Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Not sure I understand. That construction is probably making it more difficult to get to the middle of town from the far west side, but has no impact whatsoever on the traffic IN central Phoenix. The completion of the new freeway, while enabling more sprawl, will indeed have a beneficial effect on I-10 traffic. It won't help with the increasing logjam on surface streets, though, which is what I was talking about.
What "sprawl" is the South Mountain freeway going to enable? The land south is protected Reservation land...Ahwautukee is pretty much built out to the north and Laveen was built up during the home building boom. ????

If anything, once it is completed, it is going to lighten up traffic in downtown. People and trucks that are passing through town won't have to go through downtown now. The shipping warehouses etc. on the West Side going to distributions centers in Mesa and Chandler can bypass downtown. Gas trucks...depending on their routes, can go around from the bladders on the West Side to the East Valley...not that they all will of course but at least there is an alternate route.

I do feel sorry for the people that moved to Ahwautukee years ago thinking they had found a quiet pocket of the city and wouldn't have to deal with stuff north of South Mountain unless they wanted to though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 05:29 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
^ This!

Phoenix is turning into garbage. Roads are crumbling, pollution is getting worse, traffic is becoming a burden, etc. Im not sure Im gonna last 5-10 more years here. Every bonehead from CA, IL, NY, NJ, MN, TX, FL, etc, comes here for the sun, but doesn't give one squat about this place, its culture, or its cleanliness. All you see are their cars, festooned with their home team stickers, or those ridiculous "home" stickers (the ones with their home state outlines). Zero pride in their new home here in AZ. They just use and abuse this place, just like illegal immigrants do to this country. They're not here to better themselves or the area, just to come here to escape the hellholes they left, and drag their old BS here with them.
I would agree with just about all of this. It's taken me about eight years to finally feel like Arizona is "my state." I tried hard to hang on to all things Michigan. It's dumb. If you live here, you need to assimilate. I wish I would have had this mindset sooner.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:35 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Someone posted that the county is growing by 200 people every day. With that kind of influx, it’s literally just a matter of time until Phoenix reaches LA level traffic congestion. But don’t worry, midwesterners, you don’t have to shovel traffic!
Maybe a matter of 50 years.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That's just the city of Phoenix, if the whole metro were only adding 25K per year it would be a really slow growth period for Phoenix historically.

The metro added about 4x that total. Phoenix metro added nearly 100,000 residents from July 1, 2017, to July 2018. During that 12-month period, the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale metro gained 96,268 people — good enough to be the second fastest-growing metro in the U.S. behind Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington in Texas, which welcomed 131,767 new people during the same period. Based on the annual gains, that means an average of 263 people move to the Valley daily. https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2019/04/18/maricopa-county-still-fastest-growing-in-country.html
The Phoenix metropolitan area is definitely not growing by 100,000 people a year. I read it was about 65,000.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Even with additional freeways, don't expect traffic in Phoenix to become any lighter, especially with all the growth. It's already a big enough of a city as it is, and it will keep on getting bigger for the foreseeable future. If we like the growth, the sprawl, and the progress, then we just have to take the good with the bad. You can't expect a city of over 1.6 million to have the traffic equivalent of a small town. It's just not possible!
Luckily Phoenix has much better traffic than other metro areas of similar size such as Boston and San Francisco because Phoenix is much more spread out.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:30 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
The Phoenix metropolitan area is definitely not growing by 100,000 people a year. I read it was about 65,000.
Per the US Census Bureau: Maricopa County added 81,244 people from July 2017 to June 2018 — equal to more than 200 people a day.

More than 122,000 people moved to the state between July 1, 2017 and July 1, 2018.

So by locolife's article, Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa gained a net of 96,268, Maricopa County added a net of 81,244 and the state added a net of 122,000.

https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news...ulation-growth

Old 11-07-2019, 02:48 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
^ This!

Phoenix is turning into garbage. Roads are crumbling, pollution is getting worse, traffic is becoming a burden, etc. Im not sure Im gonna last 5-10 more years here. Every bonehead from CA, IL, NY, NJ, MN, TX, FL, etc, comes here for the sun, but doesn't give one squat about this place, its culture, or its cleanliness. All you see are their cars, festooned with their home team stickers, or those ridiculous "home" stickers (the ones with their home state outlines). Zero pride in their new home here in AZ. They just use and abuse this place, just like illegal immigrants do to this country. They're not here to better themselves or the area, just to come here to escape the hellholes they left, and drag their old BS here with them.
I wouldn't quite go so far to say that Phoenix is turning into garbage. We're not quite yet at garbage level status like Detroit, Baltimore, etc. Phoenix is actually a pretty clean city in comparison. Yes, we have big city problems like traffic, crime, and pollution ... but sorry to say that's part of life in a place that has mushroomed from a mid sized city to one of the nation's largest in just a few decades.

I definitely agree about many of the transplants who move here just for the sunshine, and don't care about much else. In my own experience, I found that many of the ones who are just here because it's sunnier & warmer than where they came from are the mediocre types who have little or no ambition to make anything of themselves. Their main goal is sitting by the pool or gawking at the mountains, and the hell with the more important matters in life. They don't care about our sports teams or anything we have to offer, but instead keep babbling on about the things they left behind when they moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Luckily Phoenix has much better traffic than other metro areas of similar size such as Boston and San Francisco because Phoenix is much more spread out.
Also because Phoenix doesn't have the bad roads or frequent inclement weather that warrants slower driving & causes increased traffic jams. Regardless, traffic is worse than it used to be, and rush hour is lasting longer. But again, that's life in a big city.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
What "sprawl" is the South Mountain freeway going to enable? The land south is protected Reservation land...Ahwautukee is pretty much built out to the north and Laveen was built up during the home building boom. ????
If you make it easier to get to and from the extremes people are more apt to buy/build homes there. Most people wouldn't consider buying a home in Goodyear if they worked in Queen Creek. Or vice versa. With this marvelous new thoroughfare, there will be morons who do just that. Presto! More homes in BFE at both ends. More desert bulldozed. More demands that the rest of us pay for their infrastructure. More carbon emissions. And so on.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 PM

154 posts, read 74,248 times
Phoenix doesn't have California traffic quite yet but sadly I think it's only a matter of time.
People are moving here in droves from California because of their high cost of living, stupid politics, natural disasters, and so on. Who can blame them?
I don't think being spread out makes better traffic. If anything it makes it worse because people have to drive so far. Things are scattered all over including a lot of jobs.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 AM

268 posts, read 216,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I would agree with just about all of this. It's taken me about eight years to finally feel like Arizona is "my state." I tried hard to hang on to all things Michigan. It's dumb. If you live here, you need to assimilate. I wish I would have had this mindset sooner.
I always thought to assimilate would be to be a good citizen and pay taxes. What team you root for just doesn't matter in my opinion. Cities with high transplants are going to have a segment of the population that isn't going to root for local teams. Also, have to remember a lot of individuals don't even stay in the area long, 2-5 years and they are moving somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area