Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 17,689 times

Advertisements

I know you see a lot of posts like this. God bless you kind souls who respond. I'll be generous with reputation points.

I've got a job possibility in Scottsdale (near the intersection of East Via de Ventura and North Pima Road). The good news is I can do a lot of work from home and will only have to report in as needed. Still, I'd like to stay as close as possible to that area.

From what I've seen, Scottsdale is out of our budget. We're looking for a 4 BR/3 BA home for under $400K.

The driving force for us is the schools. We've got kids in elementary, middle, and high school. I know AZ has open enrollment, but I was curious as to how that worked for children moving in the middle of the school year. My guess is that they can still use open enrollment if there is space (but there probably won't be any for the most desired schools)? And is the open enrollment application period the same for all public schools, or does it vary?

Aside from open enrollment, it'd be nice to land in a spot zoned for good schools. Chandler and Gilbert seem to be more realistic for our price range, but it looks like that would be a relatively long drive to work. Any other parts of the valley you'd recommend checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
CUSD (Chandler Unified) has some of the best public schools in the Valley...BUT...it would be about 45-60 minute commute to Scottsdale. As far as the open enrollment, the best thing to do would be to contact the district office and talk with them.

Housing wise...take a look at the PV Area, east of Tatum/ north of Shea. There may still be some deals in that area.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:20 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBound19 View Post
I know you see a lot of posts like this. God bless you kind souls who respond. I'll be generous with reputation points.

I've got a job possibility in Scottsdale (near the intersection of East Via de Ventura and North Pima Road). The good news is I can do a lot of work from home and will only have to report in as needed. Still, I'd like to stay as close as possible to that area.

From what I've seen, Scottsdale is out of our budget. We're looking for a 4 BR/3 BA home for under $400K.

The driving force for us is the schools. We've got kids in elementary, middle, and high school. I know AZ has open enrollment, but I was curious as to how that worked for children moving in the middle of the school year. My guess is that they can still use open enrollment if there is space (but there probably won't be any for the most desired schools)? And is the open enrollment application period the same for all public schools, or does it vary?

Aside from open enrollment, it'd be nice to land in a spot zoned for good schools. Chandler and Gilbert seem to be more realistic for our price range, but it looks like that would be a relatively long drive to work. Any other parts of the valley you'd recommend checking out?
North Central Phoenix has some of the best public schools at the elementary school and middle school level (Madison school district). If you can get in the north side of that neighborhood (like say, 16th street and northern) you can land in Sunnyslope High which is one of the higher rated high schools in Phoenix proper. That should still be a good commute to your work. That area of town can get expensive so you have to look for a good deal.

You can also try looking in north Phoenix near Desert Ridge or Moon Valley area (7th street and Thunderbird).

Old 09-20-2019, 02:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Housing wise...take a look at the PV Area, east of Tatum/ north of Shea. There may still be some deals in that area.
Expand that a half mile west--don't go past 44th St--and you'll find even better deals, similar neighborhoods, same school district, without paying a premium for the Scottsdale mailing address.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:06 PM

566 posts, read 575,672 times
In our experience open enrollment is hit or miss. Our elementary school takes open enrollment but not right now because they are at capacity. There's also no guarantee with it as you have to apply for it every year even when your child is already enrolled (the chance of them losing their spot is slim, but you never know). I would plan to live zoned for a school you are willing to send your children to.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:07 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
As you say, it is asked many, many times. I aways give the same answer: Arizona is no different from other places. School quality/performance is closely correlated to the income level of people in the attendance district. So if you are moving to a place where houses cost north of $300K (maybe $400K in Scottsdale?) you will find the schools to be just fine. If your hood is below the median home price, now $285K, don't expect the schools to be the best performers. On the other hand, even these schools offer a decent education to students who want to learn.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
In our experience open enrollment is hit or miss. Our elementary school takes open enrollment but not right now because they are at capacity. There's also no guarantee with it as you have to apply for it every year even when your child is already enrolled (the chance of them losing their spot is slim, but you never know). I would plan to live zoned for a school you are willing to send your children to.
When I was halfway through high school my parents moved out of district and had to apply for me to attend my old high school through open enrollment. They did not accept any open enrollment applications except for kids that used to attend the school and then moved away. There was no such thing as a kid who never lived nearby that was able to get into the school.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
For what you're wanting (nice, large home under $400k), I would target Moon Valley area or I would even go as far north as Norterra area (I-17 and Happy Valley). That drive wouldn't be nearly as bad as East Valley traffic coming from Gilbert or Chandler. It wouldn't be great, but doable.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 17,689 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It sounds as if open enrollment might be even chancier than I expected. The specific leads on neighborhoods were helpful, too. One of the good things about being near the north side of Phoenix is that most of the people I already know live on that end. Cave Creek, specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area