Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 PM

35 posts, read 93,504 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I interviewed for a job in Columbus recently. I have been to Columbus once before for a couple days, and I really enjoyed the vibe of the town. On a side note, I interviewed for a similar job in another city recently, however, I decided not to pursue after hearing some first-hand horror stories.

Anyway, the Columbus job is located near North High and Lafayette. Ideally, I want to live close to the office for a short commute. I also love nightlife, bars, and the music scene. It would be great to go for a night on the town and be able to walk home. Finally, I'm a stickler when it comes to housing and transportation costs. I want my costs to be as minimal as possible on those two categories. I intend on getting a roommate. I would have no trouble splitting a place with a (grad) student.

I think I'm in luck since High Street seems to have a bus line along with plenty of restaurants, bars, and other neat venues. Is this bus line reliable to get to and from work during the weekday?

I should hear back from the job within a month. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,914 times
The number 2 which runs along High St s extremely frequently during the day. In fact, I never check schedules. After 7ish it becomes less frequent though - just twice an hour, but it also runs very late on the weekends. It sounds to me like you'd want to live anywhere along High between North Broadway and downtown. German Village, south of downtown, is very nice, but the 2 doesn't run down there, and it's pricey. I'd probably seek within the Short North/Victorian Village/Italian Village.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM

111 posts, read 405,655 times
Victorian Village, Arena District, Short North and Grandview Heights are going to be your best bets for living within a SHORT bike/walk/taxi ride from the nice bars/nightlife area of Columbus, unless of course, you would considering living near campus or possible in Clintonville, which would lengthen the time of that commute, but also save you a lot of $ =)

The #2 on high street is pretty nice, there's a night owl bus too (the "party bus", I think it's #21) that runs into late night on high street (not sure what nights...?) The blue taxis are also pretty nice, they take you anywhere on high street for a set fare, so that's always an option as well if you live close to high.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM

So I accepted the job. I'll probably be starting in mid May. Gotta figure out my next move.

Sounds like I want to live off High Street. Short bus ride to work, even shorter walk to bars/nightlife/etc..

Last edited by Willis84; 03-08-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM

I think I've found a winner with Short North or Arena District. But I'm not sure.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM

133 posts, read 589,787 times
Short North, Grandview, Victorian Village, Arena...you really can't go wrong with any of those. I used to live down there and I miss it now that I'm in the 'burbs and so far away from everything. You'll have fun there! Welcome!!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Now I'm in need of cheap housing in those areas. Any ideas?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis84 View Post
Now I'm in need of cheap housing in those areas. Any ideas?
How cheap we talking?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
Just so you know, Short North area (Vic & Italian Villages) is the gay 'Mecca' of Ohio so you have to be comfortable with us to live here. We don't put up with slurs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus