Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:39 PM

95 posts, read 119,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_14 View Post
Hi, I am rose I am 23 and a recent graduate from the University of Minnesota. I am planning to move to Phoenix Arizona strictly because the winter here in Minnesota is brutal. And I would like to know if that's a bad decision because I am only solely moving for the weather other then having the weather in MN brutal. Minnesota is pretty great and I would lose things like benefits or whatnot when I move to Az. I am also planning on to get a pretty well-paid job too and also I know Arizona's summer is HOT but doesn't cover it up with really nice winter 6 months of the year with nice weather or am I just completely wrong?

Please feel free to give me advice or comment because I really like to know other people's view about this. Like would you move to a state just solely on the weather even though there is a lot of benefits in your home state?

I'm amazed no one really mentioned the truly massive, massive sprawl that is Phoenix and it's suburbs, and the daily, hugely negative impact the has on everyone living there + the lack any real 'downtown" or center where one can leave one's car behind and walk, or bike to shops, cafes, bookstores, the like, as in most cities of this size in the States. Most cities have not only a walkable/livable core or more than a block or two, but neighborhoods that feature this as well. I lived in Tucson briefly in my early 20s and my brother and his wife lived in Phoenix for a decade up til about 5 years ago, so I am very familiar with these cities.

We are from the northeast so I understand your loathing of snow and cold, as I absolutely share it. I was not prepared however, for being 100% car-reliant at all times, due to the fact that every city block is miles long, and the roads between every block are huge 5-6 lane roads on which cars drive 50mph. You are essentially always on a highway or near-highway. Forgot about going for a stroll somewhere after dinner or a movie. RIGHT next to the sidewalk curbing, are cars going 50mph. This is everywhere in that city. On every block are plazas largely with chain stores and chain restaurants, gas stations, Walmart, and the like. Picture a generic mall without a roof on pretty much every block. That is about as much "indie culture" as you will find in most areas of Phoenix, downtown and in the entirety of the sprawl.

This is to say nothing of the intensity of the blistering heat. Trust me on this - if you dare open your car window at noon in Phoenix in July, the air coming into your face as you drive down the road is as hot as a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Not an exaggeration. And it is like this ALL SUMMER.

What does this mean for you in your everyday life there? Just going grocery shopping - the half hour you might spend in the store while your car positively bakes in the uncovered parking lot in July - when you get back out to your car ... just that incredibly unpleasant walk into the store across that baking hot pavement, and reaching your car which has heated up intensely is something you don't forget, and never get used to. So you are effectively a prisoner inside all summer - same as you are in Minnesota in winters - dashing from a/c car to a/c interiors and back again. Believe me, you will make excuses not to have to go outside as much as possible during summer.

There are cities with actual culture and walkablility and livability and quality of life that don't exist in a 75 mile wide scrub and tarantula and snake covered desert.

Obviously I dislike the place intensely. The only way you will know if it's the place for you or not, is to go an spend, as others have said, many months there - maybe a full year - INCLUDING the entire summer. Maybe get into a roommate situation somewhere and start your job hunt from there. Just make sure your car is reliable because it will be an absolutely daily necessity. And this is one of those states hostile to common sense regulation, so it's a tough place to find car repair places and dealerships that will not rip you off. My brother encountered this repeatedly over his decade there. If you are unfortunate enough to get a job a long way from your apartment, the sprawl of that city will be a daily reality, so try to avoid that as much as possible.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 07:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
The original post is a few months old now, but I’d say the OPs age is the biggest factor. At 23, I personally would move to a city that’s a lot more vibrant and walkable than Phoenix. AZ cities are designed for families and retirees, and frankly, there are infinitely better (and more fun) places to spend your 20s.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
The OP hasn't been back on the forum to respond in a few months?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite2015 View Post
This is to say nothing of the intensity of the blistering heat. Trust me on this - if you dare open your car window at noon in Phoenix in July, the air coming into your face as you drive down the road is as hot as a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Not an exaggeration. And it is like this ALL SUMMER.
WTH are you doing rolling your window down in July for? Maybe about an inch to vent the heat out of the cabin but...all the way down? While driving?

Old 11-04-2019, 09:06 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,276,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite2015 View Post
I'm amazed no one really mentioned the truly massive, massive sprawl that is Phoenix and it's suburbs, and the daily, hugely negative impact the has on everyone living there + the lack any real 'downtown" or center where one can leave one's car behind and walk, or bike to shops, cafes, bookstores, the like, as in most cities of this size in the States. Most cities have not only a walkable/livable core or more than a block or two, but neighborhoods that feature this as well. I lived in Tucson briefly in my early 20s and my brother and his wife lived in Phoenix for a decade up til about 5 years ago, so I am very familiar with these cities.

