Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,935 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice on where to live out in the PHX area.
I am making the move out there ASAP without a job but money as a cushion.
Is downtown PHX bikeable? walkable? I was looking at the Roosevelt Row area.
I am open to anywhere that is pretty safe, and within 15 min of where most of the jobs are.
I'll be either sticking with finance work or branching out to construction (entry level apprentice opportunities)
as I heard it's booming there.

Thank you,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,935 times
Also wanted to mention that I was hoping to find a studio in the $700-$900 range.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,928 times
I hope you have a big cushion. To be blunt, it's pretty foolish to move to another state with no job (or even a prospect of a job). Best of luck.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
Yes, downtown Phoenix is very bikeable and walkable. Finding a studio in your price range will probably be the biggest challenge. If you posted this five years ago, there would be numerous places available within your price range. Rents have spiked quite a bit since then. Downtown Phoenix is one of the more expensive places rent wise these days. You probably can still find a place that would be closer to the upper end of your price range. However, it probably won’t be too luxurious. Another option could be to look for people who are renting out the guest houses in their backyards. Those are often very similar to the size you would expect from a studio but for a better deal.

You might want to consider looking at some older complexes in Midtown Phoenix, which is just up Central Avenue from downtown. The light rail line goes up and down Central between downtown Phoenix and midtown. Midtown is generally not as bikeable or walkable, but downtown amenities would be a quick light rail or bike ride away.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoman2019 View Post
...I am open to anywhere that is...within 15 min of where most of the jobs are...
Sorry to tell you this Ryan, but in this Metro area there is no such thing as an area that is within 15 minutes to where "Most of the jobs are".

The closest you can get to that might be downtown Phoenix, being that you are "equally close" (or equally far) from both the East Valley and West Valley cities.

Just plug into Google Maps: "Buckeye, AZ to Apache junction, AZ". Take a look at the map results to get a bigger picture of the size of our Metro.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:21 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
...Just plug into Google Maps: "Buckeye, AZ to Apache junction, AZ". Take a look at the map results to get a bigger picture of the size of our Metro.

I tell people the same, as those are the two bookend towns of the metro East/West wise. It's crazy when you think of that distance.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:42 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I tell people the same, as those are the two bookend towns of the metro East/West wise. It's crazy when you think of that distance.
And to put it even MORE in perspective, do the Google map search during rush hour and look at to projected drive time

Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I hope you have a big cushion. To be blunt, it's pretty foolish to move to another state with no job (or even a prospect of a job). Best of luck.
Many times on the other hand you'll never find one unless you do just that. A lot of employers will only consider local candidates so if you apply from a few states away, even if you are the most qualified individual, you'll never find a job.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:05 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoman2019 View Post
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice on where to live out in the PHX area.
I am making the move out there ASAP without a job but money as a cushion.
Is downtown PHX bikeable? walkable? I was looking at the Roosevelt Row area.
I am open to anywhere that is pretty safe, and within 15 min of where most of the jobs are.
I'll be either sticking with finance work or branching out to construction (entry level apprentice opportunities)
as I heard it's booming there.

Thank you,
Ryan
Well..."Finance work"...B of A is in South Chandler and State Farm has a major campus in Tempe. Bike-able/Walk-able really only applies outside of summer months but hey, you can always take the light rail from DT to Tempe.

Construction? You will be competing with all the others willing to take minimum wage as there aren't any real Unions out here. Developers regularly hire from day-labor staffing companies for general help and sub-contract to companies to do specific sections of a build. Concrete companies, framing, roofing, etc. Better to specialize if you want to go into that industry...electrician, plumbing, HVAC. If you plan on swinging a hammer, expect low wages. Then you have to figure that your job site will be far removed from where you are living so a bicycle is out of the question.

If you have more work experience in the Finance industry...stick with that unless you have a real desire to switch career fields.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Sorry to tell you this Ryan, but in this Metro area there is no such thing as an area that is within 15 minutes to where "Most of the jobs are".

The closest you can get to that might be downtown Phoenix, being that you are "equally close" (or equally far) from both the East Valley and West Valley cities.

Just plug into Google Maps: "Buckeye, AZ to Apache junction, AZ". Take a look at the map results to get a bigger picture of the size of our Metro.
To be fair the majority of jobs are east of I17. But that doesn’t help Op if he’s looking to ride his bike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area