Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 AM

108 posts, read 362,401 times

Advertisements

To save money, is it feasible that I could move to Phoenix without ever having been there?

I have a job waiting so that part is covered.

I can probably get a sense of bad and good neighborhoods on this board.

I could line up an apartment via online and phone, perhaps for a short term

lease in case it turns out to be not so great.

This would save me some money from a trip out there that I could put

towards moving.

I am not worried about the weather. I have been in Vegas in the summer,
and I prefer the heat.

Would it be too crazy or reckless to just move without scouting it out in
person first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,459,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLeeVegas View Post
To save money, is it feasible that I could move to Phoenix without ever having been there?

I have a job waiting so that part is covered.

I can probably get a sense of bad and good neighborhoods on this board.

I could line up an apartment via online and phone, perhaps for a short term

lease in case it turns out to be not so great.

This would save me some money from a trip out there that I could put

towards moving.

I am not worried about the weather. I have been in Vegas in the summer,
and I prefer the heat.

Would it be too crazy or reckless to just move without scouting it out in
person first?
To be blunt, I think it's insane to move anywhere without visiting first, preferably more than once. Some of the most bitter and disgruntled residents of the Phoenix Metro Area are those that moved with unrealistic expectations and insufficient knowledge of the area. I'd say do yourself a favor and come out first. The peak tourist season is drawing to a close, so hotel rates in May and June should be more favorable than they have been in recent months.

Last edited by exit2lef; 04-12-2008 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM

12 posts, read 30,601 times
As long as you have an exit plan you might be alright.
Just because you've heard good things about the area it doesn't mean that you will like living there.
We are moving there soon, but we've been there many times at all seasons of the year. Yet we do realize that not until we live there will we truly know what it is like.
Just keep that in mind and don't just get caught up in the adventure of it.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 30,601 times
["To save money, is it feasible that I could move to Phoenix without ever having been there?"]

One more thing...realize too that if you hate it there you will end up spending more money trying to get out again, so in the end your plan to "save" money by not visiting there first might back fire on you and end up costing you thousands more.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:36 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,211,307 times
Some folks have done it. As far as "visit at least once", sure that would be preferable. But even with one visit, especially a short visit, you are not going to "know" much of anything. And yes, you could always move back if you dont like it.

My sister moved here sight unseen with a friend about 20 years ago and did just fine.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:26 AM

38 posts, read 135,908 times
Have you been to LA? I just drove around Phoenix and it reminded me a lot of LA- nice parts, not so nice parts, lots of strip malls, lots of concrete, etc. Where are you coming from? I bet if you make a few stops you can get there in a fairly inexpensive way....?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM

136 posts, read 366,691 times
[SIZE=3]I would say it depends on your situation. If you are single and will not be moving a family down there, which from your post seems like the case, I think you would be just fine. It would be a great adventure. But if you have kids and a family I would definitely check it out first. I am moving down there too and I was planning on going sight unseen as well, but my mom surprised me with airline tickets for us to go down and check it out first. Anyway, I think it is a great opportunity to get out there and try something new. If you don’t like it you could always go back home. [/SIZE]

Old 04-12-2008, 11:32 AM

937 posts, read 2,835,488 times
I took three trips and that was enough for me to make my own decision

Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
I'm about 80% certain I'm moving to Phoenix, and I've only visited one time before, 10 years ago. I am coming down there next weekend to check the place out. It will be a leap of faith to be sure, but I'm excited. Palm trees here I come!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,721,074 times
BobLeeVegas, based on this post and your other one in the Phoenix forum, I think you feel you have nothing to lose by moving to the area and everything to gain. If you have no other commitments, and nothing and noone to tie you down, it might be worth it to move to Phoenix sight unseen. Sometimes you just have to take that risk, especially if you need a break from the same old, day after day routine. I normally would say to visit first, but you seem like you really have your mind set and a job lined up, which a lot of people don't have when they move.

Just don't burn any bridges where your at, in case you need to move back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area