We are from the northeast so I understand your loathing of snow and cold, as I absolutely share it. I was not prepared however, for being 100% car-reliant at all times, due to the fact that every city block is miles long, and the roads between every block are huge 5-6 lane roads on which cars drive 50mph. You are essentially always on a highway or near-highway. Forgot about going for a stroll somewhere after dinner or a movie. RIGHT next to the sidewalk curbing, are cars going 50mph. This is everywhere in that city. On every block are plazas largely with chain stores and chain restaurants, gas stations, Walmart, and the like. Picture a generic mall without a roof on pretty much every block. That is about as much "indie culture" as you will find in most areas of Phoenix, downtown and in the entirety of the sprawl.

There are cities with actual culture and walkablility and livability and quality of life that don't exist in a 75 mile wide scrub and tarantula and snake covered desert.

Obviously I dislike the place intensely. The only way you will know if it's the place for you or not, is to go an spend, as others have said, many months there - maybe a full year - INCLUDING the entire summer. Maybe get into a roommate situation somewhere and start your job hunt from there. Just make sure your car is reliable because it will be an absolutely daily necessity. And this is one of those states hostile to common sense regulation, so it's a tough place to find car repair places and dealerships that will not rip you off. My brother encountered this repeatedly over his decade there. If you are unfortunate enough to get a job a long way from your apartment, the sprawl of that city will be a daily reality, so try to avoid that as much as possible.

Good luck.
I don't think people move here for the culture or walkability. Some places, such as Arizona, have more and/or other things to offer than those two things.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I don't think people move here for the culture or walkability. Some places, such as Arizona, have more and/or other things to offer than those two things.

Quite a sad comment that people don't move to Phoenix for the culture. I'm not entirely sure what the benefit of living in any large city is, sprawling or otherwise, if you don't at least get some decent culture. I mean really.

The OP as some have said is only 23 yrs old. Seems to me someone that age would want a place that is not only good for his/her career prospects/schooling, but also a place that is lively and culture filled, more than any other age group, perhaps.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
WTH are you doing rolling your window down in July for? Maybe about an inch to vent the heat out of the cabin but...all the way down? While driving?

Hi, of course no one would purposely roll their window down in Phoenix at any time during the summer. My point was to demonstrate exactly how offing HOT the air temperature itself is. I remember it well when I first moved to Tucson - a city not as hot as Phoenix on average. The wind coming down the street is literally as hot as a hair dryer on it's hottest setting. And again, that is no exaggeration. This is day in and day out for months. A good thing to know before you move to such a freaking soul-less sprawling culture-free hell hole.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM

189 posts, read 231,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The original post is a few months old now, but I’d say the OPs age is the biggest factor. At 23, I personally would move to a city that’s a lot more vibrant and walkable than Phoenix. AZ cities are designed for families and retirees, and frankly, there are infinitely better (and more fun) places to spend your 20s.
Kind of an exaggeration don't you think? My best moments of my life were my early 20s while I attended ASU. Lived in SF/SD after graduating, and can honestly say Tempe was up there with them. Maybe it's cause I had to work while living in SF and SD?? lol

Old 11-07-2019, 04:15 PM

421 posts, read 391,940 times
We just moved from Iowa to Arizona..... don't worry about the weather here compared to back home in MN and IA. Even on those brutally hot days in the summer the worst part is going from the car into an air conditioned building. Takes a few moments but even dressed for work it will be so less problematic than trying to maneuver your car through that winter weather back home, trudging through ice and/or snow in the AM darkness. Wearing layers and layers of stuff and then having to undress, redress and dress again. Hanging up wet cold clothes to dry and rewear…..ugh... Enjoy the 115 degree heat, it's worth it.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
Kind of an exaggeration don't you think? My best moments of my life were my early 20s while I attended ASU. Lived in SF/SD after graduating, and can honestly say Tempe was up there with them. Maybe it's cause I had to work while living in SF and SD?? lol

Seems like an exaggeration to me, the thousands 20 somethings I see at various cultural events don't seem to be worried about what's happening in other cities. The rainbow festival downtown last weekend was jam packed, we were on our way to dinner on Roosevelt and rolled by. The Aloha festival and Phoenix Chinese Week are always a great time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area