Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:32 AM

811 posts, read 623,017 times

Advertisements

Recently purchased a home in Pinnacle Peak and unfortunately no one caught the fact that we have a freeloading tenant living in the attic. Really surprised the home inspector didn’t catch on that maybe, just maybe the 30 or so 3” inch-long hair-covered turds on the roof meant something. It’s getting access from our roof under an eve.

So far we’ve been referred to all the usual suspects but we have no intentions of having Az Game & Fish, Southwest Conservation, pest bounty hunter, bobcats-r-us, or anyone else up on our roof breaking clay tiles because they’re more concerned with a pest than a person’s property. However, it is getting quite old hearing a 35 lb animal marauding around in our attic at all hours of the day and night.

Looking for something passive like ultrasonic or a taser. Lol. Seriously, I don’t want rabies or get my a$$ handed to me by a cat but I would like to deal with this myself. It’s a beautiful animal that we don’t want to see harmed but I won’t lie; it would make a handsome little rug.

For the people tempted to exclaim “but they were here first”... until a critter starts paying rent or qualifies as a loving pet, they’re not welcome in my home. Also, we have small dogs that we don’t want eaten. If that happens there is little doubt what this predator’s short-term future will look like.

Can’t tell from my awful photo but the creature had a taunting smile on its face when I got the pic.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and criticism.
Attached Thumbnails
Bobcat living in my attic and seems very happy-d4efe6a4-46f5-4359-8e45-be53dd02d83b.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Revolver.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Revolver.
Too afraid of friendly fire. 12 ga would be my choice if I felt threatened.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,855 times
Idk if they would do it, but maybe contact Phoenix Zoo and tell them they can have the animal if they can safely remove it from your house. That way you don't have to pay anything, and the animal is not killed, and you make a positive donation to society.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Idk if they would do it, but maybe contact Phoenix Zoo and tell them they can have the animal if they can safely remove it from your house. That way you don't have to pay anything, and the animal is not killed, and you make a positive donation to society.
I second this except suggest the Wildlife World Zoo as another backup, nearly all the animals they have on site are pulled in from exotic pet collectors world wide who could no longer care for them as they grew up.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 AM

1,336 posts, read 929,543 times
Wait, what kind of big hole do you have that allows this animal access to your attic ? I am pretty sure there is no building science that dictated that design feature.

I read studies that showed those ultrasonic things have absolutely zero effect on any living creature. All they do is sucker desperate buyers with what they want to hear.If you can bait it out, then close up that entry point ?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 AM

843 posts, read 566,650 times
He looks marvelous. I would like to think that you could get some professionals out there who won't damage your house and help you trap him humanely. I doubt if the typical "Pests R Us" guys who treat for scorpions, bugs, etc would have the expertise but there certainly must be some options besides Animal Control.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:47 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
It looks like the University of Arizona mascot!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Wait, what kind of big hole do you have that allows this animal access to your attic ? I am pretty sure there is no building science that dictated that design feature.

I read studies that showed those ultrasonic things have absolutely zero effect on any living creature. All they do is sucker desperate buyers with what they want to hear. If you can bait it out, then close up that entry point ?
I ordered an ultrasonic gismo out of desperation; still waiting for it. Mr. Bobcat will probably laugh at that like he/she did my cat mace. All that did was repel me. Speaking of she... baiting it and getting it away from the roof giving me time to close up the hole would be an option except when it paws and scratches above our family room for hours it makes me think it may have a litter on the way, or worse yet already there. However I would guess we'd hear them if that were true?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 AM

4,072 posts, read 5,154,276 times
While that is pretty stinkin AWESOME to have a bobcat living with you, I totally get the annoyance and I would be worried what kind of damage it is doing to your attic. Maybe lure it out someway and seal up the hole? I doubt Fish and Game would tear up your roof getting the animal out...no one wants to tear into a bobcat den...they get pretty territorial.

Maybe a cat trap and some lure? Lure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area