best for you and your hearing profile." DONE.

OP, Costco wants you to go back regularly and will set up appointments with you. They want to make sure everything is working properly. You may need cleaning or repair occasionally. You have a 6-month trial and if you don't like them at the end of six months, you get your money back.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:04 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
HearUSA 1st

https://www.hearusa.com/find-clinic.aspx

Costco 2nd

Old 04-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Thanks so much, folks. I'm going back to Metro Hearing tomorrow, but I'm skeptical. If they try to correct these for free, I may take them up on it, but I know COSTCO will be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: