Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
- How expensive is it to live there (average utility costs?) - Depends on what you consider expensive and your budget.
- Is it a family friendly area? - Sure...it is one of the safest cities in the country
- Are neighbors usually friendly, easy to build friendships with? - This mostly depends on you and your compatibility with your neighbors. Most times it is luck of the draw but...I don't think anyone is going to be able to say whether or not you will get along with your neighbors.
- What are some Pros and Cons of living in this town? - Again...depends on your view of Pros and Cons. It is Suburbia.
- Is there a trend towards leftists gaining leadership positions in this area? - AZ is slowly sliding left...so yes.

I think Gilbert is actually less likely to move away from the conservative side. While the overall population is becoming more diverse, the leadership is very much skewed toward LDS church membership and is likely to remain so indefiinitely.

To the OP- utility costs vary a lot depending on the age of the home and the unit, the windows and insualation, the available shade, the orientation of the home, and personal comfort preferences. Summer bills are likely to be higher than you are used to because of the higher summer temperatures. You can opt for a year round billing program that avoids the summer "sticker shock".

Yes it is "family friendly" like most of metro Phoenix. It is impossible to predict how your neighbors will behave in any part of the metro area, including Gilbert. I will say that generally, across the Valley, there is a tendency toward less contact with neighbors hit the garage door opener, pull in, close the door, reverse the process in the morning. Kids help increase interaction with neighbors anywhere, as do dogs that need walking.

Pros and cons? Impossible to say, it is a suburb like other suburbs in the Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM

321 posts, read 129,067 times
I am a conservative but I have noticed that the Left is gaining ground out here in the past few years. If you looking to move somewhere conservative this is the state to be in. As far as social issues AZ is becoming more welcoming to the left. However the Democrats that are out here are not heavy in the believe of mass taxation like CA. Gilbert and Scottsdale are some of the best places to live in the valley . Just my option though

Old 07-02-2019, 12:16 PM

306 posts, read 336,569 times
"Are neighbors usually friendly, easy to build friendships with?"

Followed up with...

"Is there a trend towards leftists gaining leadership positions in this area?"

Love it

Old 07-02-2019, 03:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,621,939 times
The metro, and state overall, is purple. If you want uber red conservative, then you need to consider the rural areas of the state or a different state.

Arizonans may vote "red" for the position (i.e., Senator or Governor), but they tend to vote "blue" on social issues (minimum wage, mandatory sick pay, etc). Registered voters are fairly evenly split, 1/3 GOP, 1/3 Dem and 1/3 Other/Independent and the "other" 1/3 is a huge factor in every election. Don't count on AZ being Texas Red Lite. We aren't.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,069,067 times
Yup. Phoenix metro and Arizona are purple, and getting more blue over time. While Gilbert is more conservative and likely to remain so, the state politics are heading in a direction that you won't like. Honestly, I'd look elsewhere for what you want.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,278,845 times
California is extreme in their policies. Arizona is not. Gilbert will be fine for you.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 PM

2,774 posts, read 904,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwins823 View Post
Thanks for the input but I'm fine with my current perspective. I've developed it with much experience and reason.

I know how to use the search function just fine, I made the post because I wanted that specific feedback.
Some people on this forum make it their mission to defend the bad policies that are driving people like yourself away from California and will take you to task for your "polarized attitude" or using terms like "lefty" as though it is narrow minded, when in fact, it is an astute observation of the facts. They do this because it is difficult to defend the failed policies that are fueling the current exodus from California.

As you know from actually living there almost every major problem that is driving people out of California is directly connected to the predominant political party who've create these failed policies and the people who keep voting them back into office.

Yes, some of those same people are moving here to Arizona and many to Texas because we have been traditional more conservative politically. It is my hope that those coming here will see that living in Arizona is more desirable because of it's traditional conservative past and subsequent policies that make living here more affordable and hopefully change their voting habits.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwins823 View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and my husband and I are interested in relocating to the Gilbert, AZ area. We are originally from the Midwest/South living in SoCal and are sick of the policies and the overly activist/leftist perspectives of the state reps and local politicians.

As a result, we want to learn more about the Gilbert, AZ area:
- How expensive is it to live there (average utility costs?)
- Is it a family friendly area?
- Are neighbors usually friendly, easy to build friendships with?
- What are some Pros and Cons of living in this town?
- Is there a trend towards leftists gaining leadership positions in this area?

We are also interested in living in other towns that may be similar to Gilbert, are there any recommendations on other places to look into?

Thanks.
I'm not going to upbraid you. I left Northern California. I get it.

I'm not sure why you fixed on Gilbert. There are many family-friendly places in the Phoenix metro. I will tell you this about "leftists gaining leadership positions", though: The city in which I live, Scottsdale, is a Republican stronghold. The city is run like a business. It is also achingly beautiful, unbelievably well-maintained, with friendly upbeat people. Scottsdale is all about family. Check out the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCorm..._Railroad_Park

There's a lot to see and do here, all year round.

Did you have a budget in mind?

Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 6,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not going to upbraid you. I left Northern California. I get it.

I'm not sure why you fixed on Gilbert. There are many family-friendly places in the Phoenix metro. I will tell you this about "leftists gaining leadership positions", though: The city in which I live, Scottsdale, is a Republican stronghold. The city is run like a business. It is also achingly beautiful, unbelievably well-maintained, with friendly upbeat people. Scottsdale is all about family. Check out the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCorm..._Railroad_Park

There's a lot to see and do here, all year round.

Did you have a budget in mind?
Thanks for the response and the info on Scottsdale! I like that area as well.

We like to be able to get to the city and to rural areas easily and don't want to live in densely populated areas. Living in this state has made us a bit claustrophobic
- We've seen a few 1400+ sq ft houses with 2-3 bedrooms in the area for around 200-300K and just want to find something nice and not too pricey to settle into.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 6,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
"Are neighbors usually friendly, easy to build friendships with?"

Followed up with...

"Is there a trend towards leftists gaining leadership positions in this area?"

Love it

They're not mutually exclusive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area