Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should advertising of vaping products be banned?
yes. 7 77.78%
no, but such advertising should be restricted. (please explain how below). 0 0%
no, leave it be. 2 22.22%
other (please explain below). 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ow-an-epidemic

I am far from a Trump supporter, but good for him for selecting a Surgeon General with the compassion and spine to say this.

Quote:
"I am officially declaring e-cigarette use among youth an epidemic in the United States," [Jerome] Adams said at a news conference... local authorities should use strategies, such as bans on indoor vaping and retail restrictions, to discourage vaping by young people.
Juul vaping products were singled out by some federal officials. Evidently they are by far the most popular among young people.

President Bill Clinton took steps in the 1990s to greatly restrict tobacco advertising, including the banning of Joe Camel, and givaways of free 'swag' merchandise with tobacco company logos. In light of this new epidemic, should we ban all ads for vaping products? I'm even hearing them on right-wing radio now. Sean Hannity is now personally doing ads for Juul. As I understand it, such a ban would have to be done either by the Congress or the FDA. The Surgeon General would not have authority to enact it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Compassion? Of all the areas in America deserving of compassion - vaping? Really?

I'd rather see the Surgeon General blast the companies enriching themselves on the opioid epidemic, for instance.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:08 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
I wonder how much the big tobacco companies are paying the government to go after the vaping world?

Old 12-30-2018, 11:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I wonder how much the big tobacco companies are paying the government to go after the vaping world?
They are one in the same, the tobacco companies all have their own line of Ecigs, Juul was just recently bought by one of the largest tobacco companies, BLU is owned by RJ Reynolds. Ive spoken to tobacco reps about Ecigs many times, they all say this is the way they are attracting new customers, and getting them hooked on nicotine, the ultimate goal is to get them on cigarettes as adults though.

We cannot keep JUUL products in stock, they sell out as soon as we get more delivered, its crazy, its mainly teens that are buying them too.

With every other product or drug Govt considers to be dangerous or epidemic level, they ALWAYS restrict access to the product at point of sale, (make them tough to get), its pretty interesting and suspicious they are not doing that with Ecigs.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:13 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Compassion? Of all the areas in America deserving of compassion - vaping? Really?

I'd rather see the Surgeon General blast the companies enriching themselves on the opioid epidemic, for instance.
I agree...or for the pollution that Trump's dumbass deregulations will cause.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:18 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Ban everything.

Make sure you set up an inefficient government agency to facilitate the machinery of the ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies