Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The proposition is asinine. And I hope it gets rejected. I live in Tempe as it says in my location, so I can't really vote against the prop, but I hope other Phoenicians realize what they vote on will change what happens with the rest of the cities. This prop will not affect only your city, Phoenix is the anchor, it will take the rest of us down.

Our light rail is actually more successful than Denver's, since Denver prioritized building on freeways, rather than in streets where people actually are. Can't speak on the others I have no idea.

No Southern or Western city was built for light rail or mass transit, in addition to the majority of Midwestern cities. Except for a couple NE corridor cities (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC), no American city was built for or prioritized for public transportation. But you look at places like Chicago, Seattle, Portland and you think, wow, how do these cities make it work? We can be one of those cities too, it's not out of left field for us. In fact it's where we should be right now, but it's better to reach the destination than never get there at all I suppose.
Well, I am in agreement with the pro 105 side that street improvements need to take priority over expanding light rail. Also, if light rail is allowed to keep expanding, there needs to be a serious reconsideration of the routes. Instead of extending the lines out to the suburban areas, more effort should be made to keep any expansion confined to centralized areas. Pink Jazz is a huge advocate for expanding the lines to Chandler, Gilbert, etc., but I can't see how the system would get the ridership in those areas. One reason the existing light rail line has done well is the location: mostly centralized where the demand is the greatest.

Main reason I'm voting against 105 is to block the pathetic NIMBYs from getting their way. They knew well ahead of time (prior to the last vote on light rail) that the expansion would include south Central Avenue and the street would be narrowed. Now they're forcing another vote, which is a complete waste of time since we already voted several times before on this. Also, the last proposition in 2015 included provisions for street improvements ... and since very little of that has taken place, I can't see how passage of 105 would guarantee that the streets in need of improvements/upgrades will be a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
if light rail is allowed to keep expanding, there needs to be a serious reconsideration of the routes. Instead of extending the lines out to the suburban areas, more effort should be made to keep any expansion confined to centralized areas.

Yes, that's exactly what should be happening IMO.

Create a core area with good public transport. Redevelopment will occur, with better "close in" housing options that will entice people to move into this core area.

Extending lines farther and farther, out toward Apache Junction, is not the answer.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Well, I am in agreement with the pro 105 side that street improvements need to take priority over expanding light rail. Also, if light rail is allowed to keep expanding, there needs to be a serious reconsideration of the routes. Instead of extending the lines out to the suburban areas, more effort should be made to keep any expansion confined to centralized areas. Pink Jazz is a huge advocate for expanding the lines to Chandler, Gilbert, etc., but I can't see how the system would get the ridership in those areas. One reason the existing light rail line has done well is the location: mostly centralized where the demand is the greatest.

Main reason I'm voting against 105 is to block the pathetic NIMBYs from getting their way. They knew well ahead of time (prior to the last vote on light rail) that the expansion would include south Central Avenue and the street would be narrowed. Now they're forcing another vote, which is a complete waste of time since we already voted several times before on this. Also, the last proposition in 2015 included provisions for street improvements ... and since very little of that has taken place, I can't see how passage of 105 would guarantee that the streets in need of improvements/upgrades will be a reality.
Prop 105 is a ban on any rail investment. Not just light rail. Streetcar, heavy rail, or any light rail improvements in the City of Phoenix forever.

I agree I’d rather focus public transit on denser parts of town that deserve it, one of those is South Central (highest bus ridership in the metro, about 80% of citizens in the neighborhood give or take). But I also get the other side of the argument: the more places it goes, the more people it serves. Personally I’d like Phoenix to focus the development on “The Box” and Midtown.

We need more lines for the light rail. Our one line is too long and because of light signaling (which phoenix prioritized for light rail, but not Tempe or Mesa) accidents, or other incidents, it’s hard to keep the train on schedule. If the prop gets rejected, the light rail will split into two lines, which will help keep the train on time. So current issues with our light rail would essentially go away.

Phoenix has one of the best light rail systems in the country. Let’s keep it that way.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Prop 105 is a ban on any rail investment. Not just light rail. Streetcar, heavy rail, or any light rail improvements in the City of Phoenix forever.

I agree I’d rather focus public transit on denser parts of town that deserve it, one of those is South Central (highest bus ridership in the metro, about 80% of citizens in the neighborhood give or take). But I also get the other side of the argument: the more places it goes, the more people it serves. Personally I’d like Phoenix to focus the development on “The Box” and Midtown.

We need more lines for the light rail. Our one line is too long and because of light signaling (which phoenix prioritized for light rail, but not Tempe or Mesa) accidents, or other incidents, it’s hard to keep the train on schedule. If the prop gets rejected, the light rail will split into two lines, which will help keep the train on time. So current issues with our light rail would essentially go away.

Phoenix has one of the best light rail systems in the country. Let’s keep it that way.
I forgot to add this but the reason they won’t focus on an urban core in this sense is because Phoenix car centric and therefore everything is far out. They want the light rail to go to “places of interest”. Examples would be office corridors (none of which are all that close together), near freeways to get commuters, universities, stadiums, and shopping centers. Take a good hard look at where these are on Google Maps. None of them are close together. Phoenix wants to put the light rail towards already successful areas, not areas that aren’t successful and cause massive gentrification and price increases with no amenities for maybe years? Depending on how long it takes developer’s to acquire land and build and what not.

This in combination with Phoenix’s BRT will be a great option. I also want Phoenix to do a streetcar that will serve Downtown directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area