Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:53 AM

5 posts, read 17,465 times

Advertisements

He's in his late teens and I don't know what to do about it. I'm in my mid 20s and I've been there and done that, and I know from personal experience that it is not a good path to take. I don't want him to give in to other temptations or fall behind in college.

Any feedback or suggestions would help. I'm very much upset to have discovered this habit of his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 02:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyfx View Post
He's in his late teens and I don't know what to do about it. I'm in my mid 20s and I've been there and done that, and I know from personal experience that it is not a good path to take. I don't want him to give in to other temptations or fall behind in college.

Any feedback or suggestions would help. I'm very much upset to have discovered this habit of his.
If you guys are close; then talk to him, without condemning him (you don't want him to clam up) and shut you out. You have to get in his head and see him through this phase that he may be going through. Just my .$.02 worth
God Bless

Old 11-23-2007, 03:10 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
I have a lot of friends who grew up with pot. Paul McCartney smokes pot and so does Willy Nelson. You can advise him against it, but there's not much more you can do.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:16 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,369,172 times
If you've been there and done that then perhaps he will as well. I know I have... and others like me.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
If you guys are close; then talk to him, without condemning him (you don't want him to clam up) and shut you out.
God Bless
I agree. If you think you can address the issue without him just getting defensive, go for it. Sometimes the fact that you've" been there, done that, got the coffee mug" so to speak and regret it can give you more authority to speak into the situation than you would have otherwise.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:

Does he center around smoking pot? or is just partying and smoking? how often?
You can get him interested in some activity that smoking pot won't be an enjoyable thing to do at the same time, maybe he could loose intrest in it. a lot of time it's the friends he hangs out with, if you get him interested in something else maybe he will find new friends and of course having a friendly talk may help but in the end he will do what he wants.
I smoked a lot of weed when I was younger but it's differant now with the drug testing, it would be hard to get a job, one of my Neice can't pass a drug test due to smoking the bud, my wife had her a good job but she didn't go knowing she couldn't pass.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 17,465 times
He and I are definitely not close. We haven't been for years. He's the 'know-it-all' type, as I'm sure most kids are these days. When I caught him the first time, I yelled at him like no tomorrow. I'll definitely take some time to think things through and try and talk to him calmly. Lately, it's all I could think about. As an older bro, I really don't want him to end up like the countless potheads I've come to know.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:38 PM

223 posts, read 694,300 times
Quote:
He and I are definitely not close. We haven't been for years. He's the 'know-it-all' type, as I'm sure most kids are these days. When I caught him the first time, I yelled at him like no tomorrow. I'll definitely take some time to think things through and try and talk to him calmly. Lately, it's all I could think about. As an older bro, I really don't want him to end up like the countless potheads I've come to know.
One of my friends in HS was a major pothead. When his parents found out, they shipped his butt off to the marines. It actually straightened him out, he doesn't touch the stuff now. But I do not recommend something that drastic, just figure out what motivates him to smoke weed and hopefully help him resolve those problems.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
My younger brother started doing this. He's a great deal younger than I am, around fifteen years. I have a good number of friends that smoke pot-- I love many of them, it's just what they do and in some ways it does put a crimp on our relationship.

So I took him to see them in various situations. The successful potsmoker, who happens to be a partner at my firm, and the less successful ones. What I tried to communicate, without actually letting him know that's what I was doing, was that the use of pot for many of these people did not come from a positive place. There was a certain laziness, a certain selfishness, in continually getting high that I wanted him to see.

When that failed (I've won several impossible cases but human nature is a court no one's ever successfully litigated) I took him to my masseuse. This guy's 6'5, Nordic, blond with a sexy goatee and muscled like an ox. It confirmed that my younger bro is gay. It also let me use the cheapest trick of all in manipulating even baser senses He doesn't smoke pot anymore out of the prospect that his odds at getting with Mr. Blond Beard are nil if he's high.

I'm a lawyer. I don't play fair.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
I have a couple of friends who still get high on a daily basis. The last time I went to visit them, it struck me as to, wow, so this is what they do all day. For the husband, an entire saturday off from work was based on getting high and drinking beer. My girlfriend was getting stoned too. It gets hard to carry on a conversation with the two of them. It's like they married each other for an excuse to stay stoned all the time. There is something about getting stoned all day, every day, which doesn't appeal to me at all. I think coldwine struck is right. There is something "lazy" and "selfish" about it. Pot heads are not violent people, but they do sort of copy out on life in their own little way.

I never liked pot. I always hated getting high. It just made me feel alienated and spaced out. I did used to enjoy drinking though but gave that up a year ago too. I'm not an alcoholic, I just got tired of how drinking made me feel.

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships