Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,441 times

Advertisements

the tobacco of the 1700's wasn't laced with all the chemical krap that the tobacco industry forces down your lungs if you smoke the cancer sticks now; comparing todays junk with the tobacco of the 1700's is laughable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 03:58 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
the tobacco of the 1700's wasn't laced with all the chemical krap that the tobacco industry forces down your lungs if you smoke the cancer sticks now; comparing todays junk with the tobacco of the 1700's is laughable..
I had my doubts of what you mentioned ^^. But here is a site (one of many) that explain what the tobacco industry added and why... Like adding Ammonia to to "free base" for a bigger kick. Or Acetaldehyde (which makes it nicotine more addictive). i.e. rats press the bar to get a "puff" far more often. Also research shows people take more puffs per cigarette with it interjected. It goes on and on... https://www.verywellmind.com/cigaret...itives-2824737

Forgetting that for a moment, anytime something that could be considered healthy changes states (like burning an item that is safe orally) can result is a harmful chemical transition. So people who are vaping ________ may assume it's safe, but they are now the guinea pigs when it is learned that isn't the case. One such example of chemical changing from burning an item is burnt meat. Burnt flesh produce Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Depending on the type of meat, how burnt it is, and the genetic make-up of the person eating it, it has been linked to modifying a persons DNA (a carcinogen). It's why I love my Traeger grill (no flare-ups; ever and equally impossible to burn meats as an oven). I digress...

I suspect that people who decide to vape may not be the smartest tools in the shed (a couple standard deviations to the left of the bell shaped curve in which they have no damn idea of what I just said). They do what they want to do without looking into the ramifications. It's natural selection at work. If people want to be stupid, I don't mind that much so long as I don't have to help pay for it. Unfortunately, we all have to contribute $$'s for stupid people who harm themselves.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:13 AM

23,236 posts, read 29,075,721 times
^

Do you have any idea how much it costs taxpayers for those involved with car accidents every year, attributed to those who refuse to give up that dangerous addiction to owning and driving a car? It's a staggering amount!

In this book Tobacco, in 1999, England took in $11billion in tobacco revenue, and only $2 billion to care for those with emphysema/COPD. Not a costly disease to treat, in comparison to others, like obesity.

When I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility, they stopped taking in obese patients as they were losing money on them, so where they go is anybody's guess. What is needed: an extra-wide bed (in a cramped enough room) and an extra-wide wheelchair and if they should fall out of bed, our Hoyer lift had a weight limit of 400 pounds. After foolishly taking in a 600 pounder (who fell out of bed one night) and a 700 pounder, the facility stopped taking them in, if they were bed bound.

Compare that to an emphysema patient!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:59 AM

46 posts, read 39,043 times
So we have a handful of people who have died from vaping (THC laced products by the way, not regular vapes) and the entire country wants to ban this product? Tobacco Cigarettes and Alcohol kills millions and millions of people but those items are perfectly legal? Doesn't make any sense to me. Banning items never works, it just makes people turn to black market purchases which is far more dangerous.

I think it's a bit strange that the vape industry was cruising along getting people off of tobacco cigarettes (myself included) for years and years ... then all of a sudden, Juul (owned by Marlboro) starts making people sick? Supposedly these people have only been vaping for less than a year and they are getting sick and dying? People have been vaping for the past decade and they didn't get sick and die right way. Does anyone else see a connection here?

I think this has always been about big tobacco money, they lost so much of the market to the vaping industry, so how do they fix that? They come out with their own product, perhaps add something that makes them dangerous and all of a sudden you have the masses crying out to ban all vape products forever. Who wins? Big tobacco, because many folks will go back to cigarettes.

