Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,949 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal to park in front of a house that isn't yours for a maximum of 5 hours?
I have a neighbor who keeps telling my friends that they cannot park in front of her house because it is a no parking zone. The longest my friends would be parked is 5hrs. Usually for a gathering or just visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:54 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayraynestor View Post
Is it illegal to park in front of a house that isn't yours for a maximum of 5 hours?
I have a neighbor who keeps telling my friends that they cannot park in front of her house because it is a no parking zone. The longest my friends would be parked is 5hrs. Usually for a gathering or just visiting.
It would not be illegal unless one of the following is true:

1) There are signs posted limiting parking on the street.
2) It's a private street and HOA regulations impose limits on parking.
3) There is a fire hydrant or some other circumstance that limits parking.

That said, many homeowners are somehow under the mistaken assumption that they own the curb in front of their houses and therefore try to police parking there. I would ask the neighbor to show you where the parking restrictions are posted.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,949 times
Thank you for the input. I believed she was incorrect but i wanted to make sure.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:34 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Many ignorant individuals believe, or at least want you to believe, the space or spaces on the street in front of their home belongs to them exclusively . . . unless otherwise restricted and/or limited, DEFINITELY NOT SO.

Last edited by Bummer; 09-06-2019 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Your neighbor may be referring to the Homeowners Association rules. Some of them do not allow on street parking in member subdivisions. While not illegal to do so, they write up the homeowner whose house you park in front of and can levy fines on them. Of course, if it's not their car or a visitor they won't enforce that, but it is a hassle to deal with it for the homeowner who gets written up.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Unless stated specifically somewhere, it is not illegal on a public street. Your neighbor does not own the street.

But why don't your visitors park by your house?

Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It would not be illegal unless one of the following is true:

1) There are signs posted limiting parking on the street.
2) It's a private street and HOA regulations impose limits on parking.
3) There is a fire hydrant or some other circumstance that limits parking.
4) The homeowner has a disability and has applied for and received permission to have a dedicated disabled parking spot in front of her home. It generally costs a few hundred dollars to get this done and yes, violators can be ticketed and towed.

Quote:
That said, many homeowners are somehow under the mistaken assumption that they own the curb in front of their houses and therefore try to police parking there.

Some homeowners -- granted, not many -- do "own" it.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:26 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If it's a public street and there are no restrictions posted then yes anyone can park there.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:48 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
4) The homeowner has a disability and has applied for and received permission to have a dedicated disabled parking spot in front of her home. It generally costs a few hundred dollars to get this done and yes, violators can be ticketed and towed.
Wouldn't there be a sign posted in that situation?

Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
I'm not from that area but been in a situation like this. Obviously some places have rules, signs, etc.

But I do think there is a level of respect that comes with trying to avoid parking directly in front of somebodies house. Situations vary but if you want to stay on your neighbors good side you should try and avoid it. Obviously in some cases it's impossible. But there is a difference in parking directly in front & parking at least a car length away from directly in front. Plus, maybe parking further down the street with just a short walk (i.e. 70 feet).

I have a neighbor that has guests sometimes that park directly in front of my house. There is plenty of room to park to the side by at least 20-30 feet so that my friends can park directly in front of my house. Now, honestly i don't worry about it because it looks like somebody is home when they do that so that is a plus in itself.

But if I had a roommate or needed that spot I'd be a little annoyed when they can park 30 feet to the right instead of right in front of my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area