Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 PM

445 posts, read 400,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No but you appear to have on-going drama regarding housing. First it was the cost of renting. Now it's the neighbor. What's next?
Nothing is next. I'm tired of the smell. That's pretty much it. The unit is lovely. It's super modern and I keep it nice and clean. I will have to learn to live with it just like millions of other nonsmokers across the country as smoking pot is bigger than ever nowadays. Thankfully, it's mainly in the bathroom after closing up all the vents in the unit. It could always be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 09:34 PM

445 posts, read 400,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The over-the-top descriptions highlighted aren't helping your cause. In fact they get me thinking you might be embellishing the problem.

The best part of living in AZ is when a renter calls I can say, "I will be right over."

Then I can see for myself what is going on.
I just wish I could e-mail you a sample of the smell. It would clear up any confusion. Nevermind embellishing the problem. Fancy word. Haven't heard that in a while. It stinks to high heaven...

At this point, I have resolved to pretty much give up.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:24 PM

14,042 posts, read 8,192,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
At this point, I have a feeling that even with proper documentation this will go nowhere. I give up. They win. I want clean air so I'm the bad guy. Remember that...

You can continue to moan/groan about how unfair life is or start doing something. You said earlier management told you to ask security but when you did they wouldn't come into your apartment.

Go back to management and ask them to speak directly with security so the next time they will come inside.

Then you will have the issue documented.

Next go to the Phx landlord/renter department. It's a drop-in department located in downtown Phx. Ask what are your options.

You might be able to ask for moving cost if you decide to leave the building and go somewhere else.

But you need this business about pot smoke clearly documented.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 AM

3,714 posts, read 2,446,841 times
Quote:
I was told it is not illegal if you have it for medical use. Seems like slow torture to me. Nothing beats clean air in my opinion.
Thanks, Miss.

OK.

In WA state, before it was legalized, anybody could get a medical card for pot from a Doc.

My uncle and others did.

"I have a hang nail. Weed helps alleviate the condition

Boom: pot med card.

I'm totally for decriminalizing MJ. I don't smoke it.

But yeah, don't harm my lungs or well-being.

It's a shame there's no law that says you cannot stink up your neighbor's residence and health.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:54 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,346,883 times
Quote:
Why would a single person need a huge house? Seems silly to me. I could see if you have children, etc. but not everybody needs all that space. Many people prefer to rent than own.
Why is every house huge? Mine is less than 900 square feet, smaller than many apartments. It's the perfect amount of space and I don't have to share walls.

About 15 years ago I went through something similar, but it was cigarette smoke. It bled through every crevice in the apartment. My clothes smelled like it (I don't smoke) and it started to cause health problems. I would have bronchitis-like symptoms that lasted months. When I went away on a 3 day work trip, my symptoms disappeared. After the 3 days away, my coughing and chest congestion came back. Property management wouldn't do anything, maintenance came over to check out the smell and said they smelled nothing. (Found out later they were smokers, too, so probably couldn't?) I was not offered anything, not to move, not to get out of the lease, so in your case that's good that they at least offered that! Finally just moved and broke the lease and bought a house and that was the end of that.

Why won't you take their offer of moving to a new unit, especially if the smell is making you ill? had I been offered to move in my situation above, I would have seriously considered it.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 AM

586 posts, read 545,074 times
You could try getting an air purifier and see if it helps. I use one in a room with my stinky hockey equipment and it removes most of the odor.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 AM

679 posts, read 884,412 times
Ohhhhh, the humanity! Sorry, but I call bull****.

Signed,
One of those always stoned, good for nothing potheads.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Ohhhhh, the humanity! Sorry, but I call bull****.

Signed,
One of those always stoned, good for nothing potheads.
Why are you calling BS? I don't smoke and I've had neighbors in the past who smoked like chimneys. My apartment and my clothing smelled like cigarette smoke. OP's issue is entirely believable. Many renters don't realize there are now non-smoking apartment complexes.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
You could try getting an air purifier and see if it helps. I use one in a room with my stinky hockey equipment and it removes most of the odor.
That's actually a good idea. Maybe several, in the key rooms? OP, you can't leave the air vents closed forever.

Although if it were me, I'd either move to another unit in the complex or break the lease (if management offered to let you do that). Tells me they've had other complaints about smokers in the complex.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,030,097 times
Quote:
Why would a single person need a huge house? Seems silly to me. I could see if you have children, etc. but not everybody needs all that space. Many people prefer to rent than own.

Not all houses are McMansions. I know someone that lives in a 950 sq foot 2 bedroom HOUSE. So there are options if you so desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area