Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 05:57 PM

61 posts, read 87,450 times

Advertisements

So I was just in the Phoenix metro area over the weekend. And overall, not as horrible heat-wise as I would have imagined.

That said, I became overconfident after a while. At one point I went into a grocery store. When I got out I realized I could not remember where my car was. Within two minutes, life had turned into an episode of Man vs. Wild. Within three minutes, I was contemplating drinking my own urine to survive, and maybe even cool down. As I entered into delirium, I heard my car honking for me, blinking its headlight eyeballs at me as if it were a mirage. I dont recall how I got to it, but I remember being revived by some AC down the shirt.

But other than that, no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:19 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,457,515 times
Lol that's funny man! And we don't judge, most all Phoenicians have drank their own urine at least a couple times!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:10 PM

8,554 posts, read 4,791,254 times
I’m much better at dealing with heat than cold.

Here in Texas, I hardly use the AC in the car. Helps me acclimatize.

You have it easy with the lack of humidity! Lol

Old 08-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m much better at dealing with heat than cold.

Here in Texas, I hardly use the AC in the car. Helps me acclimatize.

You have it easy with the lack of humidity! Lol
This is a great point. What was most jarring was the 50 + temp difference walking inside v outside. 65 to 115, even without humidity, not cool.

Still I'll take it over landing in DWF and that blast of 80 degree, humid air hits you when you get off the plane. Gross.

I tried to do the same as you - shut down the AC, roll down the windows, and maybe even open up the heating vents to cool the engine. That was pretty hot, pretty quick!

Honestly, driving to Phoenix, when my temp hit like 105 I thought my engine was going to blow. People down here, even at 115, does not seem to bother them at all.

Props desert people

Old 08-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy450 View Post
Now you know what being inside of a preheated oven feels like or even a furnace.
Yep. Opening a hot oven or blasting yourself in the face with a blow drier on Max are the only comparisons I can come up with.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:08 PM

8,554 posts, read 4,791,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
This is a great point. What was most jarring was the 50 + temp difference walking inside v outside. 65 to 115, even without humidity, not cool.

Still I'll take it over landing in DWF and that blast of 80 degree, humid air hits you when you get off the plane. Gross.

I tried to do the same as you - shut down the AC, roll down the windows, and maybe even open up the heating vents to cool the engine. That was pretty hot, pretty quick!

Honestly, driving to Phoenix, when my temp hit like 105 I thought my engine was going to blow. People down here, even at 115, does not seem to bother them at all.

Props desert people
If you’re stuck in traffic, it gets hot. If you’re moving at any constant clip, it’s not that bad:

The temp change from an indoor place to outside is jarring anywhere which features a hot summer.

Turning the heater on though? Wouldn’t do it unless the car’s telling you it’s needed. That’s just a step shy of cutting yourself!!!

Seriously though, with Raunaud syndrome, a hot climate sucks less than a snowy one.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,750,539 times
Quote:

Props desert people

105 is pretty mellow honestly but really 115 or 100 it really doesn't matter much does it? It's not like it stops you from doing much of anything related to office work, house chores, shopping, etc...

Here's a crazy story to me, I was up North last winter and it was 0 outside, talk about a shock going from 65 to 100, try going from 75 to 0... damn! And like Phoenix, people were rolling around just doing there thing!

Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,651,884 times
Quote:
So I was just in the Phoenix metro area over the weekend. And overall, not as horrible heat-wise as I would have imagined.

That said, I became overconfident after a while. At one point I went into a grocery store. When I got out I realized I could not remember where my car was. Within two minutes, life had turned into an episode of Man vs. Wild. Within three minutes, I was contemplating drinking my own urine to survive, and maybe even cool down. As I entered into delirium, I heard my car honking for me, blinking its headlight eyeballs at me as if it were a mirage. I dont recall how I got to it, but I remember being revived by some AC down the shirt.

But other than that, no problems.
It's called respiratory acidosis.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,319,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
105 is pretty mellow honestly but really 115 or 100 it really doesn't matter much does it? It's not like it stops you from doing much of anything related to office work, house chores, shopping, etc...

Here's a crazy story to me, I was up North last winter and it was 0 outside, talk about a shock going from 65 to 100, try going from 75 to 0... damn! And like Phoenix, people were rolling around just doing there thing!
So, I am the local weirdo who loves the heat, but the last few days have got even me saying F it's HOOOOOOTTTT. 105 vs 115 definitely does make a difference! Last night we ran a couple of errands and we thought about going out to eat but I said "Nah. I want to get home and out of this heat." (I know right? Me saying that???) I still way prefer it to being cold, but getting in and out of the car yesterday when it was 115 and walking across parking lots where I could feel the heat radiating up from the pavement was a LOT. If it was only 105? We would have gone out to eat

Old 08-06-2019, 07:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,979,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So, I am the local weirdo who loves the heat, but the last few days have got even me saying F it's HOOOOOOTTTT. 105 vs 115 definitely does make a difference! Last night we ran a couple of errands and we thought about going out to eat but I said "Nah. I want to get home and out of this heat." (I know right? Me saying that???) I still way prefer it to being cold, but getting in and out of the car yesterday when it was 115 and walking across parking lots where I could feel the heat radiating up from the pavement was a LOT. If it was only 105? We would have gone out to eat
The stickiness hasn’t helped. I don’t mind the heat per se. It can be dealt with generally, but it’s been straight gross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area