Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 09:43 PM

22 posts, read 23,464 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am rose I am 23 and a recent graduate from the University of Minnesota. I am planning to move to Phoenix Arizona strictly because the winter here in Minnesota is brutal. And I would like to know if that's a bad decision because I am only solely moving for the weather other then having the weather in MN brutal. Minnesota is pretty great and I would lose things like benefits or whatnot when I move to Az. I am also planning on to get a pretty well-paid job too and also I know Arizona's summer is HOT but doesn't cover it up with really nice winter 6 months of the year with nice weather or am I just completely wrong?

Please feel free to give me advice or comment because I really like to know other people's view about this. Like would you move to a state just solely on the weather even though there is a lot of benefits in your home state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Yes, big mistake. Do yourself a favor and don't move here.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Yes, big mistake. Do yourself a favor and don't move here.
Really? That's your advice?
Don't listen to that guy. I think he's joking with you.
Arizona is a fantastic state to live in and Phoenix is a wonderful city to start new. It's not for everybody but there is no way to know for sure unless you take a leap of faith.
Since you're just starting out, you have nothing to lose.
I moved here from Oregon at 51 years old in 2011 and started over. Best thing I've ever done.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 AM

306 posts, read 335,700 times
Search this forum. Lots of related info. You can search my posts if you'd like. I moved to AZ from MI 6 years ago.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Really? That's your advice?
Don't listen to that guy. I think he's joking with you.
Arizona is a fantastic state to live in and Phoenix is a wonderful city to start new. It's not for everybody but there is no way to know for sure unless you take a leap of faith.
Since you're just starting out, you have nothing to lose.
I moved here from Oregon at 51 years old in 2011 and started over. Best thing I've ever done.
It was a joke...relax.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_14 View Post
Hi, I am rose I am 23 and a recent graduate from the University of Minnesota. I am planning to move to Phoenix Arizona strictly because the winter here in Minnesota is brutal. And I would like to know if that's a bad decision because I am only solely moving for the weather other then having the weather in MN brutal. Minnesota is pretty great and I would lose things like benefits or whatnot when I move to Az. I am also planning on to get a pretty well-paid job too and also I know Arizona's summer is HOT but doesn't cover it up with really nice winter 6 months of the year with nice weather or am I just completely wrong?

Please feel free to give me advice or comment because I really like to know other people's view about this. Like would you move to a state just solely on the weather even though there is a lot of benefits in your home state?
To be serious, you need to come here first during the summer and stay for a bit. Just as you have brutal Minnesota winters, we have brutal Arizona summers. And what exactly do you mean by Minnesota "benefits?" And how are you planning on getting a pretty well paid job? Do you currently have a well paid job? Do you have any family or friends here? I'm not trying to discourage you from moving - there are just some things you need to think about.

Lastly, there are about 1,000+ posts on here about moving to Arizona. Dig around a bit and see what you come up with.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,266 times
MODERATOR - CAN THIS POST BE MOVED TO PHOENIX?

Hi Rose_14

First, welcome to City-Data. I see this is your first post. I would suggest you check out the Phoenix section for some answers to some of your questions. You will learn a lot by what people have written before.

The first thing I would do if I were thinking about moving to Phoenix is taking a trip out here (hopefully during the hot season) and seeing what it looks and feels like. It is very, very different than Minnesota. I would never move to Phoenix sight unseen.

Second thing, Phoenix is a HUGE metropolis and the distance from a "Point A" to "Point B" can be a long ways. It is advisable to have employment secured before renting an apartment. That way, you can plan your commute. Many people rent an extended-stay motel room first, before renting an apartment.

You did not mention exactly what type of work you are seeking. The type of position you get obviously will impact your pay. Some jobs here pay good money, but remember there is a lot of competition for entry-level jobs requiring a college degree. ASU, NAU, and the U of A graduate thousands of students each semester, along with private schools. And, there are many jobs here that do not pay good wages and many college grads are in those positions just because there are not enough jobs for all the people being graduated from college. It is not easy. But it is possible to get a job - the unemployment rate is low here; but the pay may be lower than what you anticipate.

I hope you will be able to explore previous City-Data posts, because you will learn a lot. And if you have questions that you can't find the answer to, by all means, ask!

Good luck with your move and job search!

Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM

402 posts, read 611,839 times
All I can do is warn you of the heat. Its not "just HOT". Its at least the equivalent of a 6 month winter. You cant do outdoor activities with the sun out period. The number on the temp gauge doesnt factor in the intensity of the sun rays on your flesh. A 90 degree sunny day here is HOT. Once its 110+ theres just nothing you can do but sit inside.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:19 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:

Have you considered Chicago?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:26 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:

If I were you, I would do it. The jobs and opportunity is similar and it's less expensive. I much prefer the Phoenix climate over Minneapolis. Phoenix is brown so you miss the green but there are gorgeous areas nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area