And they try to say this is about the kids, if it's because the so-called "fruity" flavors attract young kids, well what about all the "fruity" flavored alcohol that's on the market right now? I can waltz right into my local grocery store and buy watermelon Vodka, is that not marketing to kids? This is not about the kids, it's about big tobacco money.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:04 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,441 times
agree completely; all the things you mentioned are harmful to your health; the lobbyist/spin doctors at major corporations now know how easy it is to get the media to grab whatever issue or topic they want them to, and run with "the sky is falling, millions will die" about ______ topic they are pushing that day/week/month..

here again, vaping isn't good for you, cigs aren't good for you, excessive drinking isn't good for you, but, once again, the media has decided to harp endlessly on their chosen topic of "VAPES WILL KILL YOU" and that's now what we must listen to 24/7/365..

Old 09-28-2019, 11:07 PM

77 posts, read 74,470 times
I don't care if you vape or smoke cigarette/marijuana as long as I don't smell it or get second-hand exposure. Do it in your own home/car/whatever. What I don't get is if you like it so much why don't you roll your car windows up or keep your homes air tight and lock that **** in and keep inhaling it?

Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 AM

23,236 posts, read 29,075,721 times
^^
I think we've got someone here that puts a lot of faith in research scientists, who can be more corrupt than politicians, believing there's dangers to 2nd hand smoke.

And, if so, then this person, believing so in research scientists, would have heeded the advice of research scientists back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, who were claiming there was no dangers to smoking tobacco.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:30 AM

551 posts, read 694,165 times
Vaping doesn't kill people, synthetic weed from china made out of god-knows-what kills people. The tobacco lobby is just using this opportunity to get rid of their largest competitor at the moment, knowing that all the newly-addicted nicotine addicts will have to go to them for their fix.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 AM

46 posts, read 71,295 times
"All over the news and social media we are seeing reports of hundreds of people suddenly being stricken by a mysterious respiratory illness. It's not caused by vaping. At least not in the sense of nicotine vapor products created to help smokers quit. It's being caused by black market, low quality, or tainted THC cartridges which are oil based."

Everyone needs to be concerned about the e-liquid flavor ban. This is a freedom issue. Whats next? Your flavored alcohol, soft drinks, slurpees at 7-11? How about banning cigarettes? 450,000 people die a year from smoking related illnesses.

Below are some notes on the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement entered into law in Nov 1998. The largest settlement in US history.

"46 US States receive over $8 billion every year from the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (MSA). They spend less than 10% of that on tobacco harm reduction and youth education as agreed upon in the settlement.

Why aren't they interested in smoking harm reduction? Money. $200 billion over just the first 25 years. That settlement money pays for a lot of things when they don't spend it on ending tobacco use. Since MSA payments are based on the number of cigarettes shipped, and not the cost, they are interested in keeping people smoking.

Some states sold tobacco bonds to get money upfront in exchange for payments later. Those states are now starting to default on those bonds. What's the solution? How do they recover? Get people smoking again.

In addition, federal, state and local tobacco taxes generate $100,000,000 per day in the United States. The vapor industry is cutting into that and angering law makers.

City, county, and state governments, along with special interest groups controlled or influenced by the tobacco industry and the pharmacuetical industry are waging a media war of misinformation, trying to convince the public that vaping is not 95% less harmful than smoking. The goal of this is nothing less than a complete removal of all vapor products in the United States."

Old 09-29-2019, 12:48 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,246,503 times
"Big tobacco is behind this."

You guys know Juul is big tabacco right? A 35% ownership is the majority owner. Their CEO is a Marlboro exec. Juul has a 72% market share right now. Why would Marlboro go after their own investment under a year after they spent $12.8 billion on it? You think these companies throw more money than all of us will see in our lives combined at something like this then sit around and figure out the best way to torch it?

The Juul playbook is very much in line with big tabacco and what they were doing for decades. The FTC is investigating them for marketing to children and making claims their product is a safer alternative to cigarettes. Lies and dirty marketing are the big tabacco playbook.

The problem is Juul directly targets teenagers in their marketing. Youth vaping has exploded, 10% of 8th(!) graders vape in the 2018 survey. The survey also finds that an 8th grader who vapes is 10 times more likely to smoke a traditional cigarette compared to those who don't vape.

The bans aren't being done by big tabacco, they have too much money in the industry to also be the ones targeting it. Hell this is barely even a ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: