Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,239 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, new to the site. We are a family of four - two kids (4 and 6). Hubby is in line for a promotion, but it would require us to relocate from the Tacoma area in Washington to Phoenix fairly quickly (think 6 weeks). We don't know a whole lot about the area, but I have been researching and have narrowed it down to Litchfield Park, Gilbert, and Chandler. I am looking for some advice and opinions on the areas. We are going to try and either fly down to look over a weekend, or rent an AirBnB weekly until we find something - we'd prefer not to move more than once if we can help it because of the kids, but it is what it is.

We'd love at least 2,000sqft, backyard is more important than front yard (for the kids to play), I'd love a larger lot but I'm not opposed to a smaller one with the right house, AC, a garage, under an hour commute to downtown (Hubby's office is on Washington st), good schools.. Our budget is 350-400k but can go up to 450k at absolute most - the higher the HOA fee the lower end of the budget we need to be. It would be awesome if the neighborhood had a park/pool/gym/etc.

I am very close to my family and my kids see their Nana and Papa at least once a week right now, so that will be a big change for both them and me - I would love an area with a nice park, grocery store somewhat close, maybe other younger families in the area (not opposed to older though, they make for lovely neighbors).

My daughter will be starting kindergarten and I'd love to start my son in a Pre-K program, so that is important to have good schools/programs nearby.

What have I forgotten to include? Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
This is year 12. Ilive in Gilbert AZ, From Western WA. Once you move here you may not be able to go back as housing here accelerates slower than up there. I have been trying to pay off my house and save to go back for about 4 years now. I am paying an extra 2500 a month on my home but I am still slowly losing the battle. It will take a paid off home here for me to sell and put money down back on a home there (Puyallup). I will probably be paying MORE even then after the taxes. So, make sure this is a very long term decision, because once you leave one the the most beautiful states in the lower 48, you probably wont be able to change your mind. THAT SAID: Gilbert is my choice for best, most affordable place in the Valley. I did say Best and Affordable. There are cheaper taxes here. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. Its more expensive thee because, if you can afford it...its a better quality of life. Parks, Trees, Cascades, the Sound..I even miss the damn squirrels.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xadarah View Post
Hi everyone, new to the site. We are a family of four - two kids (4 and 6). Hubby is in line for a promotion, but it would require us to relocate from the Tacoma area in Washington to Phoenix fairly quickly (think 6 weeks). We don't know a whole lot about the area, but I have been researching and have narrowed it down to Litchfield Park, Gilbert, and Chandler. I am looking for some advice and opinions on the areas. We are going to try and either fly down to look over a weekend, or rent an AirBnB weekly until we find something - we'd prefer not to move more than once if we can help it because of the kids, but it is what it is.

We'd love at least 2,000sqft, backyard is more important than front yard (for the kids to play), I'd love a larger lot but I'm not opposed to a smaller one with the right house, AC, a garage, under an hour commute to downtown (Hubby's office is on Washington st), good schools.. Our budget is 350-400k but can go up to 450k at absolute most - the higher the HOA fee the lower end of the budget we need to be. It would be awesome if the neighborhood had a park/pool/gym/etc.

I am very close to my family and my kids see their Nana and Papa at least once a week right now, so that will be a big change for both them and me - I would love an area with a nice park, grocery store somewhat close, maybe other younger families in the area (not opposed to older though, they make for lovely neighbors).

My daughter will be starting kindergarten and I'd love to start my son in a Pre-K program, so that is important to have good schools/programs nearby.

That's quite a list for that budget. The one thing I would change - your husband cannot commute an hour each way. No way. He will never see the kids and no one will be happy. Get closer to work, think about a max 30 minute commute. Only problem is within 30 minutes of downtown you will not find anything in your budget that meets your needs. Maybe look at Ahwatukee, although I don't think you can't get to/from downtown during rush hour in 30 minutes. Litchfield Park and Gilbert would be miserable commutes.

ETA: Look at Moon Valley area (7th St and Thunderbird). You might be able to find some options in your budget near there and about 30 minutes from downtown.

Good luck, welcome to Phoenix.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:15 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
That's quite a list for that budget. The one thing I would change - your husband cannot commute an hour each way. No way. He will never see the kids and no one will be happy. Get closer to work, think about a max 30 minute commute. Only problem is within 30 minutes of downtown you will not find anything in your budget that meets your needs. Maybe look at Ahwatukee, although I don't think you can't get to/from downtown during rush hour in 30 minutes. Litchfield Park and Gilbert would be miserable commutes.

Good luck, welcome to Phoenix.
I wouldn't say that...when I had to commute to "Upper Downtown" from S Chandler it was about 45 minutes on a normal day. They just said under an hour which could put them squarely in Chandler or Gilbert. Would I recommend that commute? Heck no...that is why I work from home now.

OP: Please be aware that school has already started down here, if you are looking at Chandler...we have been in for 3 weeks. Granted, Kindergarten wouldn't be that hard to catch up in but just something to keep in mind. There are a lot of properties in master-planned communities under $400k...just don't expect a McMansion.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM

81 posts, read 73,827 times
I think if you want to use the public schools go to Gilbert or Chandler or south Scottsdale. Scottsdale would be a reverse commute. My husband did that commute. South Scottsdale has larger lots too than some of the sprawl. But I think you’ll be happy in any of these. I think you should go for it! There are also lots of charter schools in the area. 450k is a fine budget, it’s a cheap area (the valley overall) don’t let them scare you.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:50 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Don't let whom scare you? There are plenty of places within their budget in a master-planned community which, by their description, is what they are looking for? I don't think anyone typed anything that was meant to scare anyone...well maybe Foreverking...just the reality of the area. Some people fall in love with the desert, others like the idea but hate living in it and want their humidity and green plants back. The commutes are getting worse but by no means ANYWHERE as bad as Seattle. The home prices have been steadily climbing as more people move here (pros and cons to that situation). Better to go into it with eyes wide open rather than move here the tail end of Summer...love the Fall/Winter/Spring and then think "Holy $%#! what were we thinking" come next June.

Oh and Fassopony...if those friends that moved down here were telling you that the heat wasn't that big of a deal this past June...please realize that was not normal.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:03 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xadarah View Post

You don't want to live that far out trust me. Commuting into Downtown is getting worse and worse. I live pretty close into town (north Tempe just east of ASU, near Tempe Marketplace) and to drive 15 miles takes me 30 minutes in the morning. That is really good! But then it takes me 40-50 minutes to get home in the evening. I wish I was joking. My hours are 8:30 to 5, so in the heat of rush hour for both. And the 202 isn't the worst freeway as far as traffic congestion goes in this metro. The crowning title belongs to... I-10! Even worse coming from the West (Litchfield) than the East (Chandler/Gilbert). All three suburbs you mentioned would require commuting on that freeway, you can't get around it, unless you go out of your way.

To be fair I work in Midtown, so assuming I worked in Downtown my commute would be slightly shorter. I would say by 5-10 minutes. Of course if I worked Downtown at one of our other buildings it would be on the wrong side of Central for me (in the avenues) which adds up. Being on the streets would be easier but, you can't always win can you...

Old 08-10-2019, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,239 times
OP here - Hubby currently has a 45-60 minute commute, so it would be nothing new. As KurtAZ said, close to nothing compares to Seattle traffic, so we are used to it and look forward to the AZ "traffic". We understand the weather down there, dry heat is fine - we have lived "soggy" our whole lives and are ready to dry out. We both have family staying in WA so we will be back to visit during the summers. The cost of living here is much higher than Arizona, so we will be "upgrading" our home - no need for a mansion LOL. We have a 1800sqft house on a postage stamp sized lot. We just want good schools and a safe neighborhood- and if we're lucky, not a "cookie cutter" house made of thin drywall and plywood. I appreciate the honesty! We don't want to fo in to this move with rose-tinted glasses.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
The climate is opposite to what you are accustomed.

Whereas the Pacific Northwest takes water for granted but treasures sunlight, the Pacific Southwest takes sunlight for granted but treasures water.

It will take some time to adapt to the aridity. You may have nosebleeds.

You may grow to like the lack of mildew, mold and flying insects!

Old 08-11-2019, 03:02 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
This is year 12. Ilive in Gilbert AZ, From Western WA. Once you move here you may not be able to go back as housing here accelerates slower than up there. I have been trying to pay off my house and save to go back for about 4 years now. I am paying an extra 2500 a month on my home but I am still slowly losing the battle. It will take a paid off home here for me to sell and put money down back on a home there (Puyallup). I will probably be paying MORE even then after the taxes. So, make sure this is a very long term decision, because once you leave one the the most beautiful states in the lower 48, you probably wont be able to change your mind. THAT SAID: Gilbert is my choice for best, most affordable place in the Valley. I did say Best and Affordable. There are cheaper taxes here. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. Its more expensive thee because, if you can afford it...its a better quality of life. Parks, Trees, Cascades, the Sound..I even miss the damn squirrels.
Housing acceleration depends on when you buy...I bought 2 houses in 2011 in Phoenix area and they have tripled in value while my son's house that he bought in 2011 in Kirkland has only doubled in the exact time frame. The Seattle area pries are starting to come down a bit while Phoenix is still increasing a bit.

I would agree the beauty of the Sound is pretty unmatched but the housing prices have gone astronomical and traffic is horrific due to growth and the geography of the area makes building transportation system without major choke points impossible....you will notice it even near Puyallup and everything seems squeezed and hectic....just mentioning the other side of the coin.

OP, I would agree that Gilbert is a really nice community with good schools, reasonable housing, low crime, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area